WI-FI on Star Pride

molemaui

I realize WI-Fi is location dependent when on a ship but some ships have much better WI-Fi than others. How is the WI-Fi on the Star Pride? Will be sailing east coast-Caribbean. 

Also, initial paperwork shows one device. If we both purchase the "All Inclusive" package, do we both get a device? (Oceania only allows one device per stateroom unless you're in a larger suite). 

Thanks-need to do some minor work on board and trying to check in advance. 

6 hours ago, molemaui said:

I realize WI-Fi is location dependent when on a ship but some ships have much better WI-Fi than others. How is the WI-Fi on the Star Pride? Will be sailing east coast-Caribbean. 

Also, initial paperwork shows one device. If we both purchase the "All Inclusive" package, do we both get a device? (Oceania only allows one device per stateroom unless you're in a larger suite). 

Thanks-need to do some minor work on board and trying to check in advance. 

If the numbers "1,2" precede the "unlimited wifi" line on your paperwork, each of you will have wifi on one device.

Yes, two packages, two devices, and that means simultaneous, I use by phone on deck, and then can work on the laptop in the cabin later.  The signin system is web based now, and much easier to use once you get the hang of it.  I showed many pax how to do it.

The service itself, remains wildly erratic, set your expectations low and you might be lucky. On the breeze last fall you had to re-login each time you move to a different router. Really annoying.

We were on Star Pride for 18 days last month. It was a port intensive itinerary with only 3 sea days. Our T-Mobile phone plan provides unlimited LTE/3G/5G roaming and text messaging in virtually all countries in the world. We just used our phones when we were in port. The cellular connections ashore were so sophisticated and strong, we were picking up the land-based cellular signals onboard, even when we were miles from the coast.

The onboard cell service plans were rather pricey (i.e. $35/day =/-). Even the ship's front office was advising against it; they were offering a "1-day-free-trial-see-if-you-like-it" before you had to commit. When the ship's officers are discouraging the onboard internet package, you know that it is not of much useful value. Go with very low expectations and plan to use your land-based services when ashore as a more reliable back-up "plan B".

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off Star Pride yesterday.  We purchased the ALL IN pre-cruise and it included wifi for one device for both of us.  However, it was pretty slow most of the cruise in Iceland.  Internet service may be better in the Caribbean but for the last three days it was almost unusable.....just difficult to connect.