Damage to clothing, soot from funnel

bobstheboy

5 minutes ago, Tierun said:

I understand. The obc might have been a better solution while actually onboard.

Exactly. They made a big thing about completing forms outlining the circumstances after laundering didn't work and saying it would be sent to MSC HQ. Wish they hadn't bothered.

We were on Carnival in May and my wife’s bathing suite was ruined from soot.  They were actually sweeping it up with brooms it was raining down like black hail. Went on all day had to close the pool because of it.  They laundered the suite and it didn’t come out. Went to customer service and we were compensated immediately on or account.  Stayed in a aft suite on Princess a couple years ago. We could not use the balcony because or soot.  They gave each of us $300 obc each.  

it’s live and learn no more aft balconies for us, but reasonably to expect to enjoy what you have paid for or not have clothing ruined.

why this would be a humorous topic is beyond me.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2022 at 5:07 PM, dmccadden said:

it’s live and learn no more aft balconies for us

100% agree.  But, it is interesting that those who have been fortunate not enough to experience the sooty conditions of some of those aft staterooms think little of our experiences.  

• Like 1

The first time we encountered a soot problem was back in the early 70s on Sitmar's TSS Fairwind.  The lesson learned was to be cautious about being downwind from the stack, especially on the aft of any ship.  It is one reason (out of several) why DW and I do not book aft balcony cabins (which are very popular with some folks) as we do not want any soot hassle.   Some CC posters (including me) have oft warned folks about aft cabins (and sitting on aft loungers) to no avail since some folks just love those aft cabins and the aft view.  We still will sit on aft sun decks/loungers on some ships, but generally do it when in swim wear or a cheap t-shirt.  

Hank

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 12:44 PM, bobstheboy said:

Having cruised for 30 years I have no intention of stopping now.

Have a nice day everyone.

On 9/11/2022 at 3:03 AM, bobstheboy said:

That is fine if you intend to cruise again within 12 months with MSC, that is the time limit given on their email.  I don't.

seems like an easy fix.   Cruise again. You said you cruise for 30 years. 
this time don’t go to the aft bar on sail away.  Lol.  
and don’t wear white.   🤣

On 9/11/2022 at 5:07 PM, dmccadden said:

We were on Carnival in May and my wife’s bathing suite was ruined from soot.

why this would be a humorous topic is beyond me.

I pray for your sake that your wife never finds out your referred to her swimwear as a bathing "suite."

😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2