Damage to clothing, soot from funnel

bobstheboy

Whilst onboard Virtuosa, soot damaged my shirt and trousers. Several others had the same experience. Reported, clothes sent for cleaning but the soot wasn't removed. Forms filled onboard and reported when we returned. Six weeks later I have received an Email with an attached voucher for £50 OBC.

I want recompense for replacement items, a reasonable £70. Any advice welcomed.

38 minutes ago, carlmm said:

That you got a compensation on top of cleaning is far above what I know from cruise lines.

Agree. We were on Disney once and the a/c flooded from the ceiling soaking EVERYTHING in our closet.  Disney laundered the clothes; that was it.

After the items had been laundered, there was a note stating that they had been unable to remove the soot stains. Our cabin steward told me to tell customer services so it could be reported. Customer services filled in a report, stating that the items were damaged beyond repair and gave me a copy. They said to contact MSC shore side customer services, who would electronically be able to see the ships report and assess compensation.

Why go through all this if they don't give compensation ? 

LOL - on my first cruise in 1976, I had my bathing suit spotted with soot.

I learned from that experience  that it can happen on a ship.

I am surprised they gave you any compensation.  How much would it cost to go to a local charity shop and replace your worn clothing with worn clothing?

• Like 2

Just now, Homosassa said:

LOL - on my first cruise in 1976, I had my bathing suit spotted with soot.

I learned from that experience  that it can happen on a ship.

I am surprised they gave you any compensation.  How much would it cost to go to a local charity shop and replace your worn clothing with worn clothing?

So funny. 

18 minutes ago, styles27 said:

Wow I guess I’ve been lucky as I’ve never heard of this happening in over 40 yrs of cruising. 

How does the soot get on clothes? Did you lean against something or is it just in the air?  

If I had lent on something I would not expect compensation. It was a sailaway and we were on the aft bar area and soot was in the air. About 10 people were affected, my trousers and shirt were spotted all over !!

• Like 1

I assume this posting is meant as a joke to see who can post the most ludicrous request that’s ever been made. If not, I suggest either not cruising in the future, or making sure you are always up wind of the fall out from the smokestacks.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LTCruzer said:

I assume this posting is meant as a joke to see who can post the most ludicrous request that’s ever been made. If not, I suggest either not cruising in the future, or making sure you are always up wind of the fall out from the smokestacks.

Having cruised for 30 years I have no intention of stopping now.

Have a nice day everyone.

2 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

Having cruised for 30 years I have no intention of stopping now.

Have a nice day everyone.

So the posting was intended as a joke since you obviously have experienced issues with soot on other ships in 30 years of cruising.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

If I had lent on something I would not expect compensation. It was a sailaway and we were on the aft bar area and soot was in the air. About 10 people were affected, my trousers and shirt were spotted all over !!

A similar occurrence years ago aboard a now defunct cruise line when one of our party sat down out on deck and soot got on his Armani pants. The cleaning didn't help then either and I think he got $50 obc back then (30 years ago ?). Though he claimed the pants were even more $$. Lesson we learned is to always keep extra towels around to cover all furniture , indoors and out, and I always like to wear black slacks, never shorts on a cruise.

Edited by morpheusofthesea

The possibility of soot landing on those/things aft of the funnel?  Be thankful that does not happen.  One reason why I will never, ever again book an aft balcony stateroom or suite.  Experienced being the occupant of a aft Neptune Suite on HAL.  My initial experience was shortly after I entered my suite.  I went out on the veranda, put my hands on the rail, I saw black residue.  I got a towel and wiped the rail.  The white towel became black!  I learned how to deal with this during that cruise.  But, no more aft staterooms!

I sailed on a round trip on the S. S. Badger and had some soot on the shirt I was wearing, but, the shirt was not damaged when I laundered it.  Maybe soot from burning coal is different from soot from burning the fuel ocean sailing ships use?  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

Yikes. I’ll definitely be more aware of this now. Not great to be breathing that stuff in as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you have not discarded the clothing, try using chalk on the spots.  The compensation in and of itself was unusual.  Sorry that happened to you but from what I've read on other forums, it is not uncommon.  Never mind those trying to be funny at your expense!  Cruise on.

On 8/26/2022 at 6:17 PM, bobstheboy said:

After the items had been laundered, there was a note stating that they had been unable to remove the soot stains. Our cabin steward told me to tell customer services so it could be reported. Customer services filled in a report, stating that the items were damaged beyond repair and gave me a copy. They said to contact MSC shore side customer services, who would electronically be able to see the ships report and assess compensation.

Why go through all this if they don't give compensation ? 

You reported that you received a voucher for £50 OBC....they clearly assessed compensation, and concluded that was sufficient! 😉 

Why would you say they didn't provide compensation?

11 hours ago, hamrag said:

You reported that you received a voucher for £50 OBC....they clearly assessed compensation, and concluded that was sufficient! 😉 

Why would you say they didn't provide compensation?

That is fine if you intend to cruise again within 12 months with MSC, that is the time limit given on their email.  I don't.