Has anyone dived with the PG dive team lately?

Leejnd4

I just finalized my booking for a PG cruise next year, and I'm SUPER excited about getting back to FP! I haven't been on the PG in several years. Wondering if anyone has worked with their dive team lately. Mainly, I wanted to know if they require a logbook in addition to your cert card.

I've got well over 600 dives and I dive so often that I stopped logging dives years ago. Most of my dives are either off the beach or our own boat, so I don't really have a reason to log. Hoping they don't require a log book, but if they do, I can start logging my dives going forward so I at least have something to show. But I'd rather not bother if I don't have to. 😉 

Also, I would love any feedback on the best dive sites, and the ones to avoid. We're on the 10-day Society Islands & Tuomotus itinerary.

Thanks for any help!

• Like 1

I'm glad you asked this question! We are booked for August of 2023 for the 14 day. Marquesas, Toumotus ans Society Islands. We are also divers and interested in the best sites and how things work on the ship. We've been diving 25+ years. This is our first PG cruise and first time in French Polynesia. We have our own gear but I'm wondering if we should just use the gear on the ship instead of hauling ours all the way out there. 

Thanks for any information!

1 minute ago, saltrip said:

I'm glad you asked this question! We are booked for August of 2023 for the 14 day. Marquesas, Toumotus ans Society Islands. We are also divers and interested in the best sites and how things work on the ship. We've been diving 25+ years. This is our first PG cruise and first time in French Polynesia. We have our own gear but I'm wondering if we should just use the gear on the ship instead of hauling ours all the way out there. 

Thanks for any information!

Well I can only give you my personal perspective on gear, but.....after defective rental gear nearly killed me in the Galapagos some years back, I resolved to NEVER EVER EVER rent gear again. Period. So I will be bringing my own BC, reg, mask and snorkel. I understand their gear is very well maintained, but I just feel like once you're used to diving with a particularly gear configuration, having to dive with something unfamiliar can lead to task overload. Especially if you are doing photography, which I will be doing.

You will LOVE the diving in FP! Warm clear water, beautifully colorful critters, and SHARKS! It's been a number of years since my last PG cruise, but I recall the shipboard dive op to be very professionally run. The DMs knew the sites so well, they even knew exactly what holes the eels hide in.The dives are more pricey than going with a local op such as Top Dive, but the convenience factor of being able to board the inflatable right off the ship and zoom to the dive site made it worth it to us. 

I know that there are some dive sites that are less enjoyable, with a lot of dead coral and a dearth of critters, but it's been so long and I don't remember which ones they are. I'm hoping another PG diver in this forum can tell us. 😁

Thank you for your insight. We probably will bring our own dive gear. I like the idea of the ease of diving right from the ship. We'll probably dive every chance we get. We're really looking forward to it!

• Like 1

Sadly, have not dove with the PG lately but in multiple prior visits they required logbooks for dives they considered advanced. Please report back as to the state of the coral… it took an awful hit with the crown of thorns invasion ten years ago or so but on more recent trips saw some positive signs it may be improving…bring your gear… Air Tahiti Nui  previously gave an extra bag allowance for a dive bag… should check on that. Dives off the ship are fantastically convenient. Had to use outside operator for Rangiroa… the pass was flowing in the wrong direction for our visit so dove the outer reef… spectacular! Gigantic school of ocean pike rising out of the blue to eye us… wall of silver… pod of dolphins and the usual FP sharks and turtles. You’re in for a treat. Never made it to the Marquesas but my doctor dove there (outside operator) in the blue with hammerheads.  Have fun!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sita said:

Sadly, have not dove with the PG lately but in multiple prior visits they required logbooks for dives they considered advanced. Please report back as to the state of the coral… it took an awful hit with the crown of thorns invasion ten years ago or so but on more recent trips saw some positive signs it may be improving…bring your gear… Air Tahiti Nui  previously gave an extra bag allowance for a dive bag… should check on that. Dives off the ship are fantastically convenient. Had to use outside operator for Rangiroa… the pass was flowing in the wrong direction for our visit so dove the outer reef… spectacular! Gigantic school of ocean pike rising out of the blue to eye us… wall of silver… pod of dolphins and the usual FP sharks and turtles. You’re in for a treat. Never made it to the Marquesas but my doctor dove there (outside operator) in the blue with hammerheads.  Have fun!

Got it. I'll get a log book going, so I at least have something to show. I might even be able to dig out an old log book from many years ago that has some dives in it.

Last time I did the PG was...oh gosh, I think it was around 2015. I do recall seeing the coral devastation from the crown-of-thorns invasion. Happy to hear it's been improving.

DEFINITELY bringing my gear!

I don't think we'll be flying Air Tahiti Nui - it seems Air France has started non-stops from LAX and the prices and times seem better for us. But I shouldn't need a extra bag - I won't be bringing my fins or wetsuit, and I should be able to get my BC, mask and snorkel into my suitcase. I'll bring my reg in my carry-on. I had a bad experience once when I checked my dive gear - TSA went through my bag and apparently messed around with my reg! I had it carefully packed in its case, but when my bag arrived, the case had been opened, and the reg carelessly shoved back in it with hoses all bent, the little air flow knob on my 2nd stage had been fiddled with, they'd obviously been playing with the buttons on my computer as settings were changed. I'm never checking gear again! If some overzealous TSA agent wants to mess with my life support equipment, I'm damn sure going to be watching what they do. 

I see that Top Dive runs dives in Rangiroa. I did Tiputa Pass MANY years ago, on my first PG cruise, which was around 2007 I think, and I recall it was amazing! We started outside the reef, then turned the corner into the pass and WHEE!!!! Flying like Superman! Hoping I get to do that again. And yeah, I recall lotsa hammerheads.

• Like 1

Just returned yesterday.  Three of us cruised. My husband, daughter and myself.  My husband is PADI Rescue diver, my daughter advanced and I was open water.  I lost my log book several years ago and never replaced it.  My husband offered his and nobody looked at it.  My husband and I have been diving for 30 yrs.  I have over 100 dives.  We had also been diving within the past 6 months and are in good health.  There was no problem with us doing any of the dives.  My husband and I used our own equipment since we are familiar with the equipment and have it checked yearly.  My daughter used the equipment on board.  It appeared to be fairly new and well maintained.  My husband also had an issue with one of his hoses.  They had a replacement hose on board and were able to repair it.  An impressive dive team.  Beautiful diving.  Have fun !

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lhcruzin said:

Just returned yesterday.  Three of us cruised. My husband, daughter and myself.  My husband is PADI Rescue diver, my daughter advanced and I was open water.  I lost my log book several years ago and never replaced it.  My husband offered his and nobody looked at it.  My husband and I have been diving for 30 yrs.  I have over 100 dives.  We had also been diving within the past 6 months and are in good health.  There was no problem with us doing any of the dives.  My husband and I used our own equipment since we are familiar with the equipment and have it checked yearly.  My daughter used the equipment on board.  It appeared to be fairly new and well maintained.  My husband also had an issue with one of his hoses.  They had a replacement hose on board and were able to repair it.  An impressive dive team.  Beautiful diving.  Have fun !

This is GREAT info! Thanks! I won't worry about the logbook then. I've been on the PG twice, and dove with them both times, but I just couldn't remember if they wanted to see a logbook (I probably had one with me back then). They might still have me in their records.

Any comments on particular dive sites that you feel are must-do's or not worth it? How's the health of the coral these days? 

Thank you so much for this info! Would love to also hear more about how your cruise went above the water too. 😀

@Leejnd4 hello again! Thanks for this post! 

We are on the 7night August 26, 2023. With work and the desire to extend a land trip on Moorea, we only have time for a shorter cruise but would like to return for a longer one next time. 

We are quite new to diving; just got certified in Dec 2021 in the British Virgin Islands and getting ready to head out to a dive in a few hours. We’ve only done 15 dives so far and it’s the best thing we’ve ever done. 

Our dive computer logs our dives; we will have it anyway but I guess if PG wants to see a log we will have it anyway. 
Our gear fits into this and we always carry on. To your experience, no way I’d want someone going through my gear without me watching! 

387BB5CD-0AE8-4C65-A146-A28B1E051A94.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We've sailed on the PG three times and did most of the dives each time, also booked again now for 2023. We did have our log books with us, but I don't recall anyone requiring them, although the staff did offer to sign and stamp them. My favorite sites have been Tapu at Bora Bora (lemon sharks and Napoleon wrasse) and Shark Gallery at Moorea (appropriately named!). The first two times we sailed the ship had a stop in Raiatea where we had some great dives along the Western reef in between Raiatea and Taha'a arranged by the ship with an outside operator called Hemisphere Sub, but the ship doesn't stop there anymore. We also did an outside dive in Bora Bora once at Manta Valley (yes!, mantas!) back when the mantas were prevalent, instead of the ship's TableTop dive site (which was pretty boring).  We have always brought our own gear, and the ship's dive staff managed it for us wonderfully each time. It's very nice to come down to the marina deck in the morning to find your BC and reg ready to go on a tank that is already loaded onto the zodiac.  🙂 On our last trip in 2014 the ship had issues with their zodiacs, and outsourced the dives to TopDive. We prefer the PG's staff.  🙂 Here is a video from our dives that trip, including a pre-cruise dive in Tahiti. Enjoy!  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A group of us went to FP with PG about 12 years ago and we swore we would all go back. It was a great experience, but then only a 1-tank dive. I can’t recall exactly the price/dive, but I don’t remember it being much.

Do they have 2-tank dives?  What is the cost now…? Nitrox…?

Thanx…

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2022 at 11:29 AM, Elquailo said:

We've sailed on the PG three times and did most of the dives each time, also booked again now for 2023. We did have our log books with us, but I don't recall anyone requiring them, although the staff did offer to sign and stamp them. My favorite sites have been Tapu at Bora Bora (lemon sharks and Napoleon wrasse) and Shark Gallery at Moorea (appropriately named!). 

Hey, sorry for the long delay in coming back to this thread! We've been super busy traveling around central Mexico, and now working on our boat getting it ready to put it back in the water and move back aboard. 

Anyway, fun video! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing all the sharks. We dive a lot here in Mexico, but we haven't seen a single shark. 😉 Also, thanks for the feedback on your favorite dive sites. 

On 10/6/2022 at 12:44 PM, AngloSaxonCelt said:

A group of us went to FP with PG about 12 years ago and we swore we would all go back. It was a great experience, but then only a 1-tank dive. I can’t recall exactly the price/dive, but I don’t remember it being much.

Good questions! I just went to their website and I can't seem to find any info on the actual dive excursions. I'm sure I was able to see them not too long ago, but I can't find them now! Not sure if something has changed on their website. The only shore excursions I'm seeing are everything BUT diving. If I click to filter by "watersports" it's only showing snorkeling. Even if I go to their SCUBA section and then click the link that says "To view all available dives by destination click here", when I click the link it's only taking me to their full list of shore excursions, NOT including anything about dives! Strange. 

Anybody got any insight as to how to find the list of available dives on the PG site?

On 10/6/2022 at 12:44 PM, AngloSaxonCelt said:

Thanx…

Oh, one more comment I forgot to answer in my post above: it appears they do offer Nitrox onboard. In the SCUBA certification section I saw this:

Enriched-Air Nitrox

Enriched Air Nitrox allows you to take longer dives before reaching the non-decompression limit and diminishes the risks of decompression sickness for multiple dive trips. You now have the opportunity to get your Nitrox certification on board The Gauguin. Enroll in the course and get certified for $120, including booklet.

I assume this means they have Nitrox onboard for those of us who are already certified for it.

I also found the price list, which indicates they do offer two-tank dives:

What are the prices for the dives? 

• $50 Refresher course (compulsory for those who have not been diving for over a year)
  • $99 PADI Discover SCUBA Dive course pool session
  • $129 PADI Discover SCUBA Dive course per any additional dive
  • $109 Single-tank day dive
  • $120 Single-tank night dive
  • $129 Intro dive (see question below about beginning divers who would like to try SCUBA diving)
  • $215 Two-tank day dive
Edited by Leejnd4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, liamur14 said:

😎 If you were only doing a 1 tank dive on the  Society Islands  Cruise what would it be??  Moorea, Bora Bora, Huahine? 

I don't believe they offer dives in Huahine, only Moorea and Bora Bora. My recollection is that the dives in Bora Bora were more amazing than the Moorea ones...but it's been a few years since I was there. 

Great info and dialogue! 

Here are some photos posted to another site that have some of the dive schedules. Gives an idea of some of the sites and times. My understanding/assumption is each trip is one tank and you can go back out with the second group of you wanted to do two tank…But I could be wrong there. We are doing the 7-night in Aug of 2023 and will likely do two tank in Bora Bora and one in Moorea before we debark there early. 

2249F84C-51FD-45B3-A58C-3D2B037C1253.jpeg

4F879A2A-A2A0-465D-8C4C-0D0CD5EB8FCD.jpeg

Edited by minidonuts85

On 10/18/2022 at 5:46 PM, liamur14 said:

If you're a diver do you take out special travel insurance to cover scuba diving while on vacation? 

I don't know of any travel insurance that covers scuba.  We maintain annual dive insurance through DAN (Diver Alert Network).  They also offer travel insurance as an additional add-on.

• Like 1

We are on a 14 day Tuamotus and Marquesas trip in the fall of 2023 and plan to dive most opportunities available.  It is true that if you do a two tank dive you return to the ship in between dives to drop off and pick up additional passengers based on experience from our last trip on PG.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2022 at 2:46 PM, liamur14 said:

If you're a diver do you take out special travel insurance to cover scuba diving while on vacation? 

On 10/21/2022 at 3:22 AM, shrkdive1 said:

I don't know of any travel insurance that covers scuba.  We maintain annual dive insurance through DAN (Diver Alert Network).  They also offer travel insurance as an additional add-on.

Shrkdive1 is spot on. I have my DAN insurance on auto-renewal, and have for years. If you're a scuba diver, you really should have it. I know several people who've benefited from their services when an emergency occurred. It's worth it!

On 10/18/2022 at 2:57 PM, minidonuts85 said:

Great info and dialogue! 

Here are some photos posted to another site that have some of the dive schedules. Gives an idea of some of the sites and times. My understanding/assumption is each trip is one tank and you can go back out with the second group of you wanted to do two tank…But I could be wrong there. We are doing the 7-night in Aug of 2023 and will likely do two tank in Bora Bora and one in Moorea before we debark there early. 

2249F84C-51FD-45B3-A58C-3D2B037C1253.jpeg

4F879A2A-A2A0-465D-8C4C-0D0CD5EB8FCD.jpeg

THANK YOU! This is very helpful. My cruise is a loooong way off (too long) 😉 but we're already looking at what we want to do each day. Knowing what days I'll be diving is very helpful.

• 3 months later...