Sorry! Another Dress Code question for men

TARED

I am so sorry to get everyone started on dress code. I have looked everywhere for this answer and can not find it.

So, that being said, is it acceptable for men to wear suit and tie on formal nights, dress shirt and tie on informal night, and dress pants and a collared shirt on casual nights? I have read about a jacket and shirt for informal, but not shirt and tie for informal? Thank you for all of your KIND answers :D

Dark suit and tie on formal night is fine; dress pants and collared shirt is fine for casual night; X requests that men wear a jacket and tie on informal night, though you will see many men in jacket, sans tie.

I have found Celebrity to offer conflicting information on this subject. The Caribbean brochure only mentions jacket and slacks, our recent Panama Canal transit joining instructions says jacket and tie, but the ship's daily program says jacket and slacks again. In practise on the three Celebrity cruises that we have been on in the last two years most men were wearing jackets but most including myself were without ties. So I would recommend taking a sports jacket or blazer for informal nights but leave behind the ties unless you like wearing one.

While the Celebrity publications and web site all say informal suggests a Jacket and Tie - the daily on-board daily program sheets don't mention the tie. I'd guess there are near equal numbers with and without a tie, both on normal informal nights and in the specialty restaurants.

Suit is more than fine on formal, jacket with or without tie seems to be fine on informal and a nice golf shirt or collared shirt is fine on casual. Mr Wolf does a top of the line silk t shirt with jacket on informal because (and I quote) "Only old men are wearing ties." Mr Wolf is prone to exaggeration and is no spring chicken but when a man has just become eligible for AARP its no time to debate the exact meaning of "old man." He looks great and very upscale in the jacket and shirt combo.

Suit is more than fine on formal, jacket with or without tie seems to be fine on informal and a nice golf shirt or collared shirt is fine on casual. Mr Wolf does a top of the line silk t shirt with jacket on informal because (and I quote) "Only old men are wearing ties." Mr Wolf is prone to exaggeration and is no spring chicken but when a man has just become eligible for AARP its no time to debate the exact meaning of "old man." He looks great and very upscale in the jacket and shirt combo.

Well I guess I am one of those old men:D I would not leave home with out a tie.:) Now having said that, Marti is always asking me "why do you keep buying ties?" you seldom wear them;)

Phil

Does he do the 14 pounds of gold chain with the silk t shirt. Anything less would be underdressed.

Dark suit and tie on formal night is fine; dress pants and collared shirt is fine for casual night; X requests that men wear a jacket and tie on informal night, though you will see many men in jacket, sans tie.

I do exactly as lysolqn has said. In the daily sheet delivered to your stateroom each night, if I recall correctly, it does not say tie for informal night, but the pre-cruise information does. You cannot go wrong following lysolqn's advice. :D

Ditto on informal. I wore a tux on formal nights, and just a collared shirt with a sport jacket for informal nights. The daily cruise information clearly stated a jacket, but did not state a tie. I never brought out my ties. Most men did not wear ties on informal night and I would say that is what was actually recommended. Basically conficting information from Celebrity. The preinformation and the information on board did not agree. In general, I believe that the jacket required is the current trend for informal. But I am not an expert.

The information for proper dress for men on informal nights is conflicting. However the cruise documents and the packing and dining sections of the web site note that: "The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate attire each evening." Thus, it appears that Celebrity only requires a jacket and slacks for men on informal nights because that's how the dailies define informal night attire for men. When there is a conflict between the daily program and the cruise documents or the web site, the daily program controls.

In my opinion on informal nights it is better to wear a jacket or blazer with no tie than to wear a shirt and tie and no jacket. I usually wear either a suit or a blazer and tie (and pants!).

As for what the majority do, those who wear a jacket and tie always see that the majority is wearing what they are. Those who wear a jacket with no tie always see that the majority is wearing what they are. And those who come to dinner in shorts and a t-shirt probably see that the majority are slobs like them. We tend to see what we want to see, regardless of the reality of the situation.

I think your husband will feel that he fits in the most with a suit or jacket and tie.

Allen

I do it the old fashioned way:

Casual: Collared shirt ( most often not a golf shirt), Kakhis

Informal: Suit or sport coat, dress shirt, tie.

Formal: Tuxedo. I grumble about it, but it's about the only time that I wear the thing and I might as well get some value back out of it......

The only thing that I personally object to is people who make no effort to follow the recommended dress for the evening: I do not like Hawaiian Shirts and jeans in the Dining room on Formal Nights and think that sort of person should be "sent to their rooms"......

To me it is no different from taking up a handicapped slot when you don't have a tag to do so, double parking in a fire lane at the mall because you will "just be a minute", or smoking in a non-smoking area on the ship: I object to people who assume that rules do not apply to them.

Now, of course, if I were in charge..........;)

Maybe it's just me but I find it quite annoying to find one thing on their web site and something different after we get aboard. How do they think we can follow the "recommendations" if we don't know what to pack? :rolleyes:

(Before I get flamed, I always wear my tux on formal nights).

HA HA HA - Mr Wolf is only allowed a watch and a wedding ring - the gold chain would be cause for.....well....you know. LOL

And I also add that he brings the tie because we do the specialty restaurant and he does the jacket and tie for there and then just takes the tie off after we leave the restaurant. Since that is usually a casual night I guess you could say he is overdressed then.

Allen - interesting observation. I think Mr Wolf wanted to get out of the tie and hence noticed that only men who appeared to be over 60 were wearing ties. I hadn't even noticed any magic age range on it but found it very funny that he was using it as an excuse to "appear younger." Now if people would only start calling me his daughter or his trophy wife in front of him - that would send him over the edge. Hey - a girl can dream.

Allen - interesting observation. I think Mr Wolf wanted to get out of the tie and hence noticed that only men who appeared to be over 60 were wearing ties. I hadn't even noticed any magic age range on it but found it very funny that he was using it as an excuse to "appear younger." quote]

Wolfie, tell him that your "research" indicates the men who won't wear ties generally tend to be much older guys who have gotten all crotchety and grouchy and refuse to do what's expected of them out of spite.

That same "research" indicates that the men who wear ties tend to be young at heart, debonnaire, sophisticated and more virile than their tie-less counterparts.

:D

Allen

My guy will also opt out of the tie for the silk top with sports coat at least one of the 'informal' nights. I always think he looks particularly dashing on those nights. When we did the Normandie specialty restaurant, the daily just specified jackets and not ties. As it was, we had inadvertantly made the reservation on formal night, so it was a moot point. The gentlemen did dress up the place, I must say.

Allen - will do with one small change. I will have SOMEONE ELSE tell him since I'm sure you must know that the wife never knows what she is talking about when she is trying to alter a husband's behavior. :) :)

Good point, Wolfie!

For informal as tie is required, and as I've said a hundred times...for Formal it says dark suit ,tux, or dinner jacket...I see no mention of the word 'tie'...however it IS expected.

What is SO difficult about wearing a tie? If you buy clothing that fits..it will NOT strangle you.

A jacket with out a tie is not informal, it is casual.

Thats what I was brought up to respect, and follow.

Dave:eek:

A delightful break from the ordinary, dining aboard Celebrity is a true taste of luxury. Whether dining at an intimate table for two or an elaborate table for many, appropriate attire is part of the overall ambience.

Evening Dress Codes

Celebrity's evening dress codes include three types: formal, casual and informal. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate evening attire.

Formal Night Attire

Ladies: Evening gown or fancy dress

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit

Informal Night Attire

Ladies: Informal dress or pants and blouse

Gentlemen: Jacket and tie with slacks

Casual Night Attire

Ladies: Pantsuit or sporty outfit

Gentlemen: Sport shirt and slacks

Dining in jeans detracts from the overall ambience and is therefore not allowed in the main dining room after 6:00pm.

Evening dress codes apply to main restaurant dining. Specialty restaurant dining*, requires a jacket for gentlemen and a dress or pants and a blouse for ladies every night. Before Six Dining options abound aboard Celebrity. For breakfast and lunch, jeans, shorts and casual daywear are allowed in all dining venues before 6:00pm. After 6:00pm, this attire is allowed only in casual restaurants and cafés.

Renting formalwear

Formal evenings call for formal attire. Arrange for tailored, elegant formalwear to be delivered directly to your stateroom with Cruiseline Formalwear. With an elegant line of eveningwear for ladies and classic, stylish formalwear for men, you'll look as famous as you feel.

To order, visit http://www.cruiselineformal.com

Formal Nights

Celebrity Cruises' elegant, formal evenings include the Captain's Welcome Cocktail Party and Dinner, the Captain's Farewell Dinner, and a third or fourth "formal" night for those cruises sailing more than seven nights. Eveningwear should be planned for according to the length of your cruise. The following schedule outlines the number of formal nights you'll enjoy:

Cruise length Casual Informal Formal

4-night 2 1 1

6-night 2 1 1

7-night 3 2 2

9-night 4 2 3

10-night 5 2 3

11-night 5 3 3

12-night 6 3 3

14-night 7 4 3

* Available on Millennium-class ships only.

Evening dress codes apply to main restaurant dining.

TA DA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad that this was posted from Celebrity regarding appropriate attire in THE MAIN DINING ROOM. Now we know how to dress in THE MAIN DINING ROOM. No more questions as to how we should dress in THE MAIN DINING ROOM.

Funny how everyone thought it was for the whole evening ;)

TA DA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad that this was posted from Celebrity regarding appropriate attire in THE MAIN DINING ROOM. Now we know how to dress in THE MAIN DINING ROOM. No more questions as to how we should dress in THE MAIN DINING ROOM.

Funny how everyone thought it was for the whole evening ;)

On our first cruise on Century in 2000, it definitely was written in the daily, I think as opposed to the brochure, that guests were asked to remain in formalwear for the entire evening. The ambience around the ship was beatiful as a result.

IMHO, I expect that with the introduction of casual dining options, this request could no longer be expected and so was cancelled.

Archived