Our bucket list trip! Princess - 14 day ret Vancouver or 14 day cruise tour?

Cbtours

Going to do a bucket list item so will probably be our one and only time to Alaska from Australia.

Leaning towards doing a 14 day return Grand Glacier Adventure as it will be much easier (to us) to fly in and out of Vancouver direct from Sydney, instead of 3 flights returning from Fairbanks or anchorage. We are planning to do this June 2023.

My question is, will we miss too much by not doing any land tours (eg train trip, denali, wildlife etc) or will we see similar on excursions when visiting each port twice over the 14 days? Would really appreciate feedback especially if someone has done both trips. But any info would be really appreciated.

Not sure whythis was posted twice...

I think the better choice would be a 10 day, or better yet, a 14 day cruise that doesn't repeat any port. Usually these will be roundtrip out of Vancouver,  but could be out of Seattle.  Holland America does one we did in 2019. Best of our 4 Alaska cruises.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not sure whythis was posted twice...

I think the better choice would be a 10 day, or better yet, a 14 day cruise that doesn't repeat any port. Usually these will be roundtrip out of Vancouver,  but could be out of Seattle.  Holland America does one we did in 2019. Best of our 4 Alaska cruises.

You mean me posting twice (which i tried to post one and realised i couldnt see so I repeated it😁

We have booked this exact same cruise but In July 2023. Flying from Melbourne we have noted that flights are just coming up for this time next year.

my father and brother are doing a bus tour from Calgary. The flights over stop in Vancouver and then you can catch a connection to Calgary. Once the 10 day bus trip is over they will spend a week in Vancouver. I will meet them there before the cruise.

the reason we wanted the 14 day repeat port cruise as this will give us time to really see what we want to. Having a look at the tours there is plenty of options that we love.

just be aware that June/July is a busy time over there as it can be the kids summer holidays. 

there is some great specials at the moment and as it’s on your bucket list, seriously think about doing a part land tour with the trains. 

we are flying out of Vancouver via Japan. 

• Thanks 1

First a question.  I glanced at your posting history but couldn't determine if this will be your first visit to North America, and if not, where else have you visited and when?  

The reason for asking goes like this.  One of the main goals people have in Alaska land tours following (or preceding) cruises is Denali National Park.  While there certainly are other and marvelous destinations in Southcentral and Interior Alaska besides Denali, it's the crown jewel and most cruise tours (as well as independent travelers) place a high priority on visiting Denali.

Unfortunately, the only road into the national park's interior is closed at roughly the halfway point (dealing with landslides, it requires a big work-around) and will remain so for the 2023 visitor season.  The shuttle and tour buses (no private vehicles allowed) have to turn around roughly 20 miles before the main visitor center in the park's interior, thereby reducing the chances of good views of the mountain, wildlife etc. that would ordinarily be the big attraction.  

In addition, June is early in the season for Denali, and one risks the mountain being invisible behind clouds (roughly half the visitors to Denali actually see the mountain) and depending on how the winter is, it's also on the early side for some of the wildlife to be in great evidence.  Might be, might not, but in the immortal words of Dirty Harry, do you feel lucky?  June is not, however, too early for mosquitoes.  Just right, in fact.

The cruise tour people (who own or dominate the hotel market near Denali) continue to include Denali in their itineraries, but when you look closely at their offerings, you'll see that they're much reduced in terms of actually visiting the park, out of necessity.  But they'll still charge the same.

So this comes back to my first question.  If you limited your Alaska experience to cruising, either a two-week return cruise or back-to-back one-way cruises, or even a solitary one-week return cruise, what could you do with those extra days?  

What about a road trip from Vancouver or Seattle that includes part of the Canadian west and/or US northwest?  This part of the world is pretty spectacular even leaving Alaska out of it.  

Let me suggest that you do some googling on the following areas, just to begin the discussion.

- BC Gulf Islands, BC Sunshine Coast, Vancouver Island

- US San Juan Islands

- Olympic National Park

- Columbia River Gorge and Mount Hood area

Or google the places on these maps:

Seattle - Columbia Gorge - Smith Rock - Oregon Coast loop: https://goo.gl/maps/eBkPg6jD6a4SPXqa6

Vancouver - Okanagan - Nelson - Dry Falls - Vancouver: https://goo.gl/maps/fZ34an1qcG2p5RAJ6

These are just a couple of possible road trips that would most likely be cheaper than equivalent days in Alaska, but which would include some remarkable places - "old west" scenery, winery regions, Native American communities, waterfalls, even a weird copy of Stonehenge (at Maryhill, WA.)

Just some ideas to throw into the stewpot, discard them if you want. But maybe worth some consideration.

Edited by Gardyloo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is enough to do in each port to visit 2x.

The other thing you can do is do the 7 night, stay a few days on land and then take a 7 night back to Vancouver and fly home.

This way - some ports and/or glaciers maybe different. Though if you choose to stay on the ship and go back to Vancouver, you will have an amazing trip. I have done this several times myself. Just make sure you save enough for shore excursions as some of the good ones are $$$.

Also, weather is a big issue in Alaska. If it rains on the earlier trip, then you get a 2nd chance the following week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The other thing to do is to sign up for the “typical” Australian email newsletters where travel agents sell their tours. My father managed to get a very good bus trip from Calgary to Vancouver on one of these. Date was selected as it allowed for a week in Vancouver prior to the 2 week cruise. he is doing 4 nights in Calgary prior to the land tour because of jet lag and Calgary allows for some world class day trips.

Adirondack trains travel daily between New York City and Montreal. Total trip time is about 10 hours, with many stops in upstate New York. Very scenic, it’s a popular train ride for viewing fall foliage, traveling to wineries and visiting Lake Champlain. 

you could fly into New York and then take the Adirondack train to Montreal, spend time there and then catch a flight to Vancouver.

12 hours ago, Gardyloo said:

First a question.  I glanced at your posting history but couldn't determine if this will be your first visit to North America, and if not, where else have you visited and when?  

The reason for asking goes like this.  One of the main goals people have in Alaska land tours following (or preceding) cruises is Denali National Park.  While there certainly are other and marvelous destinations in Southcentral and Interior Alaska besides Denali, it's the crown jewel and most cruise tours (as well as independent travelers) place a high priority on visiting Denali.

Unfortunately, the only road into the national park's interior is closed at roughly the halfway point (dealing with landslides, it requires a big work-around) and will remain so for the 2023 visitor season.  The shuttle and tour buses (no private vehicles allowed) have to turn around roughly 20 miles before the main visitor center in the park's interior, thereby reducing the chances of good views of the mountain, wildlife etc. that would ordinarily be the big attraction.  

In addition, June is early in the season for Denali, and one risks the mountain being invisible behind clouds (roughly half the visitors to Denali actually see the mountain) and depending on how the winter is, it's also on the early side for some of the wildlife to be in great evidence.  Might be, might not, but in the immortal words of Dirty Harry, do you feel lucky?  June is not, however, too early for mosquitoes.  Just right, in fact.

The cruise tour people (who own or dominate the hotel market near Denali) continue to include Denali in their itineraries, but when you look closely at their offerings, you'll see that they're much reduced in terms of actually visiting the park, out of necessity.  But they'll still charge the same.

So this comes back to my first question.  If you limited your Alaska experience to cruising, either a two-week return cruise or back-to-back one-way cruises, or even a solitary one-week return cruise, what could you do with those extra days?  

What about a road trip from Vancouver or Seattle that includes part of the Canadian west and/or US northwest?  This part of the world is pretty spectacular even leaving Alaska out of it.  

Let me suggest that you do some googling on the following areas, just to begin the discussion.

- BC Gulf Islands, BC Sunshine Coast, Vancouver Island

- US San Juan Islands

- Olympic National Park

- Columbia River Gorge and Mount Hood area

Or google the places on these maps:

Seattle - Columbia Gorge - Smith Rock - Oregon Coast loop: https://goo.gl/maps/eBkPg6jD6a4SPXqa6

Vancouver - Okanagan - Nelson - Dry Falls - Vancouver: https://goo.gl/maps/fZ34an1qcG2p5RAJ6

These are just a couple of possible road trips that would most likely be cheaper than equivalent days in Alaska, but which would include some remarkable places - "old west" scenery, winery regions, Native American communities, waterfalls, even a weird copy of Stonehenge (at Maryhill, WA.)

Just some ideas to throw into the stewpot, discard them if you want. But maybe worth some consideration.

Thanks for all the info. Not being adventurers we prefer not to drive ourselves, the reason we love cruising so much is we don't have to find our way and just get off and sight see with no stress. The info re Denali, and timings are very helpful 

8 hours ago, Coral said:

There is enough to do in each port to visit 2x.

The other thing you can do is do the 7 night, stay a few days on land and then take a 7 night back to Vancouver and fly home.

This way - some ports and/or glaciers maybe different. Though if you choose to stay on the ship and go back to Vancouver, you will have an amazing trip. I have done this several times myself. Just make sure you save enough for shore excursions as some of the good ones are $$$.

Also, weather is a big issue in Alaska. If it rains on the earlier trip, then you get a 2nd chance the following week.

Thanks for your info. I'm sure we will love it whatever we do.

• Like 1

Just some random thoughts from someone who lives in Alaska.  We live about a two drive north of the entrance to Denali National Park.

As @Gardyloo has mentioned the only road into Denali National Park was closed in August 2021 at the section road called "Pretty Rocks" which is located at approximately mile 42.  The road was originally built on an area of ice rich land, the ice is melting and the road is sliding off the mountain side.  While the NPS has obtained funding the bridge the problematic area this is a major project given the magnitude of the problem.  No one knows when the road will be re-opened past Pretty Rocks, but it could be several years.  I've always thought that visitors who don't go into the park as far as Eielson Visitor's Center (mile 66) short change themselves as not only are the displays at EVC great some of the prime wild life viewing areas are between Pretty Rocks and EVC.

An interesting idea for our OPs to consider is a visit to Wrangell -- St. Elias National Park & Preserve.  Princess does land tours in this area of Alaska.  In addition to Wrangell -- St. Elias the Kennecott Mines National Historic Landmark is in this area, as is the interesting community of McCarthy.  The community of Valdez and Prince William Sound are also in the area.  The Princess Lodge in this area is the Copper River Princess.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Northern Aurora said:

Just some random thoughts from someone who lives in Alaska.  We live about a two drive north of the entrance to Denali National Park.

As @Gardyloo has mentioned the only road into Denali National Park was closed in August 2021 at the section road called "Pretty Rocks" which is located at approximately mile 42.  The road was originally built on an area of ice rich land, the ice is melting and the road is sliding off the mountain side.  While the NPS has obtained funding the bridge the problematic area this is a major project given the magnitude of the problem.  No one knows when the road will be re-opened past Pretty Rocks, but it could be several years.  I've always thought that visitors who don't go into the park as far as Eielson Visitor's Center (mile 66) short change themselves as not only are the displays at EVC great some of the prime wild life viewing areas are between Pretty Rocks and EVC.

An interesting idea for our OPs to consider is a visit to Wrangell -- St. Elias National Park & Preserve.  Princess does land tours in this area of Alaska.  In addition to Wrangell -- St. Elias the Kennecott Mines National Historic Landmark is in this area, as is the interesting community of McCarthy.  The community of Valdez and Prince William Sound are also in the area.  The Princess Lodge in this area is the Copper River Princess.

Thanks for the info! Collecting and researching all these.

10 hours ago, Coral said:

I get about driving. It is an easy drive in that area but I am the first one who has no desire to drive in a foreign country.

Esp on the “wrong side of the road” lol

53 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

Esp on the “wrong side of the road” lol

I completely agree. I just told a friend that I was glad she did a Globus tour in Ireland for a pre-cruise to Princess British Isles as Ireland countryside is so beautiful but I would never do it on my own driving.

There are some train tours for Alaska. If I have time, I will look it up.

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1