Tendering Process - Skagway

johnintx

We are scheduled to be on Royal Caribbean Ovation of the Seas, arriving in Skagway on September 5. Our ship looks to be scheduled to be using tenders to get to shore, due to the rockslide issues with the dock.

Is anyone familiar with the tendering process? How long does it take to tender? Our ship is scheduled to arrive at 7 am. We have an excursion (not booked through RC) at 9 am. Will we be able to make the excursion?

My wife was told by someone that took another cruise line that those who booked that cruise line were grouped together and tendered out first. Anyone that booked excursions outside the cruise line was in danger of missing their excursion, and some were left behind. I'm not sure how Royal Caribbean handles this.

We purchased The Key, which is supposed to provide priority boarding for tender ports.

Thanks!

Once tied up to the rear dock - the tender life boats are used on the other side of the ship.

Each cruise line is perhaps different but generally all immediate shore excursions sponsored

by the cruise line are given priority to get off the ship and to get to their tours.

It is a hassle but with 6-8 life boats available 150+ folks can be handled at a time.

The short putt-putt distance to the marina harbor takes about 5-10 minutes and then

returns back to the ship for a second trip while other life boats are being loaded.

In a span of about a half hour 500 or more guests can be handled.

500 is 1/8th the capacity of the huge ships 

Should be no problem getting all shore excursion guests accommodated within the hour

There could be a problem at the tender point - the harbor marina being overtaxed with the

volume of tender lifeboat traffic. I am sure that the shore excursions are definitely going to

wait to accommodate their paid numbers

The return to the ship later in the day is less hectic as guests trickle back to board

the tenders.

7 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

It is a hassle but with 6-8 life boats available 150+ folks can be handled at a time.

When functioning as tenders, capacity is usually 100 people. Only when functioning as a life boat does capacity become 150 people.

For the OP, most cruise lines absolutely give priority to ship's excursions. But many think ALL of the excursions all leave within the first 30 or 60 minutes of arriving, when in fact, there will also be excursions that leave at staggered times throughout the day. And not every passenger will be taking a ship's excursion.

Nobody will be able to guarantee you make your 9am excursion. Do everything you can according to RCI's procedures to get off ASAP...tender tickets, whatever, (I don't know anything about The Key, or how that helps you). Is your private excursion just for you? If so, they will likely wait for you. If its a group, they will probably wait a little bit...they know the situation due to the tendering.

Smart tendering operation there is no need to PACK to capacity the number of guests going a shore.

As Cruiser Bruce noted just filling each tender to effect the rapid movement of guests to their

tour or simply off the ship. This would also effect the off/on loading at the marina - fewer guests

make the turn around time more efficient.

There is a concern about getting to ones tour but the tour operators no doubt are seasoned

enough to work things out - ah er weather permitting of course ! 

Thanks for the responses!

I called both my tour operator and RC, and we should be ok.

The Key is a priority service available for a fee on a limited basis. Among the benefits are priority boarding at tender ports.

Again, thanks!

8 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

There could be a problem at the tender point - the harbor marina being overtaxed with the

volume of tender lifeboat traffic. I am sure that the shore excursions are definitely going to

wait to accommodate their paid numbers

We were in Skagway twice in June.  The first time was a few days before the slide and the next week was after the slide.  We were B2B on the Celebrity Solstice.  While the Solstice is significantly smaller than the Ovation of the Seas it isn't a 800 passenger ship either.  

The Skagway small boat harbor is generally very "sleepy."  It was definitely not  over taxed.  The tenders had multiple slots to tie up to the pier.  

But to @johnintx : Someone has posted a detailed description of their Ovation tender process in Skagway.  Since I don't read the RC board it must have been on one of the threads about the Skagway rock slide on this Alaska forum.  

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 10:42 AM, CruiserBruce said:

When functioning as tenders, capacity is usually 100 people. Only when functioning as a life boat does capacity become 150 people.

For the OP, most cruise lines absolutely give priority to ship's excursions. But many think ALL of the excursions all leave within the first 30 or 60 minutes of arriving, when in fact, there will also be excursions that leave at staggered times throughout the day. And not every passenger will be taking a ship's excursion.

Nobody will be able to guarantee you make your 9am excursion. Do everything you can according to RCI's procedures to get off ASAP...tender tickets, whatever, (I don't know anything about The Key, or how that helps you). Is your private excursion just for you? If so, they will likely wait for you. If its a group, they will probably wait a little bit...they know the situation due to the tendering.

We just sailed Ovation earlier this month and on the tenders out into Skagway in the morning they definitely went over that 100 passenger suggestion. I overheard the crew say how many, I can’t remember exactly but I think it was close to 120. They had large groups for different ship sponsored excursions and they were determined we’d all fit on one tender. We did, but it was close quarters.

The tender process was fine, honestly. They were very efficient and organized in moving guests from the theater to the tender promptly. 

Coming back was much easier. The tenders would leave the instant they had enough passengers to make a trip.

@johnintx if you aren’t on a ship tour, just be sure to get an early tender ticket and you’ll be absolutely fine. I never noticed the Key signage while on board but I’m sure it will help to get you off quickly.  Have a great time!

Edited by SecretSK
  • Like 1

As with any tendering process - if you have status - In a Suite or high class cabin -

Frequent guest of the cruise line - have Concierge services or other qualifying elements -

Do take advantage of it taking the tender at first opportunity to make the most of your time.

If mobility impaired let the cruise line know adequately in advance to allow quality time

for the tender that suits you best. 

• Like 1