A video that really gives an honest perspective

coaster

• Love older and smaller ships. Sailed many NCL ships in the 90's that were also older and smaller and continue to sail Royal's older ones.  I have always wanted to go on the former Grand Classica since Bahamas Paradise bought it. Love the traditional public areas. Lots of quiet nooks to sit in. All the marble is very classy.

But.... Astroturf on the top deck? Looks hideous and so cheap. The arcade machines in the observatory.  Who would want to sit there with the arcade machine sounds and the slamming  of the table hockey and basketball hoop game? Ruins a great space with perfect 360 views of the outside. A design team approve this stuff? Or was there one? 

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1

• coaster changed the title to A video that really gives an honest perspective
35 minutes ago, coaster said:
  • Love older and smaller ships. Sailed many NCL ships in the 90's that were also older and smaller and continue to sail Royal's older ones.  I have always wanted to go on the former Grand Classica since Bahamas Paradise bought it. Love the traditional public areas. Lots of quiet nooks to sit in. All the marble is very classy.

But.... Astroturf on the top deck? Looks hideous and so cheap. The arcade machines in the observatory.  Who would want to sit there with the arcade machine sounds and the slamming  of the table hockey and basketball hoop game? Ruins a great space with perfect 360 views of the outside. A design team approve this stuff? Or was there one? 

It was all there before.

23 hours ago, coaster said:

The astroturf and arcade machines were on the Classica.  We’ve been on Classica 4 times, and have never seen anyone play the games, most of the time out of service. That area was not really used, but looks like it may be used on Margaritaville.

We have not been on Margaritaville, but a friend just took it, and said she had a great time and would do it again. (Although that’s not a review)

• Like 1

I had a friend go on it last week, and am waiting for an assessment.  But from the photos I saw her post on Facebook, it seemed like they had fun.  The one thing I do recall her saying is that she thought the food was better than she expected.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

I had a friend go on it last week, and am waiting for an assessment.  But from the photos I saw her post on Facebook, it seemed like they had fun.  The one thing I do recall her saying is that she thought the food was better than she expected.

Food in the Classica MDR was a weak point, so maybe they upgraded the menu and quality.

12 hours ago, rikitikitavii said:

Food in the Classica MDR was a weak point, so maybe they upgraded the menu and quality.

I've never been on her.  If I were ever to go, I would keep my expectations never low, and I would consider it just an easy way to get over to the Bahamas from WPB.  Since there aren't a lot of other options from here other than I think one flight to Marsh Harbor out of PBI.  Or having a friend who owns a boat.

On 8/28/2022 at 8:59 PM, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

I'm sailing on board this coming Thursday.

I'll be sure to post a review.

Looking forward to it.

(I see the Saturday Labor Day weekend cruise is sold out.)

We'll be on the following week...

Looking forward to your thoughts

They submitted other videos after the one I posted that were more condensed. Honestly, I love the older ship vibe. They were so harsh about it. Young people who don't appreciate older ships. I am not in that category. They did say food was good which is all I really care about. Love the older ships and all the varied lounges that ships from this era provide.

They kept saying it was a cheap cruise and I disagree. They were basing it on the total price and not per night. It is very expensive if you divide the total of $560 they said they paid just for just two days. If this ship ever sails on longer cruises with a lower per day price, I would love to go on it. Too far to drive from Tampa here just to take a 2 night cruise. Too nice of a ship to just go on 2 night cruises all the time to crappy Freeport. I can ignore the astroturf and arcade machines in the observatory if longer sailings were offered.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 2

Reminds when SS Norway was sailing for NCL. She was around the 31 to 32 year old mark that the Margaritaville is now when we sailed Norway. You either loved or hated her, not so much between. I loved her! Hard to please the younger crowd these days... Option to have longer sailings and maybe moving this ship to Tampa occasionally where we are used to smaller and older ships could really help bookings and feedback. 

Edited by coaster

You can't turn a 31year old ship into something new to attract younger cruisers. Norway never tried to do that besides maybe a revamp to turn Checkers Cabaret into a Sports Illustrated sports bar. Margaritaville should be marketed for older cruisers who appreciate her style when ships were built like this in the early 90's.

Rename her just as Classica without having having to pay Jimmy a royalty. No need to have spent all the money to turn her into something else with a new theme as her age will still show underneath. Sail her on longer cruises like Premier and Regency did on older ships in addition to the 2 night cruises that this ship seems so focused on.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, coaster said:

Hard to please the younger crowd these days...

You hit it with this statement.

One of the other videos this guy posted, they kept going on, how boring it was, and nothing to do.

I was looking at a review on Celebrity Edge and the You-tuber was complaining that at four years old she was showing her age ?!?

i'm not sure what the younger crowd wants...They want to cruise but don't want to connect with the sea.

• Like 2

YouTube bloggers are very active now. Follow this couple often and have watched at least 50 or more hours of their cruise videos. Not overly dramatic like many. MDR food looks very good. They said the water tastes funny like the younger couple. They passed by a sweet treat venue and prepackaged vending machine type cookies that were $2.99. Never seen an upcharge for a cookie. A slice of cake was $4.99. Really?

The Buffet show looks like fun. Just the added charges would really turn me off for things that other lines never charge extra for. They like the old school style of the ship also. 

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, coaster said:

Follow this couple often and have watched at least 50 or more hours of their cruise videos

Yeah, I watched both of their videos on this ship and think they have the best review of Margaritaville at Sea so far, and I've watched alot.

What I like is how they give a fair assessment, not the "it's all about me" attitude of that younger couple.

Funny, they didn't seem bored at all!

We have been on this ship and the Grand Celebration a few times before Buffet so I know what to expect and nickel and diming is their modus operandi.

We'll see tomorrow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

But other than that, what exactly do they charge for that no one else does?

I never had a line item charge for "Fuel Surcharge".

Yes, I know all lines "reserve the right", but I have never actually had a charge.

Not sure about Margaritaville, but BPCL had a charge for the comedian's show.

Yes, it can be blamed on the port, but only valet parking?

Burgers and tacos at the 5 O'Clock Somewhere , come on, even Guys and Blue Iguana are free on Carnival.

• Like 1

Forgot about the fuel surcharge..... Another fee other lines don't charge and have never have paid in over 30 years of cruising. Valet parking is another thing which is annoying. Make a point to never stay at hotels with valet only. The need to tip on top of it and waiting extra time to retrieve your car is not worth it.