Do cellphones work onboard???

elainestress

This is our first cruise, so I don't know the protocol. The ship to shore calls are pretty expensive on board and I was wondering if our cell phones would work onboard. What about at the ports? I would imagine they would work there. We're leaving our 4 and 8 year olds with Gramma, so we're going to want to talk to them daily.

thanks for any info.

This is our first cruise, so I don't know the protocol. The ship to shore calls are pretty expensive on board and I was wondering if our cell phones would work onboard. What about at the ports? I would imagine they would work there. We're leaving our 4 and 8 year olds with Gramma, so we're going to want to talk to them daily.

thanks for any info.

Triumph is one of the first to have the Maritine Telecomm. Network, you can call while out to sea using your cellphone, only company not participating is Verizon. Click on this link:

http://www.cellularatsea.com/shipsinservice.htm

thanks for any info.

We sailed the Conquest to Western caribbean last year and there were"times" we could get a signal, usually had to be on top deck above Lido to get it to come in, prepare tho, very expensive!!

Yes they work wonderful! Well that is until you leave the port then I could not get any signal nor did the clock on it work because of the no signal thing One thing you want to check into with your cell phone provider is how much calls will cost per minute where you go to. Ie: we were in the Cayman Islands and in Mexico last month and we got wonderful service but talking to some others on the boat calls from those places on your cell may cost $10.00 a minute. You can possibly buy calling cards in the countires you go to alot cheaper.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease go and relax. :D Grandma brought you up ok didn't she? I am the mother of three and did leave mine behind with my MIL. Call before you leave port and then call when you return.

Obviously you trust the person or you wouldn't have asked them.

Enjoy. Have a foo foo drink!:) You deserveit mom!

I don't think it's wrong that she wants to check on her kids. I call at every port to check on my 2 dogs!!! And twice I've made $9 per minute calls from the ship just to make sure they're ok and that my daughter's boyfriend didn't have any questions. We paid him to stay at our house and babysit the dogs.

Now we can use the ship's internet to check on them on sea days and then call from each port.

I sure hope not!! I hate cell phone they a SOOOOOOOOOO anoying, some of those ring tone drive me crazy. We are there to get away from things like cell phones. Like te other poster said, there are other ways to keep in touch if one wishs too.

I don't think it's wrong that she wants to check on her kids. I call at every port to check on my 2 dogs!!! And twice I've made $9 per minute calls from the ship just to make sure they're ok and that my daughter's boyfriend didn't have any questions. We paid him to stay at our house and babysit the dogs.

Now we can use the ship's internet to check on them on sea days and then call from each port.

What will you do when you call or email and find out that one of your dogs ran off? Inquiring minds are curious.

Somethings are just better not knowing about. IMHO

jc

thanks for any info.

Don't pay any attention to the cell phone haters on here.

Bring your cell phone and you can use it in most ports on the Caribbean cruises. Never had it to work when out to sea. Depending on your provider there are great plans out there.

We're with Cingular and you can get the International plan at no cost and I believe $1.65 a minute plus some roaming charges depending on which port you're in. A lot cheaper than the ship phones.

And you don't have to explain to anyone on here your reasons to want to use your cell phone. Have a great cruise.

By all means use your cell phone when in port. It is likely not going to work at sea unless you are on the ships link and that is going to cost $$$$$.

In port, depending on plan it may be no more than any local call (I have Alltel and USVI and PR are same as domestic). It may not work on some islands and if it doesn't then wait until you get where it works.

As someone did mention, on board the ship if you are going to leave it on please set it to vibrate and not ring and be courteous of others desires to leave the world behind.

I'm curious about how much the cost is on a cell from Coz. One of my sisters was on an RCCL cruise last week. She called me 4-5 times - once before leaving port at Galveston, and the other times from Coz. (She doesn't worry about money like I do.):rolleyes:

What will you do when you call or email and find out that one of your dogs ran off? Inquiring minds are curious.

Somethings are just better not knowing about. IMHO

jc

As I mentioned, I want to make sure my DD's BF staying with the dogs didn't have questions (about the dogs, the house, etc.) One of our dogs was abused before we got him and sometimes he won't eat if we're gone or will lick himself obsessively. That's why being in his home environment sleeping in our bed and having his own house and yard is better than the stress of a kennel. I write up lots of instructions for 'if this happens, then...' but I can't think of everything in advance.

Well, there are two sides to that issue. First, whether it is a good thing for the kids to talk to you. Second, whether you would feel more comfortable if you checked in on them.

For the first goal, if you want them to have the comfort of interaction wiht you, one thing we did when leaving our little ones was to prepare a video in advance, with one segment for each day of the trip, doing one of their favorite songs or stories, and saying good night to them. They understood the one-segment-per-night concept, and never begged to watch ahead, but they did figure that they could replay the segments from previous nights, so towards the end of a long trip it was taking a while:) Our caregiver used the tape as a bedtime ritual, a motivation for them to get ready for bed.

The "checking in on them" thing varies from person to person and trip to trip. Our last time away, we checked in the first night, since we were still in range. And there were so many little problems, etc., that came up, it was hard to relax, so I am not sure I will do it next time.

We are going on the liberty 4/09 and are leaving our 3 year old with grandma needless to say I am going to want to call home. Can I get a prepaid phone card? Does the calls on the ship really cost 9 dollars a minute? That will really add up. Any suggestions will help. Thanks.:)

Yes, ships calls are about $9/minute.

Most prepaid phone cards sold in the US have very little minutes available if you use them to call the US from somewhere else. At most ports, there is a little phone business nearby where you can call the USA for a certain number of minutes for a set price (such as 10 minutes for $5, but it varies.) That's what I do. Be sure to tell Grandma which days and approximately what timeframe you'll be calling such as between 9 and noon; that gives you leeway to account for time zone differences and getting off the ship and finding a phone.

Also, there are usually internet cafes at great prices near each port.

Cingular charges 1.99/minute while in Coz, Cayman, and MoBay. Service is mainly available only in the populated areas. They do have an international package that is 5.99/month that will lower the cost to 1.69/minute. All calls made while on the ship at sea (provided you can get a signal) are billed at 2.49/minute - international discount package does not apply to calls made on ship. If your port of call happens to be Puerto Rico, your calls are considered local, provided you have one of the newer nationwide plans.

I used my cell from St. Thomas last year and there was no additional costs, not even roaming. I have Cingular service.:)

That might be because St Thomas is a US Territory and the US providers are there.

Archived