Comparison between two British Isles itineraries. Opinions, please!

Twinkletoe

My husband and I are trying to decide between two cruises. Both itineraries leave from Southampton and include Edinburgh, Invergordon, Belfast, and Dublin. The 11-night cruise (Sept. 3/24) also includes Stornoway, Amsterdam, Brussels, and Paris. The 10-night cruise (Sept. 14/24) does not include those ports, but includes Kirkwall, Liverpool, and Portland. They are very close in price despite one being one day longer than the other. 

Knowing so little about the ports, I am hoping for expert opinions about which cruise to choose. Hearing from experienced cruisers will help us in our decision.

Thank you in advance for any sharing that comes our way!

As a Beatles fan from the 1960’s , I would have to select the cruise with Liverpool as part of the itinerary. You may have a different interest. But, there is also a museum dedicated to the Titanic and the White Star Line in Liverpool if that history appeals to you.

As to Paris, British Isles cruises usually dock in Le Harve which is approximately three hours drive away from Paris. An excursion from the ship to Paris leaves little time to explore the city. However, the port is near the D day  beaches and the military cemeteries close by. There is a charming town of Honflueurs ( as I recall, spelling may not be correct) that would give you a taste of France closer to the ship.

I think the decision would be guided by your interest in visiting the various ports of the two itineraries.

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Twinkletoe said:

My husband and I are trying to decide between two cruises. Both itineraries leave from Southampton and include Edinburgh, Invergordon, Belfast, and Dublin. The 11-night cruise (Sept. 3/24) also includes Stornoway, Amsterdam, Brussels, and Paris. The 10-night cruise (Sept. 14/24) does not include those ports, but includes Kirkwall, Liverpool, and Portland. They are very close in price despite one being one day longer than the other. 

Knowing so little about the ports, I am hoping for expert opinions about which cruise to choose. Hearing from experienced cruisers will help us in our decision.

Tough decision, we have visited some of those ports and some we haven’t. 
There are some things you should investigate. Several of those ports are a considerable distance from the cities they are associated with and others are closer to the city, but the port access is controlled or the port is very industrial, so that arranging private excursions is a more complicated.

As far as I know Celebrity dropped all calls at Dublin, although who knows what will be happening by 2024. Brexit also played havoc with schedule’s because the EU played hardball with the cruiselines over immigration requirements. We were on the May 14 Apex British Isles cruise, and in our cruise we lost Dublin and Lerwick, Scotland, ended up overnighting in Liverpool and stopped in Cherbourg, France.

Having said all that, if those itineraries were published before May 2022, I would not get my heart set on any of those stops- who knows what they will have to change! We did visit Liverpool, Belfast and Portland and thoroughly enjoyed those 3 ports, although we did different things than most people in all 3, except maybe Belfast.

In my opinion Paris is too far away for a meaningful visit. If your “Edinburgh” stop is actually on the east coast of Scotland, that’s a super city. If the cruise is during the Tattoo- that’s a bucket list stop. Enjoy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twinkletoe said:

I recently returned from a cruise that stopped in LeHavre.  We took a private tour to Normandy with stops in Bayeux (for lunch) the to Honfleur.  Well worth it.  Others to a tour to Paris and had very little time there.

• Like 1

I would choose the 11 day if price is almost the same.  Amsterdam is a wonderful city where you could do a canal cruise and visit the Anne Frank museum which is amazing.  If you do choose this cruise make sure if you decide on the Anne Frank museum that you get your tickets early.  It often sells out.  Of course Paris is Paris with great food fashions and the Eiffel Tower etc.  What ship?  I can't seem to find either of these itineraries.

• Like 2

Thank you, cruisers, for your valuable input and please accept my apologies for asking about a NCL cruise here on the Celebrity boards. We have a cruise on Celebrity booked after the British Isles one and I wasn't careful when I posted.

I appreciate the opinions shared and I will have to do some of the suggested research.

@Twinkletoe I see from your latest post that you are considering a NCL British Isles cruise. I have sailed with NCL three times. I much prefer Princess. They offer lovely British Isles cruises with various ports on the itinerary based on the date of the particular sailing. 

My personal preference is Princess for that type of cruise. Have you considered a Princess Cruise.?

Just curious.

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

I don’t get the idea of a British island cruise . Industrial ports and cold wet weather 😂. Much rather go to the Caribbean 🤗

The staycation was the only option last summer!
We did one, just to get back on a cruise ship.

I was presently surprised, as we had never visited any of the Scottish ports.

We had visited Liverpool, as our granddaughter studied Medicine at the University  there.

We were fortunate that Scotland opened for tourism the day we started the cruise.

EB14E47C-D5F5-43F8-8ECD-5DC395423B75.thumb.jpeg.310da5f40b5782acdea5db9d6de04b9a.jpeg

D541F998-0B12-472F-97BA-D2839ADE67B6.thumb.jpeg.054c9d9b50d4f3255626ad1f64f0eb57.jpeg

930B9FAA-63BC-4A3C-B950-5DB8DDDF0ABB.thumb.jpeg.4f5a37e13a6ffd10b2a2d2f15cad23f5.jpeg

23365083-A7A1-43A9-93E4-A538905556CF.thumb.jpeg.45a75b79c7e487760aa8c65c1423f27c.jpeg

There wags plenty of history there which I knew nothing about.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MJSailors said:

@Twinkletoe I see from your latest post that you are considering a NCL British Isles cruise. I have sailed with NCL three times. I much prefer Princess. They offer lovely British Isles cruises with various ports on the itinerary based on the date of the particular sailing. 

My personal preference is Princess for that type of cruise. Have you considered a Princess Cruise.?

Just curious.

MJ🙋🏻

Princess and ncl appear to have the best itineraries for British isles next year.  We are looking at he regal even though it’s not our line of choice.  Celebrity itineraries don’t even come close unfortunately.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1