Sunrise Alarm Clocks

After a 10 year involuntary hiatus from cruising (I know!), I went on the Allure this past May and LOVED it.  It was the first time I had a balcony cabin and loved waking up with the sun.  I'm booked on a cruise on Harmony in October and to be cost effective I booked an interior cabin and now I'm worried I'll sleep through the cruise!  Has anyone brought a sunrise type alarm clock and how did you like it?  Any other suggestions?  Thanks! 

My Garmin Fenix wrist watch gives me the sunrise time for each day.  I can set its alarm based on that time so I awake before sunrise...works pretty slick, but it's probably not the cheapest solution...I wonder, do cruise ships offer wake-up calls?

Of course there are wake-up calls on ships, or you can use your phone alarm, or you can hang your door tag out at night and room service will call before they deliver your morning coffee.  (That's what we do.)

I believe the OP was not asking how to get a wake up call or how to know the time of sunrise, but was asking about a special kind of alarm clock that gradually lights up the room with light of graduated kelvin ratings (like sunrise.)  I have no experience with them, but just now I googled "sunrise alarm clock" and found this article comparing several of them.

https://www.wired.com/gallery/best-sunrise-alarm-clocks/

Edited by foxgoodrich
  • Thanks 1

Let me explain, I loved having the sunrise wake me up, gently brightening my cabin (no curtains closed for me!)  Sure, I can set an alarm to get up and get out, or have a wake up call but I'm asking about alarm clocks that mimic sunrise with increasing light over a period of time.  Those inside rooms are so dark at all times of day/night that you can never be sure what's going on in the outside world.

1 minute ago, mo&fran said:

I think OP wants to wake up and go outside and see the sun rise.  I think that the displays near  the elevators will show the sunrise time for the next day.  

Nope.  The OP wants the dark interior room to gradually become light, as if sunrise were happening outside a window with no curtain.  But of course, an interior room is always dark because there is no window.

That's what a "sunrise alarm clock" does.  It gradually lightens the room as if there were a real sunrise coming through a window.  The OP wants to know if anybody has experience using a "sunrise alarm clock" and if the experience was good or not.

• Thanks 1

I read once, if you have an inside cabin set your TV to the on deck camera.  At night it will be dark and in the morning, as the sun rises, the tv picture does as well, lighting up the room!  I have never had an inside to try it out yet tho.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rinkyd said:

I read once, if you have an inside cabin set your TV to the on deck camera.  At night it will be dark and in the morning, as the sun rises, the tv picture does as well, lighting up the room!  I have never had an inside to try it out yet tho.

We've done it, it works, it is what I was going to recommend.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, rinkyd said:

We sat at breakfast once, years ago, with some Pinnacles who said they pretty much lived on the ship,  they always sailed in inside cabins and that is exactly what they did!  HAHA, since I've been known to sleep past breakfast hours, I will not be trying this...ever! 😝

Sailing through the wilds of Alaska in May, with a gangway down at 6:30am for a 7:15 tour, when we were trying to decide when we should be getting up to get WJ breakfast......”sure, let’s leave the curtains open, sunrise is only a few minutes before we need to be awake” and we forgot that it is BRIGHT before actual sunrise......I think we woke up at 3:30 hahahahah

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rinkyd said:

My experience with that channel is that it rotates between the map of where the ship is and the deck camera, so it would shift back and forth between a well-lit screen and a dark one every few seconds.

2 hours ago, Kathscof said:

Sailing through the wilds of Alaska in May, with a gangway down at 6:30am for a 7:15 tour, when we were trying to decide when we should be getting up to get WJ breakfast......”sure, let’s leave the curtains open, sunrise is only a few minutes before we need to be awake” and we forgot that it is BRIGHT before actual sunrise......I think we woke up at 3:30 hahahahah

Too funny, but a good reminder about Alaska and "daylight" hours.

• Like 1