Take a Look at these two Alaska Excursions and tell me makes one more expensive

LAFFNVEGAS

I have been waiting for several week for HAL's Excursions to be updated with Whale Watch Excursions they told me after the first they would be available. Well finally today they were. I was hoping to do what I had seen just under Alaska cruises in general out of Juneau. "Best of Juneau! Whale Watching Quest, Mendenhall Glacier, & Alaska -Style Salmon Bake" We arrive in Juneu at 1:00 PM and leave at 10 PM they tell me because we do not arrive till one we cannot do that excursion. Please note the difference in cost.

Here are my two choices the first leaves at 2 PM

Mendenhall Glacier & Whale Questim_shorex_1walkblack.gifim_shorex_limitedcap.gif

PriceAdult $136; Child $84DurationApproximately 5 1/4 hours (3 hours on the boat; 1 hour at glacier visitor center) Descriptionim_shorex_23023.gif Visit http://www.hollandwildlifetours.com for more details.

Embark on a cruise that guarantees you'll see whales and other Alaskan wildlife! Board a water-jet-powered catamaran specifically designed for daytime or evening wildlife viewing. Relax in the warm, comfortable cabin, surrounded by large windows, as you ply the island-studded waters of Stephen's Passage. This area is world-renowned as a favored summer feeding ground for humpback whales. Once whales have been sighted, your skilled Captain will gently maneuver the vessel to allow exceptional viewing and photographic opportunities as graceful ocean giants slowly arc their massive tail flukes into the air. Be sure to bring a warm jacket to wear on the topside observation deck; the whales are often close enough to hear them breathe.

If conditions allow, an underwater hydrophone will be deployed so that you may even get to experience their incredible "singing". An on-board naturalist will explain the behavior and habitat of wildlife you may encounter, including humpback and killer whales, Steller sea lions, Dall's porpoise, harbor seals, bald eagles and Sitka blacktail deer. The operators of this tour guarantee you will see a whale. If not, you'll receive a US$100 cash refund ($50 refund per child) as you disembark. In the past nine years, whales have been sighted on every tour! Before or after the whale watching portion of this excursion, take a narrated motorcoach tour to view and photograph Alaska's most famous river of ice, the Mendenhall Glacier. At the newly-renovated Visitor Center, talk with Forest Service interpreters and, through interactive exhibits, learn about the landscape-carving force of glacial ice. Stroll the glacier-view path, then back aboard the motorcoach for the transfer to the ship.

NotesThis excursion is not recommended for guests using a wheelchair due to the number of stops requiring embarkation and disembarkation of transportation equipment. Bring a warm, rainproof jacket and your camera. Vessel is restroom equipped.

the second option leaves at 4:45 PM

Tour Description

Mendenhall Glacier & Evening Whale Questim_shorex_2walkblack.gifPriceAdult $159; Child $99DurationApproximately 4 3/4 hours DescriptionFirst, a narrated motorcoach tour takes you to view and photograph Alaska's most famous glacier, the Mendenhall. At the newly renovated Visitor Center you'll have the opportunity to visit with Forest Service interpreters, and - through interactive exhibits - appreciate the landscape-carving force of glacial ice. Back aboard the motorcoach you'll take a scenic drive to Auke Bay, where you'll board a water-jet-powered catamaran specifically designed for wildlife viewing. Relax in the warm, comfortable cabin, as you ply the island-studded waters of Stephen's Passage.

As whales are sighted, your skilled Captain will gently maneuver the vessel to allow exceptional viewing opportunities. You'll be amazed by the gracefulness of these ocean giants as they slowly arc their massive tail flukes into the air. Bring a warm jacket to wear on the observation deck; the whales are often close enough to hear them breathe. And if conditions allow, an underwater hydrophone will be deployed so that you may even get to experience their incredible "singing". This tour guarantees you will see a whale. If not, you'll receive a $100 cash refund ($50 for children). In the past ten years, whales have been sighted on every tour! Throughout the cruise your onboard naturalist will explain the behavior and habitat of the humpback whale and other species of wildlife you might encounter. While enjoying the peaceful ambiance of Alaska's long evening-glow you'll be treated to a delicious variety of appetizers, desserts and complimentary beverages. Soda, beer and wine service are available for an additional charge.

NotesThis excursion is not recommended for guests confined to a wheelchair due to the number of stops requiring embarkation and disembarkation of transportation equipment. Vessel is restroom-equipped.

Now I wanted to also do the Samon Bake and the times for the Salmon bake are 5:15 PM, 6:00 PM and 7:00 PM they tell me there there so not enought time to do the 3 items together:confused: I do think that this will be the night they do the Salmon Bake on the ship (Ryndam) so I will probably just save the money and eat Salmon the the ship :D

Of the two above can you guess which one I booked:D

When is it during spawning time?

That State Capitol is Wonderful. Still wish they built the bridge to the mainland and connected the Yukon Territory as well....:eek: :D

Doing this on your own may be of better benefit a swell spending more time where you want to be.

Look online at the Juneau Chamber of Commerce and Visitor site...

The glacier is wonderful and your able to get a hands on feet on experience even walking down from the Church there.

Why are you so late in booking your shore excursions?

We booked ours the end of December for our June cruises.

Difference in price?? Could it be that the tour operators what more money to work after a certain time - thus the higher cost of the tour?

We have done several Alaskan cruises on HAL including the Ryndam and never had a salmon bake at night - just a lunch time. But things may have changed.

Why are you so late in booking your shore excursions?

Today was the first day they had the Whale Excursions available. I have been watching and calling HAL Excursions weekly for at least 6 weeks.

You might be right about the Salmon Bake being druing the day just not sure what day it could be. I really wanted to do the the combination that looks like it would be really close to being possible but not:(

For our Statendam cruises we booked the Mendenhall Glacier, whale watch and salmon bake in Dec. I even mentioned here that we had it booked.

Wonder why it just came available for your cruise??

That is puzzeling.

Probably because we are going May 7th and we are only the 2nd cruise ship to come into Juneau for the season. When I first called HAL the beginning of the year they said they were still working on getting the first week set up due to the operators schedules. Not sure what that meant but I took it that possibly they were not committing yet for the first week. The company they use do guarantee a whale sighting. I really don't know the answer but can tell you that it was not till today that Whale Excursions were available.

According to the tour operator's website the afternoon tour includes "snacks; coffee, tea, cocoa" while the evening tour provides "appetizers & desserts; hot & cold beverages."

How much is an appetizer worth to you? :)

:eek: $23.00 per person for appetizers and desserts:eek: Well, as you know I purchased the earlier one that is longer and a bit brighter out to see the whales and will have my dessert on the ship;)

I just thought it was really strange the difference in price. I also thought it was strange that they claim they cannot do the Salmon Bake with it. Oh Well, I guess I will have to go back another year for the Juneau Salmon Bake. Two years ago we did the Whale Quest and absolutely loved it which is why I really wanted to return but we did not get to Mendehall or the Salmon Bake last time. We were traveling with friends that did and raved about it. Then In December I saw under excrusion offered in Juneau (not with our booking number) that they offered an excursion that did all three. I was so excited and definitely wanted to do that but not till they had their Whale Excursions operators in place.

Lisa, Alaska shore excursions have always boggled me - they seem to, for the most part, be very expensive - so much so that I only did one last year, to see the Tracy Arm glaciers up close.

I think the earlier one was a good choice :)

Lisa-

I think they want more for the evening ambiance;) . I know they also provide appetizers etc. I really think Auke Bay could be lovely that time of night in good weather. It may be that the whales are more active in the twillight hours, but I couldn't swear to it. Hope you enjoy whatever you chose to do!:D

I just thought it was really strange the difference in price. I also thought it was strange that they claim they cannot do the Salmon Bake with it. Oh Well, I guess I will have to go back another year for the Juneau Salmon Bake.

We did the Mendenhall-Whale Watch- Salmon Bake last Sept. when we were in Juneau. The salmon bake was good, although I think the food is better on the Taku Lodge trip. And the sightseeing at Taku (and getting there in a float plane) is fantastic. We've done that one twice (see pics here and here)!

dakrewser, thanks for the pics. We are doing the Taku Lodge float plane in May. I'm glad to see that the river is nice and wide and that the current is not too swift...no rapids!

It's smooth as glass. Make sure you're in the front of the line to get on the plane so that when the pilot asks who wants to co-pilot you can jump right in - the view is fantastic!

The evening whale watchings are shorter in duration by usually 30 minutes. The vender is always Allen Marine with large ship booked groups. There is no comparism to any salmon on your ship and the salmon bakes, but the clear winner is Thane Ore House in my opinion. They will pick up and shuttle from the dock. Same with Gold Creek Salmon Bake, continous loop bus from the dock.

I have an update The Supervisor over HAL Alaska Excursions called me and she made some phone calls. She was extremely confident that once we get on board they can arrange to drop us off at the Salmon Bake. They have had a few other requests and have in the past been able to accommodate passenger and drop them off at the 7 PM Salmon Bake. It seems they do allow for time between but cannot over lap the bookings. She also said that because there are not many ships in port for our week the Salmon Bake will not be packed so there will be no problem for that being over booked. I am feeling better now about getting to do what I originally wanted to do in Juneau.

Lisa,

Glad to see that you are going to do the Salmon Bake after all. DW and I have booked the "Best of Juneau Whale Watching Quest, Mendenhall Glacier & Alaska-Style Salmon Bake" excursion on our May 27th cruise on the Oosterdam. We will be in Juneau a little longer than you are scheduled for (11:00am til 9:00pm) but not that much longer. I guess those couple of hours must really make a difference to HAL in booking this excursion. We can't wait to see Alaska. This will be our first time.

Richard & Judie

Maybe the difference is not just appetizers, but "a delicious variety of appetizers, desserts and complimentary beverages." Or maybe it's the same reason it costs more here in the Wild West to go on a Sunset horseback trail ride than a regular ride on the same trail.

Another salmon bake option: These events are not limited to Alaska. While you are in Seattle for one of your upcoming cruises, step down the waterfront to the dock for the ferry to Blake Island, where a salmon bake with authentic Northwest Coast Indian dancing is offered for $69 per person. See http://www.tillicumvillage.com/

Glad you will get what you wanted, Laffinvegas. We did the Mendenhall/whalewatching two years ago. The whale watching was great and the boat followed several whales, both orcas and humpbacks as well as seeing seals, sealions and eagles. Mendenhall, however, was a huge disappoinment. The view is poor and the place was really crowded. We are probably spoiled by being close to the Columbia Icefields in the Canadian Rockies, but we were disappointed. You may recal Crocodile Dundee's reaction to the thug with the knife, as he pulled out his blade, saying, "Call that a knife?" My wife's reaction was similar, "Call that a glacier?"!! We realize that there is much more to Mendenhall, but the observation angle is really poor and the crowds when we were there, overwhelming.

Archived