Oosterdam Balcony Flag

borregohiker

HAL Restrictions on Balcony Flags

This is just too much fun, something Teddy (my bride of 20+ years) and I doing for the first time, cruising,. We embark on Saturday in San Diego on the Oosterdam for sunny Mexico. Seven sunny siestas. And, I had a thought, Does HAL have restrictions on hanging a family flag, say a 3’x5’ pendant, from the balcony? I have a family flag of Wales, the MORGAN clan from Glamorgan (Llandaff). My family cruised early, from Bristol in 1636 on the good ship John and Mary. Would a red heraldic dragon on a white field even show up on the webcam? We have familia standing by in various locales to live-cam our departure. Our cabin is on the verandah deck (5) portside. What do you think?

Doc (and Teddy) Morgan

Flying your colors, well there you spell funny.. (colours).. is important and a good visual point to mark your room(S) with..

Oh no your Welching on us now *S*

Did your family ever go on our Ships? (Campbells of Loudon, yes thats where Loch Ness is..) General in charge of the All the Kings North American Forces prior to the American Revolutionary (Civil ) War of 1776... his Brother Dr. Campbell was on the American side:D we won too*S*

Flanders from and in 621 and 1621 both AD. too before the French did the deed... and One Thousand Years apart...:eek:

I can't see any reason why not!.

I would only fly it in port though as it may become a victim to the elements.There is a very upmarket ship that calls here every year on its World Cruise whose Captain is from Sweden,and while in port he flys the Swedish flag on a pole from his cabin.

Did your family ever go on our Ships? (Campbells of Loudon, yes thats where Loch Ness is..) General in charge of the All the Kings North American Forces prior to the American Revolutionary (Civil ) War of 1776... his Brother Dr. Campbell was on the American side

Ah, but there was little civility in the Revolutionary War, except the outcome. It was the skunk's spinoon that witnessed the residual of the king's ale then, unlike now.

Hi Doc and Teddy Love to see photos posted when you return! My maiden name was Morgan could be related!!!!!!!!!!! There are lots of us in England. Enjoy your cruise:D

Julie:cool:

Julie, I have to believe that the Morgans of England have made the commonwealth a much greater place. Have you done the Morgan genealogy for your line in the family? We may have common ancestors...it is a small world, especially a cruising one.

Lots of digital photos of the trip which we will post, sidestepping the censors (sic).

Doc

There is a place a few hours from me called Borrego Springs. Do you live in Borrego Springs, or thereabouts, or do you just like to hike in Borrego???

A neighbor of ours, I see. We live in Alpine and have camped and hiked in the Borrego area for many years. Most of our friends, both renowned and scalawags, are desert rats. This cruise is a first for us, maybe the first of many. The desert southwest, howver, will always be our first love.

Doc

KiwiKruzer, how long have you been in Auckland? 35 years? Remember a ship called the Monte Cristo? From Vancouver. An exact replica of the Golden Hind. Back then I had a chance to crew on her from San Diego to Hawaii and Fiji, then on to Auckland on an expedition for National Geographic. I passed, as a foolish young man is wont to do from time to time, and drew no satisfaction from hearing that she sunk five miles out from Auckland, no hands lost.

Indeed a small world, Doc

Hi Doc and Teddy, just started my family tree about six months ago and doing the whole thing so I am only up to my grandfather, he had quite a few wives on the go at once(we found out after he died):eek: so its taken forever to gather the info, a little scandel always makes it more interesting. I will try and find out what line we are from for when you return. Have a great time on The Oosterdam and fly the flag high, I am off on The Westerdam 03/26

HAL Restrictions on Balcony Flags

Would a red heraldic dragon on a white field even show up on the webcam? We have familia standing by in various locales to live-cam our departure. Our cabin is on the verandah deck (5) portside. What do you think?[/color][/color][/size][/font]

Doc (and Teddy) Morgan

Unless you're talking about a different webcam than the one I've been looking at, or unless the Captain backs the "O" into the dock, then the cabins shown are on the starboard side, not port. By the time the ship pulls out and turns around, I don't think they'll be able to spot the flag.

Why not take it upfront for the wave, prior to sailaway (if you can still do that). If Mr. Deering is on board, he might be able to clear the way for you.

As for hanging it over the side, while in port, absolutely. On our recent cruise, we had party lights strung on our balcony railing.

Bon Voyage!

Unless you're talking about a different webcam than the one I've been looking at, or unless the Captain backs the "O" into the dock, then the cabins shown are on the starboard side, not port. By the time the ship pulls out and turns around, I don't think they'll be able to spot the flag.

I think I stand corrected on this. Our cabin is an even number so that probably is the starboard side. I certainly hope it is because this is our first cruise and I really don't want to ask the captain to back the ship in. Think he would do that just for a photo-op? :o

Doc

• 1 month later...

I'm just wondering from a practical standpoint, how you hang the flag or the party lights or other items (ideas please!) to your balcony. I'll have to include whatever I need to my packing list.

Also, what all have you seasoned cruisers seen on cabin doors and balconys in the way of personalized decoration? We leave on the O'dam this July for our very first cruise and would appreciate some tasteful ideas, (I won't be hangin' out the wash!) :D

Archived