Air fares

Cruisedreamer1

First off, there is a Cruise Air forum here at CC.

Next, look at ITA Matrix for a comprehensive reference source.  Especially using the time bars option.

https://matrix.itasoftware.com

You should have little trouble getting air from LAX to just about anywhere in the world.

Finally, letting us know where and when you want to travel is always better than just a general "what do I do" post.

• Like 1

Windstar certainly provides airfare packages.  But there is no need to purchase cruise air.  It's extremely easy to book airfare to the Caribbean yourself.  Start with the search engine provided in the above post and then please book only directly from the airline.  Save yourself some headaches and skip third party bookings.

Edited by 6rugrats
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

Save yourself some headaches and skip third party bookings.

Wise words.

The quest for "cheap tickets" often leads to great disappointment when you run into difficulties in your travels.  Buying published fare tickets direct from the airline is the way to go unless you really know your way around air travel.  Which the OP has indicated is missing here.

• Like 2

Just finished booking air to SJU for our December 2022 WS cruise.  What a nightmare!  Flight choices are few, and fares are outrageous.  I deliberately chose a RT San Juan cruise because pre-pandemic it was easy and inexpensive to get non-stops (relative to other Caribbean ports).  Not these days.

I started trying to book air months ago, but it was so bad (and expensive) I though perhaps things would improve after Labor Day.  Wrong.  But at least the airline websites work and people answer their phones now.

Planes are full.  With travel up, expect higher prices. It’s just a case of supply and demand.  We were supposed to cruise Jan. 2022 Rt Miami.  Bought air 8 months before cruise at a low price.  When omicron hit hard, we canceled. Got fcc and air credit.  We rebooked for next winter.  Air was double what it was.  Bought it anyway.  Since then, it has increased.  It’s now triple the original fare.  Add to that airline cancel routes, delay service, add extra fees for seats, etc.  inflation is hitting all sections of the economy.  

• 2 weeks later...

There are no bargain airfares to just about anywhere, especially if you have to book in conjunction with a cruise and your travel days are limited. Our fully-refundable flights to Toronto for late August went up to almost 3 times what we paid in March. After our plans became firm,  I thought I'd switch to non-refundable ones if if they became cheaper than the refundable ones, which usually is the case. Not this time! They ended up being over $200/pp more than the fully refundable ones. 

We are doing WS from Panama to Aruba in February. Fortunately I had enough FF miles to get us flights to Panama and from Aruba (where we are staying for an additional 5 days) at "Saver Mile" rates. That always helps the budget!

Definitely stay way from third-party OTA's. Jump over to the Air Travel forum on TripAdvisor and see the tens of thousands of complaints from people who have tried to chase the "cheap flights fairy". 

I still find lower prices in economy but business class fares have gone through the roof. Some lines (Regent, Silversea) offer business class reasonably. If Windstar did, I'd jump on a French Polynesia cruise tomorrow!

Found great fares for my going into Boston and out of San Juan cruise later next month.