Is Azamara returning back to using Venice instead of Ravenna in 2023? Wish that would be true.

Gnoelj

We had wanted to book some cruises on Azamara from Venice in 2022, but when we found that  all their cruises which were originally starting from, or ending in,  Venice have been moved to Ravenna, we had decided not to book any.

However, on their website,  I just noticed that Azamara is offering a "7 night Croatia Intensive Voyage"  ( https://www.azamara.co.uk/voyage/jr07m558/7-night-croatia-intensive-voyage ) in April 2023. And this time, it indicates the cruise is starting and ending in Venice. 

Does anyone know if Azamara is moving its services back from Ravenna to Venice next year? If so, that would be good news.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

They don't have a ship small enough.

They could if they wanted to:  Silver Galapagos, which was originally Renaissance III [the first generation of Renaissance ships, built in 1990] is laid up in Panama and apparently on the market.  At only 4,077 tons she could dock in San Basilio.  But only about 100 lucky passengers would get to share the experience...

I am due to be sailing from Venice in April 2023. My TA contacted Azamara re the flights as everyone is now of the opinion that there will be no sailings from Venice but Azamara still insist on booking flights to Venice and state they will arrange transport to the ship

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Norn Iron Man said:

I am due to be sailing from Venice in April 2023. My TA contacted Azamara re the flights as everyone is now of the opinion that there will be no sailings from Venice but Azamara still insist on booking flights to Venice and state they will arrange transport to the ship

I think they are keeping their flexibility, because there are different airports that are closest to Ravenna vs. Trieste but Venice airport is always somewhere in the area and Venice is where people will want Azamara to offer pre-/post-cruise extensions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Look at from the viewpoint of the people who actually live in Venice.  I have been to Venice on an extended visit land trip and it is awful to watch those huge cruise ships going down the middle of the canals.  They do not belong there.  If you are going to have the crowds coming into Venice off the cruise ships what they are doing now is a reasonable compromise.  The big ships just don't have to take over the city.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 3

There's a lot to be learned, as we found, in Bologna.  That leaves only a short native railroad trip to the cute station in Ravanna, home of some of the most fantastic tiles.  Azamara meets you there with a bus to pierside.  We enjoyed it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Look at from the viewpoint of the people who actually live in Venice.  I have been to Venice on an extended visit land trip and it is awful to watch those huge cruise ships going down the middle of the canals.  They do not belong there.  If you are going to have the crowds coming into Venice off the cruise ships what they are doing now is a reasonable compromise.  The big ships just don't have to take over the city.

DON

Just to be accurate:  they don't go down "the middle of the canals."  They go through ONE canal, which by the way is much larger than any of the others (including the so-called 'Grand Canal').  The problem you are describing is real, but there is no need to over-dramatize it.  And the entire 'canal' issue could be fixed by dredging a new channel from the southern entrance direct to Marittima [or even around the outside of Guidecca island], but the environmentalists won't settle for any compromise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Just to be accurate:  they don't go down "the middle of the canals."  They go through ONE canal, which by the way is much larger than any of the others (including the so-called 'Grand Canal').  The problem you are describing is real, but there is no need to over-dramatize it.  And the entire 'canal' issue could be fixed by dredging a new channel from the southern entrance direct to Marittima [or even around the outside of Guidecca island], but the environmentalists won't settle for any compromise.

I was not aware of the dredging option or what the possible environmental problems might be.  I was just commenting of the ships going into Venice right through the tourist areas.  I have been in Venice when this occurred and they are just disruptive.

DON

On 9/9/2022 at 3:28 PM, Aardvaark said:

There's a lot to be learned, as we found, in Bologna.  That leaves only a short native railroad trip to the cute station in Ravanna, home of some of the most fantastic tiles.  Azamara meets you there with a bus to pierside.  We enjoyed it.

We are taking the train from Bologna to Ravenna and staying overnight there. How do we arrange the Azamara bus the following day?  We are to be there around 2:30. 

2 hours ago, Carol01 said:

We are taking the train from Bologna to Ravenna and staying overnight there. How do we arrange the Azamara bus the following day?  We are to be there around 2:30. 

We were met at the entrance to the Ravenna train station (it's on a traffic circle) by a person holding an Azamara sign.  We checked in with him then stepped into a small stand for a coke.  After a few minutes (30 minutes between trips) the bus came along and took us to the pierside checkin place.

IMG_2364.jpeg

IMG_2365.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2022 at 11:02 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

And the entire 'canal' issue could be fixed by dredging a new channel from the southern entrance direct to Marittima [or even around the outside of Guidecca island], but the environmentalists won't settle for any compromise.

I think they will do this. Im surprised that so much people dont miss venice an take cruises from Ravenna, Trieste, Monfalcone and even Chioggia which is in the laguna. And i think they will miss the money from the cruisers. I had 2 cruises form venice and on both we stayed in venice in an hotel. So i think this new canal will be built, its only a few km. 

Cargoships with dangerous goods are going through laguna to mestre. So why should they exclude cruise ships?

On 9/4/2022 at 7:56 AM, wjfan417 said:

I just booked a cruise for next October while onboard, and was told that they are working on getting approval for Venice.

When you say next October, are you referring to 2023? We have booked the October 7th 2023 on the Pursuit.  We were hoping that by next year the smaller ships would be allowed but no guarantees 🙂

If you are on our sailing I'd love to hear your thoughts. We will have boarded in Barcelona Sept. 25th and stay for the b2b.

15 hours ago, Megotoo said:

When you say next October, are you referring to 2023? We have booked the October 7th 2023 on the Pursuit.  We were hoping that by next year the smaller ships would be allowed but no guarantees 🙂

If you are on our sailing I'd love to hear your thoughts. We will have boarded in Barcelona Sept. 25th and stay for the b2b.

Yes, we’re on the 10/7/23 cruise as well as the Greek Intensive following that.

Diana