LIVE! Koningsdam 7-Day Alaskan Inside Passage

*Miss G*

3 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam in August and not allowed to exchange the “champagne” for wine.  The NL hostess, Angela, said it is no longer permitted by HAL but we could exchange it for sodas or another bottle of water.  We just left the bottle in the room.  As far as I’m concerned the Champagne in the Neptune Suites is a cutback I would welcome.  Forget the champagne but give me my chocolates at the end of the day!

Wow, how generous, a bottle of water 😛.

Portions of all 3 ships:  the Crown Princess, the Koningsdam, and the Celebrity Solstice.  My husband says I have my own cruise line but I don’t like to sail it.  (He calls me Princess, both lovingly and jokingly, depending on the situation lol.)

B459F863-F8A3-4346-8286-FE22345B85F8.thumb.jpeg.777e4c0dba21b8dc81208c2f193042cf.jpeg

This will be my last pic for the day as I am using my phone as a hotspot and I’m only getting 3G.  So you can imagine how excruciatingly slow these uploads are.  IF they upload, of course.  I’m getting a lot of fails.

2A05AA34-5CA7-4158-AA4E-689A844B3BDF.thumb.jpeg.fb650dd24ee0ff30d114dbc35d4026d5.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

So I was just in the lounge and asked about trading in the “champagne”.  The attendant told me we could trade it in for any of their brand name “Domera” wines (I think that’s the brand mentioned.)  He said they have Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Merlot, and Cab.  Or we could have something non-alcoholic.  He was about to set one aside for us until I told him we’d already poured it down the drain.  lol

I did write the new  no-trade policy up as a complaint on my review.  It’s really hard to know what to expect onboard ship anymore.  It never hurts to ask but it’s really disappointing when they say “no”.  I’m not used to that.  Also, I mentioned the lack of fruit in the staterooms.  I was told it had been determined by management to be too wasteful and that I could ask for fruit to be delivered at a certain time each day.  That was on the fifth day of a 7 day cruise.  So, we had grapes delivered on day 6 at 10 a.m.  At least it was something healthy to put in the cooler for snacking.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

I did write the new  no-trade policy up as a complaint on my review.  It’s really hard to know what to expect onboard ship anymore.  It never hurts to ask but it’s really disappointing when they say “no”.  I’m not used to that.  Also, I mentioned the lack of fruit in the staterooms.  I was told it had been determined by management to be too wasteful and that I could ask for fruit to be delivered at a certain time each day.  That was on the fifth day of a 7 day cruise.  So, we had grapes delivered on day 6 at 10 a.m.  At least it was something healthy to put in the cooler for snacking.

Glad you wrote it up, maybe that helped?    Mr Bear doesn’t drink & I’ve never liked the “champagne” they put in our suite.  It was a few years before I knew I could trade it for wine.  I enjoy a glass on my balcony.  

I do remember on our last cruise before the pandemic we were asked if we wanted our fruit basket replenished and if so to let them know.  Normally we didn’t bother as we’d grab something from the Neptune lounge while I was grabbing my latte.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

We asked our stateroom attendant, upon boarding, about the fruit basket.  He said they didn’t do it anymore but to let the Concierge know what we wanted and they would make the arrangements.  We’ve discovered that they have some really nice fruit available, all day, in the lounge so we just grab what we want and bring it back to the room.  Apples, peaches, bananas, kiwi, and nectarines come whole.  They also have sliced mango (very nice), fresh berries, and grapes.  They need to section the grapes, though, because you have to somehow wrestle them off the vine and it’s a fight not worth winning with only a pair of tiny tongs at hand.  It’s rather like eating jello with a toothpick.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

That’s always the “convenient” excuse.  Since you had to specifically ask for it at least in balcony rooms it hard to believe people ask for it to just sit there.  I took some apples from the lido and my cabana and didn’t waste any of them.

5 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

We asked our stateroom attendant, upon boarding, about the fruit basket.  He said they didn’t do it anymore but to let the Concierge know what we wanted and they would make the arrangements.  We’ve discovered that they have some really nice fruit available, all day, in the lounge so we just grab what we want and bring it back to the room.  Apples, peaches, bananas, kiwi, and nectarines come whole.  They also have sliced mango (very nice), fresh berries, and grapes.  They need to section the grapes, though, because you have to somehow wrestle them off the vine and it’s a fight not worth winning with only a pair of tiny tongs at hand.  It’s rather like eating jello with a toothpick.

Ewwww, fancy.  I’d love a nectarine or kiwi.  I’ve asked in the cabana, no dice.  Maybe I should knock on the Neptune lounge door 😛.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

I was told it had been determined by management to be too wasteful

I found out the hard way that they abscond with your fruit during turndown service on the last day.  The same fruit I was saving for after dinner and breakfast.  If they’d given me a heads up that they were taking it there wouldn’t have been any waste.  😠

10 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I found out the hard way that they abscond with your fruit during turndown service on the last day.  The same fruit I was saving for after dinner and breakfast.  If they’d given me a heads up that they were taking it there wouldn’t have been any waste.  😠

I’ve taken to hiding mine because I eat an apple in the morning.  I caught on to it after a while.  I don’t hide the basket, just the fruit.  I also hide my bags that I pack my shoes in because they like to chuck those out.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

Sheesh.  I lost cellular access right after leaving Skagway so I could no longer do any updates.  Anyway… to continue…

If you want the worst popcorn you’ve ever had in your life, spend $11 and buy it in Skagway from The Really Bad Popcorn Factory.  (Not its real name.)  Seriously.  Really bad popcorn.  Really bad.  Do yourself a favour:  Buy some styrofoam and eat that.  At least it can double as packing material when you discover how bad it tastes.  It’s probably cheaper too.

I mailed my Mum’s birthday card from Skagway.  I have been carrying it with me, from Virginia, thinking I could mail it when I hit Seattle.  Wrong.  At every port we have been to I have looked for a post office and this is the first place I have found one.  Mum’s birthday is on Sunday but I doubt she will get it on time.  But I’ve been wrong before, so who knows!

We stopped by the Rolling Stone Rock Room where they were playing fantastic music.  The band could have used some artistic ability and personality but the song choices were outstanding.  We next hit BB King’s and struck gold.  WOW!  These artists are PHENOMENAL.  We loved loved loved the lead guitar player and the male and female vocalists.  We stayed until they kicked us out.

Do you know Bob from Schitt’s Creek?  Well, he was up dancing, as was Elaine from Seinfeld.  In fact, the whole dance floor was packed for each and every song.  What a great night.  We had so much fun!

My pillow called someone last night.  There is a phone on the bedside table which is much too close to the bed.  I keep moving it away but the room steward keeps moving it back.  It might be more aesthetically-pleasing but it’s less functional.  Anyway, apparently I forgot to move the phone away from the bed after we got in from BB King’s.   Around 1:30am I woke up to the receiver falling off the hook and the pillow hitting “Redial”.  I hope they have forgiven me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

DAY 5

GLACIER BAY

WOW.  What an amazing day cruising Glacier Bay!  The Captain has decided to spend the majority of our time at Johns Hopkins Glacier as it is the first time in years they have been able to get this close and on such a sunny and picture perfect day.

The Park Rangers boarded from their vessel, the Serac, as we entered the bay.  Ranger Ted provided excellent commentary throughout the day.  I can’t recall if his name really was Ted but that’s what stuck in my head.  

The Serac is 45.9 feet (14 metres) in length.  You can see it in the centre-left of this pic.  See what I mean about scale?  It looks so tiny!

5FD5186D-4031-42B6-9901-CA9972C315DB.thumb.jpeg.6b2ef0a1c2d29693c5b9f07bf363b884.jpeg

I was on Sasquatch Watch throughout the day but failed to see any.  We did see lots of Sea Otters, Goats, Seals, and Whales, though!  In the morning a whale appeared during breakfast.  And then, during dinner, there was a pod of them bubbling!  Due to the great table we have in Club Orange we could see them without even leaving our seats.

We heard White Thunder!  That is when the glacier moves and cracks and chunks break off.  It sounds like a really loud thunderstorm.

Apparently people who have been brought up by wolves have learned how to cruise.  The Park Ranger tells us how Glacier Bay  is a sacred place.  Wolf-bred passengers are shouting and swearing as we silently glide through the bay.  I cringe at their lack of respect as their voices intrude upon the majesty.  How can they not realize what a privilege it is to be here?  Okay, /rant.

Here is the Johns Hopkins Glacier.  The last two pics show ice along the side of the mountain running into an icy “river” joining the glacier.  Last pic is a closeup of that ice river.  It is absolutely breathtakingly beautiful.

A9D8A18B-E515-4158-87F5-AE19C1CF10ED.thumb.jpeg.af92377f238ac97a062d5b5d4edd82f0.jpeg

B379911C-CB4F-486A-A377-A860ED633A38.thumb.jpeg.879a29611e59912b28be196c3734ab82.jpeg

B5437A40-3338-45F9-82C1-2188E5B24E5F.thumb.jpeg.21e9697e51639d2ada0431a143f7b331.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Here is a video of a seal pup on an ice flow.  Mom just dove into the water but I didn’t hit record in time.  You can see her nose pop up towards the top of the picture.

The next two videos show us leaving the Johns Hopkins Glacier.  I had to add the 2nd video so you could see the change in colour of the water and how gorgeous it is.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, deck chair said:

HI!

Wonderful travelogue.  Thank you for taking the time to post your experiences.  I am wondering if you are missing a true promenade deck on this ship. 

Deck Chair.

Thank you, @deck chair!  There is a full promenade on Deck 3.  If you are asking if it is like the prom on the older ships with the lounge chairs, it is not.  But it runs the circumference of the ship so you don’t have to go inside at any point to do a lap.  3 laps = 1 mile.

• Like 1

DAY 6 - KETCHIKAN, ALASKA

Thursday, September 8th

Rest In Peace, Your Majesty The Queen

The BBC World News is on, as it is every morning, as I get my coffee from the lounge this morning.  The commentary is grave.  By the time we reach port we learn the Queen has passed.  Her Majesty was a truly remarkable, dedicated, and hard-working servant.  May she Rest In Peace.

Today we are in Ketchikan.  They have an airport and a ferry to get you across the water to town.

6C5F1389-03B0-4622-9AFA-98E6954BAACE.thumb.jpeg.804ab3a14fd5e20a177426dce8b661fc.jpeg

We join the Eurodam and the Seabourn Odyssey in port at 11:00am.  By noon, the Eurodam is pulling away from the dock and the Odyssey follows a few hours later.  I have to say that the starboard side of this ship has been a great pick for us.  The sun and scenery has been amazing.  I should have brought sunscreen!

9FFEC196-E503-4DBD-84E1-9135FBBD1DE8.thumb.jpeg.65c905cbc4292bc0d05f993b05d935c0.jpeg

74B2DF81-F8B6-481F-BD64-0295D750240C.thumb.jpeg.904501da2d2b0ba3825ee4e1e3eecef5.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Brutal on the popcorn.  I can’t eat it so I won’t be buying it.  Beautiful pictures and video.  Have your meals been better at club orange?

Oh my gosh.  I was going to comment on this in the summary but I will respond now.

THE FOOD WAS HORRENDOUS!!!

I have always said how much I love Club Orange.  Well, there is nothing like a touch of reality to temper glowing reports.  When they weren’t trying to kill me, they were trying to make me ill.  Of the 7 nights we ate there, only two of the meals were edible:  the Arctic Char, which was excellent, and the American Pot Roast, which was good.  Besides the two cracked pepper nights, I had one night of raw salmon, without the benefit of it being sashimi, one night of raw steak, and one night of raw prime rib.  This morning my eggs were actually cooked properly and so were the hash browns!  My husband commented that it’s almost like we got a new chef.  We felt bad for the staff because they were the ones who had to deal with everyone sending back their meals.  The chef definitely needs to go back to school or the galley until they bring their skills up to speed.  We both commented that it was the worst food we have ever had on a cruise.  And I am very sad to report that.

• Like 2

For $20, at the Ketchikan Fish House, you can get a 3-piece salmon, halibut, and cod Alaska Sampler.  Let me say this about that.  I am now 0-for-5 on the fish and chips scene.  All the way up the US West Coast I have ordered fish and chips and have been disappointed every time.  

F7BAD8B0-2466-457F-95D1-9EAE70462337.thumb.jpeg.41d82a5e142699f1d421e1647d04db34.jpeg

I have taken another one for the team on this one.  Don’t let the picture fool you.  It isn’t as good as it looks.  They have coated the flash-frozen chips with something which tastes like Nacho Doritos.  The two-bite portions of fish are good but we bought it to share.  I didn’t eat the chips.  Or the coleslaw.  I had a bite off each of the finger-size fish sticks.  Take THAT, $20.  In your face.

7112CDA5-B767-4AF2-9450-7388DEA1CFFC.thumb.jpeg.749ccbcdfe56e1b57f6164299c5f1a47.jpeg

• Thanks 1

How disappointing about your fish n chips experience.  I’m spoiled as my husband fishes here on the west coast & cooks fish n chips once in awhile as a treat. 

Also disappointing to read the meals on the ship-two out of seven edible meals is not good, sigh.  Glad your morning eggs were finally cooked properly!

• Like 3

Thanks for the travelogue, *Miss G*! I am loving the photos and descriptions (“House of Negotiable Affection”--snort).

My sister and I were on the Koningsdam at the end of July, and had a grand time (and no serious complaints about the food. I guess we lucked out). I don't know if I missed this in your review, but were you able to find anything to enjoy in the Lido Market or Pinnacle Grill? Or did you stick to the main dining room?

• Thanks 1

DAY 7 - AT SEA

Last night we received our disembarkation package with a Canada Customs Declaration Card to fill in.  Today we will pack and organize gratuities.  The clocks go forward one hour tonight.  There is an errant fruit fly annoying the heck out of me.  He must die.

Here is a beautiful sunset and a lovely moonlit night.

243FBC9F-67D1-4FB0-A7C8-B07DF349E095.thumb.jpeg.85030831f34b6fa559c53b6a645d36f2.jpeg

106182C9-1ADE-4CE5-8C43-1F0D4DBDBB1E.thumb.jpeg.875589ee06d7d5da04e458d8373b0bc8.jpeg

5DEFD50D-6570-424D-99C3-C38A8786D3C0.thumb.jpeg.03fb3e7cefa4c99250495441603dbb42.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1