Northern Lights cruise, How much winter gear?

crusinbanjo

Hi All

After 3 years, Mrs Banjo and I are looking to return to cruising in January on a Viking Northern Lights cruise.  The question I have is what winter clothing should we pack. Will we need our down coats and ski pants along with more extreme cold gear?  Any guidance is appreciated.

Definitely pack in layers, preferably waterproof outer garments.  I used my ski pants and jacket which worked out fine.  Temperature wise, you can expect very cold temperatures at some locations (0 to 10 degree range Fahrenheit).  On a side note if you do a search for "In Search of the Northern Lights", you will see some postings from some of us who travelled on this cruise in the past.  It is a great trip, with great scenery.  Hopefully you will be rewarded with seeing the Northern Lights.  Again though, dress warmly!

Edited by johneb2
punctuation
  • Like 4

Many of the independent "northern lights tours" include a thermal suit you can use over the top of your coat.  They are very worthwhile.  Also, don't overlook your feet.  You will be standing outside doing nothing but looking up for periods of time.  Often you are on snow or ice.  Your feet can get very cold.  We took ankle high heavily insulated boots.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, johneb2 said:

Definitely pack in layers, preferably waterproof outer garments.  I used my ski pants and jacket which worked out fine.  Temperature wise, you can expect very cold temperatures at some locations (0 to 10 degree range Fahrenheit).  On a side note if you do a search for "In Search of the Northern Lights", you will see some postings from some of us who travelled on this cruise in the past.  It is a great trip, with great scenery.  Hopefully you will be rewarded with seeing the Northern Lights.  Again though, dress warmly!

I doubt if you will be allowed to bring them on the plane w you and maybe not even on the ship but chemical hand warmers can be used to keep your hands and feet warm.  You can even put them into your pockets.  Used them all the time on my February aurora photography trip in Fairbanks.

DON

We were on the January '22 Northern Lights cruise and it can get cold, especially in the more internal regions of Norway.  When we went on the Sami Camp & Reindeer Sledding excursion in Alta, some people were not dressed warm enough and they were freezing!

This is what I brought:

Merino wool base layer set (aka "long underwear") that I got from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09ZPFQPRW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

Waterproof fleece lined snow pants (worn over the base layer)

Fleece jacket (worn over the base layer)

Outer waterproof ski jacket (worn over the fleece jacket)

snow boots rated for -60 (mine are sheepskin lined)

several pairs of heavy winter wool socks

waterproof winter gloves and glove liners

warm winter wool hat and balaclava

not a bad idea to bring hand/feet warmers

• Thanks 1

The coldest that we got on this trip was the night we took a private trip to see the lights.  We did this from Tromso.  We stood outside for such a long time since the lights were so spectacular!  I strongly suggest  the hand and feet warmers for your boots.  We never needed big snow boots and our hiking boots were really enough.  Heavy socks, warm hat that covers your ears, and the best gloves you have.  It was a wonderful trip.  Tromso was our favorite place.

• Like 1

We did the Northern Lights cruise in February 2019.  Don't overpack.  We each took a down jacket, one pair of snowpants, fleece tops, long underwear, winter hiking boots, warm hat, gloves, socks, snow goggles, and a balaclava face covering.   We also took "hot hands" hand and toe warmers and they worked great.  It was actually warmer in Norway than it was here in Ohio. 

FYI, if you plan to do any of the wolf excursions, we were advised (via a memo in our cabin) that you could not wear down jackets or leather belts.  We opted to do the husky excursions (highly recommended!) which did not have those restrictions.

We enjoyed this cruise very much but, unfortunately, did not see the lights... If we were to do it again, we'd book a private tour so we could actually "chase" the lights and stay out longer.  Hope you have a great trip!

• Like 1

Be aware that the coastal areas in the artic areas of Norway (e.g., Alta and Tromso) tend to be a bit warmer than the inland areas.  When we did our Sami/Reindeer excursion located in Maze, about 70 km inland from Alta, the temps were about minus 20 F that afternoon - it was cold!  My husband wore his winter hiking boots with two pairs of heavy wool socks and he complained that his feet were cold.  My feet were OK in my -60 F rated snow boots but my hands were cold.  I think the hand/feet warmers would have helped

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, crusinbanjo said:

Thanks all Great advice, pretty much what we were planning, we have most of the gear, (I think),  just need better boots, warmer mittens and hats.  being from New England, we are used to some cold, but Norway is further north.

I'm from New York and have actually been to the north pole a couple of times (via submarine) and the coldest experiences I've ever had were still in Groton CT (the wind coming up the sound....)!

• Like 2

On 9/7/2022 at 4:56 PM, formernuke said:

I'm from New York and have actually been to the north pole a couple of times (via submarine) and the coldest experiences I've ever had were still in Groton CT (the wind coming up the sound....)!

Thanks, that is too funny.  Mrs Banjo and I have been as far north as 73 degrees, (Resolute Island), in the northwest passage.  It was pretty cold there, even in the summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Our NL trip is in early March 2023 and I’m wondering if anyone can speak to the temperature/clothing situation then.  I followed the comments from trips last year and it sounded VERY cold in January and February but I didn’t see any comments from the March trips.  I have all the layers of clothing from an expedition trip on another line but they provided the use of Muck boots.  I’m at a loss as I live in So Cal and don’t have a lot of need for warm boots.  Should I expect more slush in March …so do I need waterproof boots?.  How did you all pack heavy winter boots?  Any suggestion are appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2022 at 12:21 AM, SoBaycruiser said:

Our NL trip is in early March 2023 and I’m wondering if anyone can speak to the temperature/clothing situation then.  I followed the comments from trips last year and it sounded VERY cold in January and February but I didn’t see any comments from the March trips.  I have all the layers of clothing from an expedition trip on another line but they provided the use of Muck boots.  I’m at a loss as I live in So Cal and don’t have a lot of need for warm boots.  Should I expect more slush in March …so do I need waterproof boots?.  How did you all pack heavy winter boots?  Any suggestion are appreciated.

We are going in mid-March too. I wonder what March will be like, also… We live in upstate NY, so hopefully we will be able to deal with the cold… Enjoy your cruise!

On 9/6/2022 at 9:34 AM, KyOh said:

The coldest that we got on this trip was the night we took a private trip to see the lights.  We did this from Tromso.  We stood outside for such a long time since the lights were so spectacular!  I strongly suggest  the hand and feet warmers for your boots.  We never needed big snow boots and our hiking boots were really enough.  Heavy socks, warm hat that covers your ears, and the best gloves you have.  It was a wonderful trip.  Tromso was our favorite place.

Did you feel you needed snow pants/waterproof pants? We have heavy wool sock and either merino wool or Columbia’s insulated leggings to wear under our pants. Thanks 

3 hours ago, SoBaycruiser said:
4 hours ago, Iloveketo said:

Did you feel you needed snow pants/waterproof pants? We have heavy wool sock and either merino wool or Columbia’s insulated leggings to wear under our pants. Thanks 

I’ve read that waterproof pants are really needed.

I would definitely recommend waterproof pants and jacket.  The weather, depending on the location, can be very changeable from snow/rain to clearer skies over a very short time.  That was what happened to us in March 2019.  Be careful with wool socks.  They may keep you warm at the beginning, but if your feet start sweating they will actually make you colder.  Also the weather can vary dramatically as you go further away from the coast.  With our one excursion we were treated to a view of the Lights while another excursion to an area an hour away at the same time had clouds and snow.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, johneb2 said:

I would definitely recommend waterproof pants and jacket.  The weather, depending on the location, can be very changeable from snow/rain to clearer skies over a very short time.  That was what happened to us in March 2019.  Be careful with wool socks.  They may keep you warm at the beginning, but if your feet start sweating they will actually make you colder.  Also the weather can vary dramatically as you go further away from the coast.  With our one excursion we were treated to a view of the Lights while another excursion to an area an hour away at the same time had clouds and snow.

Thanks for the tips.  I’ve been hoping someone who had been there in March would respond.  Do you have any other tips for a March NL trip?

I have been to Iceland in winter-time, my experience (as a hiker):

Layers are (VERY) important (including thermal, long-legged, long-sleeved underwear)

Wool socks (Merino works best)

Wool cap and/or headband, balaclava. Gloves.

Light-weight water-proof jacket & leggings

Solid, waterproof hiking boots (or shoes). I also took a pair of crampons.

Best way not to have to pack hiking boots on a plane is to wear them. Take them off on the plane and slip on something like sneakers that are in your carry-on.

Trekking poles.

Goggles. Chapstick.

I tend to over-prepare .....

• Like 3

8 hours ago, johneb2 said:

Thanks for your reply! This morning I did a test pack with my waterproof/wind proof pants added to my clothes. Everything still fits! Only 14.4 pounds! I just left our an extra bathing suit and coverup. I figure the pants were more important than an extra bathing suit. Coming from upset NY I will already be wearing my heavy outer gear. Not something people coming from warm climates will be doing. There are advantages coming from a snow-belt. Lol

15 hours ago, SoBaycruiser said:

Thanks for the tips.  I’ve been hoping someone who had been there in March would respond.  Do you have any other tips for a March NL trip?

The important thing is to be patient and flexible.  By that I mean, temperatures and conditions change considerably in a short time and with each location.  For "The Lights" you have to be patient.  On one of our excursions they did not become visible until we were on location until the last 20 minutes of a 3 hour excursion.  If you intend to photograph "The Lights" a tripod, even for a camera phone is strongly recommended.  I might add we did get to see the NL right from the ship.  They dimmed the lights on the top deck for us.  Remember to have adequate supply of charged batteries for your camera as the cold weather drains them quickly.  As for shoes, as a previous poster mentioned "waterproof" and warm is a definite. I wore my waterproof hiking shoes on the plane.  I do not recommend sneakers. I also recommend thermals as it can wicker perspiration from your body.  Just like sweating with wool socks, perspiration from too many layers will make you cold.  Remember you will be walking on snow covered terrain at times.  We did not find a trek pole was necessary, but if you are going to go on some challenging excursions it might be worthwhile. On the cruise, you will see many beautiful sights, as Norway is very beautiful.  We were blessed with good weather until near the end of the cruise.  If you have a specific question, I will try and answer it.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, SoBaycruiser said:

We went in March this year (with another line) the most northerly stop Narvik. It was often bitterly cold at night and taking off ones gloves to take a photo felt like getting frostbite! When you have -15 degrees plus windchill, if you are not used to very low temperatures it seems penetrating. We had some of the best sightings of the lights whilst at sea in the Arctic. On some occasions the land based excursions were a disappointment because of the weather.

In March we beautiful cold days, snow, blizzards rain and storms in 12 days. Really go prepared for all scenarios as we were surprised how many people were not suitably attired.

You will have a wonderful time, I am sure.

• Like 4

Thanks @johneb2 , @LadyL1 and @janetcbl!

That’s great information.  I am so happy to hear they will dim the ship’s lights and the Aurora can possibly be seen from the ship.  Did the pictures turn out on a moving ship?  I was curious about dressing for dinner if people were a bit more casual on a trip like this.  If the lights became visible during dinner, I’d hate to have return to my cabin and change all my clothes vs maybe just putting on the jacket, gloves, boots, and wind/water proof pants over what I was wearing.  Or do passengers have an idea when the lights might be possible and just time their dinner time and locale around that?  It occurs to me the apps usually give you an idea when they might appear.

Because we are from So Cal we don’t get the cold weather we will experience.  However,  we did go on a NE Greenland expedition one year and have a lot of cold weather gear.  However it wasn’t winter and I wasn’t sure what to expect in March until your posts.  I appreciate the comments.  I do have warm gloves with liners for when I need to take them off for picture taking.  I have Marino wool sock liners for my heavier Marino wool outer socks.  I didn’t experience any sweating from the double layer in Greenland so I hope not to on this trip.   I bought some flexible crampons recently.  I have a hat that covers my ears and a Gater to pull up over my lower face.  Boots are the most difficult thing to bring.  I’ve decided to wear mine onto the plane and then slip into something more comfortable as I store them under my seat.  I’m bring a lot of hand warmer and toe warmer packets.  We have booked a private NL chasing tour in Alta and so will come prepared for the lack of toilet facilities.  It’s all quite daunting but I know it will be worth it.

Thank you all again.