Northern Lights cruise, How much winter gear?

crusinbanjo

1 hour ago, SoBaycruiser said:

Thanks @johneb2 , @LadyL1 and @janetcbl!

That’s great information.  I am so happy to hear they will dim the ship’s lights and the Aurora can possibly be seen from the ship.  Did the pictures turn out on a moving ship?  I was curious about dressing for dinner if people were a bit more casual on a trip like this.  If the lights became visible during dinner, I’d hate to have return to my cabin and change all my clothes vs maybe just putting on the jacket, gloves, boots, and wind/water proof pants over what I was wearing.  Or do passengers have an idea when the lights might be possible and just time their dinner time and locale around that?  It occurs to me the apps usually give you an idea when they might appear.

Because we are from So Cal we don’t get the cold weather we will experience.  However,  we did go on a NE Greenland expedition one year and have a lot of cold weather gear.  However it wasn’t winter and I wasn’t sure what to expect in March until your posts.  I appreciate the comments.  I do have warm gloves with liners for when I need to take them off for picture taking.  I have Marino wool sock liners for my heavier Marino wool outer socks.  I didn’t experience any sweating from the double layer in Greenland so I hope not to on this trip.   I bought some flexible crampons recently.  I have a hat that covers my ears and a Gater to pull up over my lower face.  Boots are the most difficult thing to bring.  I’ve decided to wear mine onto the plane and then slip into something more comfortable as I store them under my seat.  I’m bring a lot of hand warmer and toe warmer packets.  We have booked a private NL chasing tour in Alta and so will come prepared for the lack of toilet facilities.  It’s all quite daunting but I know it will be worth it.

Thank you all again.

Did you book with a private tour company or have you been able to book with Viking already?

3 hours ago, The Other Tom said:

We are going on the NL cruise. Which tour did you book?

We went with GLØD Explorer.  I read some good reviews about them from people last winter.  Groups of 8 and the guide is a photographer who helps you set up your camera for the good pix.  They provide extra warm clothing.  

Which cruise will you be on?  We’ll be on the 8th of Mar.

3 hours ago, Iloveketo said:

Did you book with a private tour company or have you been able to book with Viking already?

We went with a private company.  GLØD Explorer which was rated well on TripAdvisor.  We are new to Viking and I wasn’t sure if returning guests got to book first and what would be left for us. We don’t get to book excursions until New Years Eve.  Also we have always had good luck with private tour companies.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SoBaycruiser said:

We went with GLØD Explorer.  I read some good reviews about them from people last winter.  Groups of 8 and the guide is a photographer who helps you set up your camera for the good pix.  They provide extra warm clothing.  

Which cruise will you be on?  We’ll be on the 8th of Mar.

Thanks for the info.  We're going in Feb. 

A little bit more info.  It was asked if the photos of the NL from the ship came out okay.  Yes they did.  At the time it was taken, the ship was barely moving.  Keep in mind these pictures were taken on a tripod, with a Canon 90d DSLR.  Some PAX had camera phones with Apps on them, with a few having success.  I do not remember what the App they used.  The first picture was taken from the ship on the way to Narvik, while the other was on a Viking excursion outside Narvik.  While the pictures represent some of my better results, please know I had many failures!  You will find many seminars on board, as well as on the excursions to guide you on setting up you camera.   Also, the ship makes announcements when the NL has been sighted.  It is important that you turn on the TV to the designated channel during the later overnight hours as announcements are made only through the TV, not the general PA system.  If I remember correctly, 9pm was the hour they changed from the PA to TV announcements.

2S9A9257 Narvik __fm.jpg

narvik  a__fm.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, johneb2 said:

A little bit more info.  It was asked if the photos of the NL from the ship came out okay.  Yes they did.  At the time it was taken, the ship was barely moving.  Keep in mind these pictures were taken on a tripod, with a Canon 90d DSLR.  Some PAX had camera phones with Apps on them, with a few having success.  I do not remember what the App they used.  The first picture was taken from the ship on the way to Narvik, while the other was on a Viking excursion outside Narvik.  While the pictures represent some of my better results, please know I had many failures!  You will find many seminars on board, as well as on the excursions to guide you on setting up you camera.   Also, the ship makes announcements when the NL has been sighted.  It is important that you turn on the TV to the designated channel during the later overnight hours as announcements are made only through the TV, not the general PA system.  If I remember correctly, 9pm was the hour they changed from the PA to TV announcements.

2S9A9257 Narvik __fm.jpg

narvik  a__fm.jpg

This bottom photograph is amazing.  It looks like a professional painting!  If you haven't already, you should turn this into a holiday card.  

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 12:12 AM, Beejay4016 said:

I totally agree with aungrl - that photograph is just stunning, and you should display it with pride.

Thank you.  I am advanced photographer (not professional), and spent quite a bit of time before the cruise, researching the settings etc.  I was rewarded with some very good pics on it.  Unfortunately, the NL is not the easiest thing to photograph!  Patience is needed,   Thanks again.

• Like 2