ArriveCAN app

3Boogity

Do I have to fill out the ArriveCAN app since I am Canadian and am not entering Canada before I board the Nieuw Amsterdam Sept 11 because I am already in Canada?

Edited by 3Boogity
Add to question

Yes.  I looked up your cruise and it is the 14 day round trip? You will fill out ArriveCAN within 72 hours of boarding. You will enter September 25 as the date you return to Canada in the app. 
When we boarded the Zuiderdam last week they were making sure people had their ArriveCAN filled out and many people were pulled to the side because they hadn’t done it, or had entered their dates incorrectly.

3 minutes ago, robotpony said:

Yes, as stated fill it in within 72 hours of embarking/leaving.

I also recommend using the VeriFly app if you can. At least in Vancouver, it saved us about 45 minutes compared to the normal security lines.

Agree. Verifly  really expedited things for us.

Edited by sunviking90

40 minutes ago, 3Boogity said:

sunviking90 just checking to make sure I have this right because the first port in Canada that we return to is Prince Rupert B.C on Sept 23 and not Vancouver on Sept 25.

You’re right then. You would put the 23rd in. I didn’t look at your itinerary that closely. Looks like a great cruise. Enjoy!

1 hour ago, Coquitlam Cruiser said:

thanks for my photo done ok but for some reason cannot upload vaccination maybe I will delete and start over.  Thanks

We couldn't upload our vaccination proof until we were about 3 weeks to travel time, which was last weekend.  It took us a few times before we could get mine accepted.  My husbands was a bit easier.  The health questionnaire and the covid  test results can't be uploaded until right before the cruise.  

35 minutes ago, Daisyloo said:

We couldn't upload our vaccination proof until we were about 3 weeks to travel time, which was last weekend.  It took us a few times before we could get mine accepted.  My husbands was a bit easier.  The health questionnaire and the covid  test results can't be uploaded until right before the cruise.  

Thanks for the info.  I will keep trying

8 hours ago, robotpony said:

Yes, as stated fill it in within 72 hours of embarking/leaving.

I also recommend using the VeriFly app if you can. At least in Vancouver, it saved us about 45 minutes compared to the normal security lines.

@robotpony, can you advise whose security lines you are referring to? HAL, Vancouver cruise terminal, airport? Wouldn't VeriFly be redundant with ArriveCan? Thanks! 🍺🥌

14 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

@robotpony, can you advise whose security lines you are referring to? HAL, Vancouver cruise terminal, airport? Wouldn't VeriFly be redundant with ArriveCan? Thanks! 🍺🥌

There were special lines for VeriFly at the Vancouver cruise terminal that were significantly shorter and faster than the standard security lines. We had friends in the standard lines that took about an hour to get through, and we were about 15 minutes. The whole VeriFly experience is pretty simple: stand in line for kiosk, approach kiosk, let it take a picture, walk away.

VeriFly is over-and-above ArriveCan, as far as I understand it. ArriveCan is always required for all travel to and from Canada to verify COVID details, VeriFly is a way for HA to speed things up including vaccination and security details. It did seem redundant, but I couldn't complain about the boarding speed with VeriFly.

Edited by robotpony
  • Thanks 1

I understand I will need to do the ArriveCan before we board our Alaska cruise R/T Seattle on Sept. 17 (HAL Eurodam) for our brief stop in Victoria, September 23. We will debark on September 24 in Seattle, then we will take the Quick Shuttle from Pier 91 to Vancouver for the night before boarding the Royal cruise that would take us back to Los Angeles. We need the second ArriveCan done after our stop in Victoria for the bus trip on the next day, correct? After the bus trip, do I need another (the 3rd one) done before boarding the ship out of Canada Place? We are leaving Canada but have a stop in Victoria the 2nd day on this cruise. This is getting to be more confusing. 

@ROCruiserYes, you will need three because every time you enter Canada or board a cruise a new one is needed.  The ArriveCAN App will only do one at a time.

#1 - Boarding Eurodam in Seattle to go to cruise to Alaska  (no more than 72

hours before boarding)

#2 - Before crossing the border on the shuttle bus to Vancouver (no more than

72 hours before crossing border)

#3 - After crossing into Canada on the bus and before boarding the Royal ship

at Canada Place

In my case, I fly from SFO to Vancouver so need one submission of ArriveCAN.  After arrival in YVR I will need to do a second submission within 72 hours of boarding the ship at Canada Place.

COVID-19: Cruise ship travel requirements – Travel.gc.ca

"Entering Canada by land or air before embarking on a cruise

You must complete your ArriveCAN submission before entering Canada, no more than 72 hours of boarding your flight or before entering Canada by land.

• If you’re flying in to join a cruise immediately, enter the address of your terminal.
  • If you’re not joining the cruise immediately, enter the address of your hotel.

You must also submit a second ArriveCAN submission no more than 72 hours before boarding the cruise. This applies even if your second ArriveCAN submission is within 72 hours of the first submission."

Perfectly clear, right?  🙄

Edited by oakridger
  • Thanks 1

OMG Thanks to our Government (Trudeau) to make all this so easy 😡

Let me know if I understand this correctly our itinerary leaves from Quebec September 24th on Nieuw Statendam for 8 nights finishing in Boston. That means will need to fill out ArriveCan before boarding the ship then before our arrival back into Canada right ? 

Thanks all

Sea Ya 

Eric 

6 minutes ago, DUCHESSRN said:

I just did our Arrive Can App for Sept 7th departing SFO on Ruby Princess for a 10 day cruise .

We got our QR code and nowhere did it state we needed a Covid Test ..all rather confusing .

We visit Prince Rupert Sept 14th.

You uploaded your proof of vaccination into ArriveCAN and now you're OK there.  The pre-embarkation covid test results will be shown to the cruise line agent when you board; this is a somewhat different requirement related to the medical declaration of health that the ship must submit to Canadian authorities as part of gaining clearance to enter Canada.  So... no uploading of covid results into ArriveCAN.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, d9704011 said:

You uploaded your proof of vaccination into ArriveCAN and now you're OK there.  The pre-embarkation covid test results will be shown to the cruise line agent when you board; this is a somewhat different requirement related to the medical declaration of health that the ship must submit to Canadian authorities as part of gaining clearance to enter Canada.  So... no uploading of covid results into ArriveCAN.

Thank you.

10 hours ago, nimiq said:

OMG Thanks to our Government (Trudeau) to make all this so easy 😡

Let me know if I understand this correctly our itinerary leaves from Quebec September 24th on Nieuw Statendam for 8 nights finishing in Boston. That means will need to fill out ArriveCan before boarding the ship then before our arrival back into Canada right ? 

Thanks all

Sea Ya 

Eric 

Correct - two separate entries. 🍺🥌

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Correct - two separate entries. 🍺🥌

Are you sure about that?  Here is an excerpt from Canadian government website regarding cruises staying in Canada or not returning to Canada:

Cruises that are staying in Canadian waters or not returning to Canada

All travellers are required to take a pre-embarkation COVID-19 test before embarking on a cruise in Canada, even if the cruise ship is not leaving Canadian waters

Travellers who are staying within Canada throughout their entire journey or who are leaving Canada and not returning don’t have to complete ArriveCAN.

I've had a frustrating morning. I'm trying to figure out how to deal with ArriveCAN for my upcoming cruise. I tried to set up an account but didn't have a scanned copy of my vax card to upload. I assumed I could go back in and finish the application but when I tried that, it recognized that I had signed up, but indicated I hadn't entered any traveler information. Groan... I guess you need to have the details of your trip lined up with documents at the ready to upload.  Not sure if I need a negative Covid test or not. It looks like I have to submit an ArriveCAN application before I fly into Vancouver and then again when I get there so I can get on the ship the next day.  I don't know how this keeps anyone from contracting or spreading Covid. 

All very confusing especially for those of us the wrong side of 70 . 

I am sure there as some poor folks who cannot do it without help ,we were like 2 kindergarten kids reading it aloud together to make sure we had it right !!!

Covid test today but how good will that be when we dock in Prince Rupert on 14th.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Are you sure about that?  Here is an excerpt from Canadian government website regarding cruises staying in Canada or not returning to Canada:

All travellers are required to take a pre-embarkation COVID-19 test before embarking on a cruise in Canada, even if the cruise ship is not leaving Canadian waters

Travellers who are staying within Canada throughout their entire journey or who are leaving Canada and not returning don’t have to complete ArriveCAN.

I think you may be correct - I may have been led astray by the need for travelers flying in first (they get to do 2 x ArriveCan entries, no matter how short the time from air arrival to ship boarding.

In rereading the section, I would agree that @nimiq should not need ArriveCan before boarding in Quebec, unless the trip goes outside Cdn waters and returns - I don't have the itinerary, but I suspect that is not likely.

Here's the section you are referencing, thanks! 🍺🥌

Starting an international cruise in Canada or arriving by cruise from another country

These requirements apply to cruises:

• arriving in Canada from a foreign country
  • starting in Canada, but travelling outside Canadian waters and then returning to Canada (for example, if docking in the United States for a shore excursion)

All travellers are required to:

• complete ArriveCAN no more than 72 hours of initially boarding the cruise. This includes:
    • any traveller who recently submitted ArriveCAN to enter Canada via land or air
    • Canadians embarking on an international cruise from Canada that will return to Canada
  • take a pre-embarkation COVID-19 test before embarking on a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point in the itinerary
  •  

Edited by CurlerRob
  • Thanks 1