JUST got off the phone with HAL re: Canada requirements

southernshug

We are leaving on Sept 17th from Boston to Quebec. I was just informed that we DO need a monitored Covid test, as Canada is requiring it, but we do NOT need a covid booster!!! They do consider "fully vaccinated" as having the original 2 vaccines. I hope this helps with some of the confusion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for this confirmation of what we have been told by HAL since we booked this cruise (we board the week after you). This latest "simplification" had unsurprisingly caused us yet more confusion as we had gone over Canada's requirements over and over and had seen no changes there. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 2

Did you get your 2nd vaccine more than 5 months ago?  If so, you need a booster according to CANADA ENHANCED PROTOCOLS VACCINATION.  I prefer my information in writing that I can print and carry to the port with me.  

This is the current HAL written policy for Canada: All guests 12 years of age and older must be fully vaccinated. A booster dose is required for guests 18 years of age and older whose final dose of an approved/authorized COVID-19 vaccine is older than 5 months to be considered “fully vaccinated.” Only one booster dose is needed to be considered fully vaccinated.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Did you get your 2nd vaccine more than 5 months ago?  If so, you need a booster according to CANADA ENHANCED PROTOCOLS VACCINATION.  I prefer my information in writing that I can print and carry to the port with me.  

This is the current HAL written policy for Canada: All guests 12 years of age and older must be fully vaccinated. A booster dose is required for guests 18 years of age and older whose final dose of an approved/authorized COVID-19 vaccine is older than 5 months to be considered “fully vaccinated.” Only one booster dose is needed to be considered fully vaccinated.

Our cruises are not on the list for "Canada Enhanced Protocols." In fact NO Canada/NE cruises are. 

Just now, fatcat04 said:

Our cruises are not on the list for "Canada Enhanced Protocols." In fact NO Canada/NE cruises are. 

I'm definitely confused, because I checked Canada's requirements and it doesn't mention needing a booster dose or timing of the 2nd shot other than having the 2nd shot at least 14 days before sailing. I checked NCL as well, and there is also no mention of updated enhanced requirements.

Just now, sea_la_vie said:

I'm definitely confused, because I checked Canada's requirements and it doesn't mention needing a booster dose or timing of the 2nd shot other than having the 2nd shot at least 14 days before sailing. I checked NCL as well, and there is also no mention of updated enhanced requirements.

You are not alone. The Booster requirement from what I am seeing in terms of Canadian cruises has nothing to do with Canada itself. Maybe it is linked to the longer itinerary voyages/collectors voyages clause for those cruises listed on the PDF?

from: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#determine-fully

Vaccination requirements

To embark on a cruise ship that will start, dock or end in Canada, if you’re 12 years of age or older, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, with very few exceptions.

• Note: many cruise lines require vaccination for children 5 years and older.

Check if you qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller

To qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller to Canada, you must:

• have received at least 2 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine accepted for travel, a mix of 2 accepted vaccines
    • or at least 1 dose of the Janssen Jcovden (Johnson & Johnson, Ad26.COV2.S (JNJ-78436735)) vaccine
  • have received your second dose at least 14 calendar days before you enter Canada
    • Example: if your second dose was anytime on Thursday, July 1, then Thursday, July 15 would be the first day that you meet the 14 day condition
    • this timing is only required for your second dose, not for third or fourth doses
  • have no signs or symptoms of COVID-19
  • have ArriveCAN receipt with letter A, I, or V beside your name by uploading proof of vaccination in ArriveCAN

No mention of boosters anywhere. I guess it is possible some provinces have their own rules but I haven't seen anything yet.  

• Like 2

So, we go out of Quebec City in October.  We have our 2 vaccines and also two boosters and getting the third.  So, we should be covered there.

Our question is do we still ALSO need to have an administered, negative test within 72-hours or anything similar in order to take the cruise?

20 minutes ago, Guardsy said:

So, we go out of Quebec City in October.  We have our 2 vaccines and also two boosters and getting the third.  So, we should be covered there.

Our question is do we still ALSO need to have an administered, negative test within 72-hours or anything similar in order to take the cruise?

Yes, per Canada requirements in ArriveCAN.  For boarding a Cruise Ship it's 72 hours pre-embarkation time if you get a PCR test.  2 days pre-embarkation if you get a rapid antigen test.

COVID-19: Cruise ship travel requirements – Travel.gc.ca

9 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

You are not alone. The Booster requirement from what I am seeing in terms of Canadian cruises has nothing to do with Canada itself. Maybe it is linked to the longer itinerary voyages/collectors voyages clause for those cruises listed on the PDF?

from: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#determine-fully

Vaccination requirements

To embark on a cruise ship that will start, dock or end in Canada, if you’re 12 years of age or older, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, with very few exceptions.

• Note: many cruise lines require vaccination for children 5 years and older.

• have received at least 2 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine accepted for travel, a mix of 2 accepted vaccines
    • or at least 1 dose of the Janssen Jcovden (Johnson & Johnson, Ad26.COV2.S (JNJ-78436735)) vaccine
  • have received your second dose at least 14 calendar days before you enter Canada
    • Example: if your second dose was anytime on Thursday, July 1, then Thursday, July 15 would be the first day that you meet the 14 day condition
    • this timing is only required for your second dose, not for third or fourth doses
  • have ArriveCAN receipt with letter A, I, or V beside your name by uploading proof of vaccination in ArriveCAN

No mention of boosters anywhere. I guess it is possible some provinces have their own rules but I haven't seen anything yet.  

Agree that it's confusing. Just to make it a bit worse, there is a special website regarding cruise travellers: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

The fully vaxed regulations are the same as the ones you pointed to (no booster requirement by Canada is correct), but, as @oakridgerpointed out, there continue to be more restrictive requirements for anyone on a cruise ship that starts or calls in Canada, versus air, land or private boat arrivals - pretesting continues to be required for cruise pax.

The rules are federal, so they don't vary by province. 🍺🥌

Edited by CurlerRob
typo
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, -The-True-North- said:

Looks like if you are traveling before that, no booster is required. What a STUPID policy. These dumb dumbs need to pull their heads out their a$$.

Not that we always make sense down here either, but I have scratched my head a few times at Canada's COVID policies.  This one is, by far, the biggest head scratcher.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Not that we always make sense down here either, but I have scratched my head a few times at Canada's COVID policies.  This one is, by far, the biggest head scratcher.  

before this the booster was the original shot over and over again. This is the first "new" booster and it's been over 2 years for some. I might finally get one now... maybe  esp. if places require it.

Just now, -The-True-North- said:

It appears that this new CANADA ENHANCED PROTOCOLS VACCINATION policy starts for cruises that disembark ON or AFTER September 28.

Looks like if you are traveling before that, no booster is required. What a STUPID policy. These dumb dumbs need to pull their heads out their a$$.

Just now, Aquahound said:

Of course it’s confusing when people start attributing cruise line policies to countries that don’t, in fact, have those requirements at all. The CANADA ENHANCED PROTOCOLS are a HAL thing, and nothing to do with the Government of Canada.

Copied and pasted from the Government of Canada website:

No booster requirement is mentioned.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, -The-True-North- said:

It appears that this new CANADA ENHANCED PROTOCOLS VACCINATION policy starts for cruises that disembark ON or AFTER September 28.

And, of course, my cruise departs on Sept. 28th...sigh. So I now have to track down and take a rapid test before we fly out. This is such a pain, other lines have scrapped this requirement...what is up with HAL when I can fly *into* Canada without a test but have to provide one to *leave Canada* on HAL???

I am 100% for trying to keep the public safe. And I will happily wear a mask while in tight corridors (although I'd prefer not to). But I am 100% again vaccine mandates and booster mandates. That is a personal preference and no one but you should force an injection into you.

They don't force people to get the flu shot and they shouldn't force people to get this.

With that being said, I have 2 shots and don't require a 3rd. I will wear a mask on board (asked or not) but will not be getting a third dose ever, and therefore might have to change my future cruising company.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, -The-True-North- said:

I am 100% for trying to keep the public safe. And I will happily wear a mask while in tight corridors (although I'd prefer not to). But I am 100% again vaccine mandates and booster mandates. That is a personal preference and no one but you should force an injection into you.

They don't force people to get the flu shot and they shouldn't force people to get this.

With that being said, I have 2 shots and don't require a 3rd. I will wear a mask on board (asked or not) but will not be getting a third dose ever, and therefore might have to change my future cruising company.

I agree with you 💯 %

• Like 1

Note that if you are fully vaccinated, you still need a negative test to board a ship in Canada, UNLESS you have had a POSITIVE PCR test more than 10 days and less than 180 days before boarding, and have no current symptoms of Covid.  So, the Covid we picked up in June on our Alaska cruise is saving us from having to get a test for our Canada/NE cruise later this month.  Hooray!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, -The-True-North- said:

they aren't forcing you to get the booster. Just saying you can't cruise

• Like 4
  • Haha 3