Phone service abroad

lidge

I know I can purchase a month package with Verizon (pretty reasonable too).  But how does it work in countries abroad (Turkey, Middle East, Dubai specifically).  Will we need to get "sim" cards in each country (or anything/something else)?  We want to be able to stay connected to the US.  

Our T-Mobile plan gives us unlimited texting and 5GB of high-speed data, after which we get data at  256kpbs in more than 215 countries. There is no extra cost or roaming fees. Voice calls are $0.25/minute. No limits or cost in Mexico or Canada. Worked great last November on our Explorer Caribbean cruise and on a later trip to Britain.

I used to have 2 phones just for when we traveled so I could be on an international plan.  But the Verizon Travel Pass is great and I gave up the TMobile phone.

Only use it when you need to talk in the country you are visiting.  In most cases, WiFi will take care of your data (unless you are working and need to be on all day). 

17 hours ago, lidge said:

I know I can purchase a month package with Verizon (pretty reasonable too).  But how does it work in countries abroad (Turkey, Middle East, Dubai specifically).  Will we need to get "sim" cards in each country (or anything/something else)?  We want to be able to stay connected to the US.  

It appears the Verizon plan will cover you in Turkey, but not Dubai...and you didn't specify the other Middle East countries.

SIMs would definitely offer the best solution.  I find the best place to learn what might be available is the esimdb website.  If your cell phone can take advantage of eSIMs you'll find the site especially convenient. 

8 hours ago, -Lew- said:

It appears the Verizon plan will cover you in Turkey, but not Dubai...and you didn't specify the other Middle East countries.

SIMs would definitely offer the best solution.  I find the best place to learn what might be available is the esimdb website.  If your cell phone can take advantage of eSIMs you'll find the site especially convenient. 

The Verizon plan covers the United Arab Emirates, which contains Dubai. 

While an eSIM plan with voice, data and text might be less expensive than Travelpass(probably depends on how many days you use it), the convenience of using your own phone number might be worth the difference. 

• Like 1