Overnight in Ho Chi Min City (Saigon)

roberts2005

We will be overnighting on May 2nd.  It is not our Azamazing evening as that will be in Hong Kong.   My questions are as follows:

Under normal circumstances, does Azamara dock right in the city or does it involve a bus ride.

Any suggestions for a Do it your self evening.  On a previous visit we walked around the city, but no tours.

Although one can easily get around on your own for an evening in Saigon, here's a bit of an offbeat suggestion:  There is a company called "Back of the Bike Tours".  They offer an evening food tour that you take, as the name says, on the back of a motorbike through the streets of Saigon.  A number of stops for food, plus the tour along the way.  Quite enjoyable.

Now, you might say "I'm a bit beyond riding on a motorcycle on the streets of Saigon".  Our feelings exactly.  But we contacted the company and they arranged for a car for two of us instead, for only a few dollars more than the bikes.  Definitely a plus.  So you can do it on a bike or car.

One other thought:  Take your eyeglass prescription with you.  The best bargains worldwide for glasses are in VN, with overnight service even for progressive lenses.  On the street Le Thanh Ton near the Ben Thanh market, you will find a half-dozen or more eyeglass shops where you can browse back and forth to find what you want.  Then come back the next morning to pick up your purchase.  Prescription sunglasses as well.

Also near Ben Than (on the northeast side of the market, is Luu Van Lang street.  Lots of name brand clothing and shoes are made in Vietnam, and you can find them in the "outlet" shops along this block.  Whether they are surplus, or seconds or "a bit warm" from falling off a truck is up to you to decide, but a place to browse in any case.

Finally, for a bit of "cultural appropriation", check out Eddie's New York Deli & Diner.  Can't vouch for their corned beef, but a slice of Americana in the middle of Southeast Asia.  And Pasteur Street Brewing across the street for some American-inspired craft beer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Although one can easily get around on your own for an evening in Saigon, here's a bit of an offbeat suggestion:  There is a company called "Back of the Bike Tours".  They offer an evening food tour that you take, as the name says, on the back of a motorbike through the streets of Saigon.  A number of stops for food, plus the tour along the way.  Quite enjoyable.

Now, you might say "I'm a bit beyond riding on a motorcycle on the streets of Saigon".  Our feelings exactly.  But we contacted the company and they arranged for a car for two of us instead, for only a few dollars more than the bikes.  Definitely a plus.  So you can do it on a bike or car.

One other thought:  Take your eyeglass prescription with you.  The best bargains worldwide for glasses are in VN, with overnight service even for progressive lenses.  On the street Le Thanh Ton near the Ben Thanh market, you will find a half-dozen or more eyeglass shops where you can browse back and forth to find what you want.  Then come back the next morning to pick up your purchase.  Prescription sunglasses as well.

Also near Ben Than (on the northeast side of the market, is Luu Van Lang street.  Lots of name brand clothing and shoes are made in Vietnam, and you can find them in the "outlet" shops along this block.  Whether they are surplus, or seconds or "a bit warm" from falling off a truck is up to you to decide, but a place to browse in any case.

Finally, for a bit of "cultural appropriation", check out Eddie's New York Deli & Diner.  Can't vouch for their corned beef, but a slice of Americana in the middle of Southeast Asia.  And Pasteur Street Brewing across the street for some American-inspired craft beer.

Thank you for the options.   Are the shops on Luu Van Lang street open in the evening?

7 hours ago, roberts2005 said:

We will be overnighting on May 2nd.  It is not our Azamazing evening as that will be in Hong Kong.   My questions are as follows:

Under normal circumstances, does Azamara dock right in the city or does it involve a bus ride.

Any suggestions for a Do it your self evening.  On a previous visit we walked around the city, but no tours.

Although Azamara does go up the Saigon River and docks pretty near the town, it’s still provides a shuttle as it’s not really walkable from the dock.

16 hours ago, roberts2005 said:

An evening in Saigon, even just walking around and soaking in the atmosphere is a must if you do not have the amazing evening there.  The shuttle used to drop you near the Rex Hotel, (presume it will still) and this is a great place on its rooftop bar to soak in a little of the life in "safe" surroundings

I do have a great guide in this area, if you want one. His name is Xuan Le (pronounced "Soon"), you can reach him at tourwithxuan.com

I used him in January 2020 when I traveled to Vietnam with a large group of friends. He lives in Ho Chi Minh City, but he also travels all across Vietnam to provide tours for people. He is quite popular and stays pretty booked up, but he is excellent. Great energy, fun personality, excellent English, knowledgeable. I enjoyed him so much that we have stayed friends, and we plan to meet for dinner when we are back in Vietnam this January. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, roberts2005 said:

To be honest, if it was the white night I would still want to walk around Saigon at night

I agree, it’s such a unique insight and probably something you might not get the opportunity to do again unlike White Night.