Booking Galapagos Excursions

AliceJ

DH and I are looking at booking a Galapagos cruise for February 2023.

With the limited number of excursions offered, we are concerned that we could book the cruise and find out excursions we want are already booked out.

For recent Galapagos cruisers, did you have difficulty getting the excursions you wanted? Are they all booked ahead of time online, or are some/all booked once on board?

Appreciate the help. It's our first cruise in several years and our first on SilverSea.

With the Galápagos cruises you don’t book in advance of boarding. 

You’ll sign up in person each night after the nightly briefing for the next days excursions. 

There was never any problem for us booking the excursions we wanted. There was plenty of room for everyone. 

• Thanks 1

AliceJ,

You will love it. We talk about the wonders of the Galapagos regularly. As Bill said, there was room for everyone that wanted to do a particular excursion. The deep water snorkelling is not to be missed. Swimming surrounded by fish of every colour as well as sea turtles and sea lions is an experience of a lifetime. If you are really lucky a penguin will dart by.
Enjoy. 
Lauranne

• Like 1

• Thank you Lauranne! We are very excited for this trip.

Do either you or Bill (or anyone else who's been) thinks that it would make any kind of difference which side of the ship we are on? I was thinking that maybe one side would face the islands more often when we are at anchor. 

Thanks for all the replies - and love those pictures!!

I think this is my last question. There are multiple places where excursions are offered for snorkeling, kayaking and hiking. Would you recommend particular stops for any of these? Or are they all pretty much amazing no matter what the stop?

9 hours ago, AliceJ said:

Thanks for all the replies - and love those pictures!!

I think this is my last question. There are multiple places where excursions are offered for snorkeling, kayaking and hiking. Would you recommend particular stops for any of these? Or are they all pretty much amazing no matter what the stop?

We just got back from our August Galapagos cruise.  My advice, do as many of the excursions as possible!!

We are pretty active 59 & 60's.  We would do the early morning one, then if there was another around 10 or 10:30, then have lunch, then out for # 3 or 4.  Snorkeling, kayaking, hiking. Also, my advice, unless you do deep water snorkeling often, do the 1st day "refresher, or beginner" whatever they call it.  You will see the water temps, and will swim a good bit around, even close to rocks and see how comfortable you feel. We saw reef sharks even on that little snorkel.

Also, the water was pretty chilly!!! I had poly/spandex leggings with me, and put those on and a long sleeved snug rash guard before the shorty wetsuit.  It made such a difference.

Closed toe Keens, or slip-on water shoes for wet landings and for getting on/off zodiac.  You put your fins on when on the zodiac, and leave them in a net bag and sturdy, grippy footwear is necessary.  

Kayaking is super fun, and a great workout!

Ask me anything, as it is all fresh in my mind.

• Like 1

Kimanjo - thanks for the info! We haven't done a deep snorkel before (although we are certified divers) and am glad I looked up more info. I can see where it would be chillier than surface snorkeling. We'll definitely do the beginner excursion to start out. How did you find the water currents - were they strong?

Do you recommend doing particular excursions on one stop as opposed to another?

We've never done a SilverSea cruise. Is all the tipping truly included? Should we bring some sort of gift for our butler?  What about for the guides on this trip? Did you need any cash once you left Quito?

Lastly (for now😉) how dressy were people for dinner? I know no shorts or jeans, but would khakis and a polo for my husband and a sundress for me be appropriate.

Thanks for answering my questions. We are so very excited!!!

6 minutes ago, AliceJ said:

Is all the tipping truly included?

Yes

7 minutes ago, AliceJ said:

Should we bring some sort of gift for our butler?

Not required or necessary

8 minutes ago, AliceJ said:

What about for the guides on this trip?

Not for guides employed by SS

8 minutes ago, AliceJ said:

...would khakis and a polo for my husband and a sundress for me be appropriate.

Yes

• Like 1

I was there exactly one year ago and my Facebook page is popping up the photo memories.  What a fantastic trip it was.

Do every excursion that you can.  You really won't have to choose between A and B; you will be able to do both.

The water currents are not strong.  You'll do quite fine.  The zodiacs stay with you to keep and eye on you, and if you get tired, you just wave at them and they will come in to pick you up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AliceJ said:

Kimanjo - thanks for the info! We haven't done a deep snorkel before (although we are certified divers) and am glad I looked up more info. I can see where it would be chillier than surface snorkeling. We'll definitely do the beginner excursion to start out. How did you find the water currents - were they strong?

Do you recommend doing particular excursions on one stop as opposed to another?

We've never done a SilverSea cruise. Is all the tipping truly included? Should we bring some sort of gift for our butler?  What about for the guides on this trip? Did you need any cash once you left Quito?

Lastly (for now😉) how dressy were people for dinner? I know no shorts or jeans, but would khakis and a polo for my husband and a sundress for me be appropriate.

Thanks for answering my questions. We are so very excited!!!

As long as you are a good swimmer, the snorkeling isn't hard. Seas got choppy, but the shorty wetsuit gives you a little extra buoyancy which helped.  But do as many/much as you can, is my best advice.  Sign up for everything you can fit in!!! There is time for sleep when you get home....

We've been in South America since February, so we carry a little bit of cash everywhere we go. 

DH wore trousers and a long sleeved shirt and a sweater.  Yes, we saw polos.  Mainly he wore the long sleeves because it was chilly by dinner time ( 7:30 or 7:45). A couple of men did wear a jacket to dinner.  I don't think I saw any ties.  I wore black flare cropped trousers and a blouse.  I also wore a knee length black cotton dress, which is my only dress.

We are permanent nomads, so we don't carry any real "dress-up" clothes in our one suitcase each. 

• Like 1