Toiletries in cabin

excited balcony

The last time we were on the Paul Gauguin in September of 2019, they had gone from upscale toiletries in small bottles to large containers mounted on the wall that were refilled with something of unknown origin. I expect that we'll have the same on our cruise in January.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

They still have large pump bottles on the wall in the shower, shampoo, conditioner and shower gel, and on the bathroom sink. Supposedly the same French brand they use and sell in the spa, but I have my doubts. I was fine with it, my wife always brings her own. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I just checked and confirmed the brand is Algotherm. Im happy they no longerbuse individual toilitries, but I only use cruelty free and the reources I use (primarily Leaping Bunny) indicate Algotherm is not cruelty free - I'll be bringing my own.

• Like 2

To get back to the original question, could anyone comment on the quality of the shampoo and conditioner please?  I need quality products for my long coloured hair otherwise it might look parched. Are there any ladies among you who also rely on good hair products?  If so, please let me know how you got on with the products on PG.

1 hour ago, mermaid 285 said:

To get back to the original question, could anyone comment on the quality of the shampoo and conditioner please?  I need quality products for my long coloured hair otherwise it might look parched. Are there any ladies among you who also rely on good hair products?  If so, please let me know how you got on with the products on PG.

I think hair product quality is kinda in the eye of the beholder. It depends on what your particular hair needs. According to skjoen the brand is Algotherm, and if you look at the prices of Algotherm products on Amazon, they are not cheap! But that doesn't mean they will be right for your hair.

I don't see the problem with bringing your own...there's certainly no restriction on the PG to bring your own hair products. If your hair is particularly sensitive to products that aren't right for it, then you definitely should bring your own. I assume you'll be checking luggage, so you won't have to worry about carrying on liquids.

15 minutes ago, Leejnd4 said:

I think hair product quality is kinda in the eye of the beholder. It depends on what your particular hair needs. According to skjoen the brand is Algotherm, and if you look at the prices of Algotherm products on Amazon, they are not cheap! But that doesn't mean they will be right for your hair.

I don't see the problem with bringing your own...there's certainly no restriction on the PG to bring your own hair products. If your hair is particularly sensitive to products that aren't right for it, then you definitely should bring your own. I assume you'll be checking luggage, so you won't have to worry about carrying on liquids.

I would rather not have to bring my own (my husband always complains like mad that I bring too much stuff, LOL! I'm only trying to find out what the general consensus is on the shampoo and conditioner so that I can be certain they are decent products in the general opinion, i.e. of equal quality to what Paul Gauguin used to offer in the past  such as Aqua di Parma or L'Occitane. 

5 hours ago, mermaid 285 said:

I would rather not have to bring my own (my husband always complains like mad that I bring too much stuff, LOL! I'm only trying to find out what the general consensus is on the shampoo and conditioner so that I can be certain they are decent products in the general opinion, i.e. of equal quality to what Paul Gauguin used to offer in the past  such as Aqua di Parma or L'Occitane. 

I'd say bring your own stuff, even my husband and kid wouldn't use it, certainly not of the caliber of Aqua di Parma or L'Occitane. All the swimming and Sun is going to strip that color right out of your hair so you might want to take your own products. The bath gel is okay, I only used the hand soap from the things provided. Also, there are no bars of soap, if you like that. There are very nice vanity kits, with nail file, Q-tips and cotton pads, sewing kit, hair bonnet. Lots of storage, one power outlet in the bathroom above the mirror. There's a standalone magnifying mirror on the desk, slippers in the closet, along with bathrobes and umbrella. I brought magnetic hooks for the walls that I got on Amazon, so we wouldn't run out of room for hanging wet clothes, even though there is a small clothes line along the back of the bathtub.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mermaid 285 said:

Thanks TheDarkestBlue, it seems their toiletries have gone a bit downmarket then. That's a real shame!  Looks like I will have a complaining husband then, because I never travel light! 🤣

I'm an overpacker too, and my husband never lets me forget it as we trudge through the airport, LOL. I brought way too much stuff this time because of visiting two climates, San Francisco on the way over and for a couple days on the end - it felt funny to put on pants 🧜🏻‍♀️

I have come to put some of the toiletries and sunscreen that I can replace in my checked luggage, in ziploc freezer baggies, keeping the important items (hair and skin stuff) in my carry-on. After washing my hair three times in the first two days, I started using my conditioner as co-wash and it worked pretty well (I have shoulder length curly hair)

https://www.bumbleandbumble.com/product/19048/80484/care/conditioners/curl-3-in-1-conditioner?gad=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7uSkBhDGARIsAMCZNJt-qLD2jo4JkkVS2Pg95JZFab-IESubRAhhJDWayPqdv7NIp0wV-YYaAluUEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#/sku/122626

The good news was that I didn't have to take my liquids out at TSA in any of the airports we came through, Newark, San Francisco and Tahiti. 

• Like 2

On 6/24/2023 at 10:07 AM, sjkoen said:

I just checked and confirmed the brand is Algotherm. Im happy they no longerbuse individual toilitries, but I only use cruelty free and the reources I use (primarily Leaping Bunny) indicate Algotherm is not cruelty free - I'll be bringing my own.

We are the same. Thank you for this info. 

3 hours ago, mermaid 285 said:

Thanks TheDarkestBlue, it seems their toiletries have gone a bit downmarket then. That's a real shame!  Looks like I will have a complaining husband then, because I never travel light! 🤣

2 hours ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

I'm an overpacker too, and my husband never lets me forget it as we trudge through the airport, LOL. I brought way too much stuff this time because of visiting two climates, San Francisco on the way over and for a couple days on the end - it felt funny to put on pants 🧜🏻‍♀️

Looks like we got three over packers here...I'm TERRIBLE at packing light! My husband subscribes to the "pack for one week no matter how long you are going for" theory, which assumes that you will always be able to get laundry done at least once a week. But I find that way too limiting. I need OPTIONS! Plus, I'm a runner - I run a few miles most mornings - so I need to basically bring two wardrobes, one for running and one for wearing. It's a struggle!

I remember those wonderful L'Occitane products that were on the PG, and I'm bummed they aren't still using them. But I cut my hair short and let the grey grow out a few years ago, so my hair is pretty forgiving to products. I'm going to leave mine home and hope the Algotherm stuff doesn't make my hair fall out! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mermaid 285 said:

Is there anyone on here who actually likes the new toiletries and has something positive to say (about their shampoo and conditioner)?

I had not checked out the products before I went, so my opinion is based on how it left my colored hair feeling that first day before I unpacked. Looking online, they appear well made and seemingly eco-friendly, according to the website. 

The problem with name brand products like this is that they are changeable from a product you might find on the shelf from that manufacturer. For instance, the amenities pouch I got on the airplane from United contained Sunday Riley products, they are a very expensive line, turned the tube of hand creme over and it was manufactured in China, and the lotion felt like nothing special. 

>>>When I asked Sunday Riley where their products are manufactured, they told me: “All of our products are manufactured in the US. We are based out of Houston, Tx."

Here's some info on the company PG uses for the Algotherm hotel line amenities and large format bottles:

https://www.groupegm.com/en/hotel-supplies-amenities-algotherm-1-en.html

https://www.groupegm.com/en/distributeurs-448-en.html

cat_algotherm_eng_fr.pdf

Edited by TheDarkestBlue