Escape Drydock - September 2022

Ixtoras

On 9/27/2022 at 8:44 PM, Captshinn said:

FWIW this is what I see on the site and in the NCL app. Deck 18 still has mini golf and the sports complex is on Deck 19 with a new bocce ball court.

That's good. We always play a few rounds.... always a challenge on a moving ship. NCL has removed minigolf from at least one ship. And somewhere I read it was being made into a for-fee activity on another ship. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

And somewhere I read it was being made into a for-fee activity on another ship. 

Prima.  I haven't looked at recent reviews of it but some initial peeks seem to be a game similar to what the Putt Shack offers on land, a little more advanced than seen on previous ships and possibly having to be licensed from them (costing money).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hallux said:

Prima.  I haven't looked at recent reviews of it but some initial peeks seem to be a game similar to what the Putt Shack offers on land, a little more advanced than seen on previous ships and possibly having to be licensed from them (costing money).

Yeah... I didn't want to mention ship names until I could verify the facts about it. We're on the Prima in a couple of weeks from now, so I'll check it out. And maybe play around of super minigolf!

From my perspective, it is not hard to be advanced that other NCL ships... which are pretty plain and simple. We play minigolf on Royal ships where they at least try to make it a bit interesting and challenging. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

On 9/6/2022 at 3:30 PM, schmoopie17 said:

This is essentially a special drydock to make repairs to damages incurred when it hit something several weeks ago. As far as I know, there aren't plans for anything else to be changed.

I booked a 2024 cruise on the escape this year and was told it was having a refurb. Not sure what though. 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 5:51 AM, Jmustang67 said:

the Escape as of today 

And as of Friday 10/7, 3:30PM PDT.  Looks like the upgrades to the crew bar area are complete - must be testing out the black lights and disco ball.

I'm guessing that we should see some activity in the next couple of days.   Believe she's due to be in Civitavecchia on 10/12 for her first post dry-dock cruise. So far, I haven't heard of any issues/notifications for that cruise.

I'd guess that they'd re-float/launch? her by Monday to give her a day or two to get over to the port. 

image.thumb.png.dc0739896f0e72182b3c1cb4352e7254.png

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

They must have really upgraded the propulsion system to make that time table.  9100 miles in 5 days.

Is it really that far from Marseille to Civitavecchia? She took 19 hours 0 minutes to sail from Civitavecchia to Marseille on September 12th. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Is it really that far from Marseille to Civitavecchia? She took 19 hours 0 minutes to sail from Civitavecchia to Marseille on September 12th. 

Sorry, brain fart, was thinking Portland dry dock.  Don't know why.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

There's a Princess ship in Portland right now.  Can Portland handle getting a ship this size out of the water?

Dry Dock.pdf

22 minutes ago, Captshinn said:

This might be a dumb question but will they have to do any minor sea trials after completing hull and propulsion repairs? Maybe they can do them on the way to Rome. 

Yeah I thought the same thing i just checked cruise mapper and it is still in dry dock in Marsielle as at today. Not sure how long it will take to get to Rome for the 12th Oct cruise

Edited by petay63
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Captshinn said:

This might be a dumb question but will they have to do any minor sea trials after completing hull and propulsion repairs? Maybe they can do them on the way to Rome. 

Don't know about true "sea trials". 

A while back, we were on the first cruise after the Epic was in dry dock. During that dry dock, they opened the hull and replaced two of the engines. During our cruise, we were "treated" to a few trials. In one port, we spent a couple of hours doing very slow 360s in the bay (turning in place) to reset the ship's magnetic compass (because of the significant change in the amount of metal in the engine room. And one night during dinner (as we were leaving another port). They did a couple of full acceleration starts (o.k.) and a couple of emergency stops (not so much).... with the vibration/cavitation from the propellers switching into reverse shaking dishes and wine glasses on the table (we were dining in Manhattan Room right over the props).

• Thanks 1

On 10/7/2022 at 7:22 PM, chengkp75 said:

Question: with the old locks, the Escape, Breakaway, and Getaway were too big to go through the Panama Canal. Can they go through the new locks?  

8 hours ago, petay63 said:

There is water being put into the dry dock as we speak just saw it on bridge cam 🙂

Yup, looks like things are on schedule.  Was just swinging by to post this.  But yall beat me to it...  and what is that in your post, one of the lifeboats in the water?  Nice.

image.thumb.png.8a6c54b6d0ea0b6ef2e4eab77f84ccbb.png

• Thanks 1