How is the bidding system doing? Any comments?

Bwana Tom

1 hour ago, pompeii said:

Yes, thank you.  As mentioned, I've also received that email and that's what I've been using to access my existing bids.

It would appear from the responses that there is no place on the personalizer to simply see your existing bids, like you can with your payment amounts or obc, etc.  Instead, at this point you have to either use the email link or re-enter your name and booking number.  Maybe it's because the bidding process is handled by Plusgrade and not Princess.  Thanks for confirming. 

I bet you're on to something with the idea that it's handled by Plusgrade and not Princess. 

• Like 1

I am asking this question for a friend.

For her cruise coming up in a month, she currently has a mid-ship balcony on Diamond Princess.  She put in 2 bids; one for mini suite, and one for Club class mini suite.  If she gets lucky and Princess notifies her of accepting her mini suite bid, does she then need to go to her booking to cancel the Club class mini suite bid?  She said she really prefers the regular mini suite over the Club class, because she wants to eat with her friends (in regular mini suites).  The reason she placed 2 bids is to increase her chance of getting a mini suite.  So if her bid for the mini suite is accepted, she doesn't want to take a chance later on Princess might accept her Club class bid.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:
I am asking this question for a friend.

For her cruise coming up in a month, she currently has a mid-ship balcony on Diamond Princess.  She put in 2 bids; one for mini suite, and one for Club class mini suite.  If she gets lucky and Princess notifies her of accepting her mini suite bid, does she then need to go to her booking to cancel the Club class mini suite bid?  She said she really prefers the regular mini suite over the Club class, because she wants to eat with her friends (in regular mini suites).  The reason she placed 2 bids is to increase her chance of getting a mini suite.  So if her bid for the mini suite is accepted, she doesn't want to take a chance later on Princess might accept her Club class bid.

whichever bid (if any) is accepted first will automatically cancel any other bids she made. Once a bid is accepted it cannot be “undone”. The card is immediately charged and the cabin change is permanent. If she is awarded a Club Class mini does not wish to dine in the Club Class seating area she does not have to. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

whichever bid (if any) is accepted first will automatically cancel any other bids she made. Once a bid is accepted it cannot be “undone”. The card is immediately charged and the cabin change is permanent. If she is awarded a Club Class mini does not wish to dine in the Club Class seating area she does not have to. 

That is nice to know.  Thank you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Prost Seattle said:

I assume that if the categories above me are currently sold out the only way I’d win an upgrade would be if there were a last minute cancellation. 

I'm not convinced that what we see on Princess.com is the total availability all the time. So if someone above you gets an offer above them which opens up one above you. All move up one game! LOL!

Edited by Mary Ann 2
  • Thanks 1

There could be cabins that are blocked for a group or for large travel companies that will become available as well as last minute cancellations & upgrades.  If they offered an upgrade option then you can bid.  You might not get the upgrade for many reasons but if you don't bid you probably won't get upgraded (the fairy still gives upgrades sometimes).

• Like 4

I had booked a guaranteed mini suite. It was a great offer $1000 total for husband and I. I placed a bid on 3 upgrades, reserve mini suite at the front of the ship with the huge balcony, I bid $175 each, it was probably $50 over minimum. I also put in a bid for a premium suite at $475 each, and then a bid of $535 each for a penthouse suite. Those 2 bid were maybe $10 over the minimum. I won the bid for the penthouse suite. When I checked, there were still suites available for the premium suites, so I think they give you the higher one you bid for if available.  I did add on the plus fare, so basically we are in a suite for 1/2 the cost, so I’m happy. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

My bid for balcony to mini suite was accepted about 2 weeks ago.  I have friends in different cabins who bid for mini suite and Reserve Collection mini suite, and today they got their acceptance email that Princess accepted their Reserve Collection mini suite bids.  If possible, we would like to eat together, so I am thinking of putting in a bid from my mini suite to RC mini suite.  I log in to my Princess account and went to my booking, and click on "Upgrade bid" on the screen.  And the screen returned with "Upgraded to mini suite".  Is it not possible to bid for higher category once you already received the bid acceptance for one time?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

My bid for balcony to mini suite was accepted about 2 weeks ago.  I have friends in different cabins who bid for mini suite and Reserve Collection mini suite, and today they got their acceptance email that Princess accepted their Reserve Collection mini suite bids.  If possible, we would like to eat together, so I am thinking of putting in a bid from my mini suite to RC mini suite.  I log in to my Princess account and went to my booking, and click on "Upgrade bid" on the screen.  And the screen returned with "Upgraded to mini suite".  Is it not possible to bid for higher category once you already received the bid acceptance for one time?

No. Once you have won an upgrade  that's it. 

Edited by 1cruiselvr
  • Thanks 1

On 8/24/2023 at 3:33 PM, rocker57 said:

I had booked a guaranteed mini suite. It was a great offer $1000 total for husband and I. I placed a bid on 3 upgrades, reserve mini suite at the front of the ship with the huge balcony, I bid $175 each, it was probably $50 over minimum. I also put in a bid for a premium suite at $475 each, and then a bid of $535 each for a penthouse suite. Those 2 bid were maybe $10 over the minimum. I won the bid for the penthouse suite. When I checked, there were still suites available for the premium suites, so I think they give you the higher one you bid for if available.  I did add on the plus fare, so basically we are in a suite for 1/2 the cost, so I’m happy. 

Congrats on the suite!!

Can I asked how far out you bid and how close to sailing you found out that your bid was accepted?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Congrats on the suite!!

Can I asked how far out you bid and how close to sailing you found out that your bid was accepted?

It is for a cruise Sept. 26. I bid in July just after I booked as I was less than 60 days out. I found out about 2 weeks ago. The cruise isn’t sold out, so I did figure I’d get my bid. Glad to find out now, not a couple of days before cruise

• Like 3

I'm in a mini-suite.  I am 85 days out today, and the bidding can begin (and already has, for me!).

I am interested in a Club Class Mini Suite - Forward Facing, and a Penthouse Suite Aft Facing.  (And really nothing inbetween.)

Any logic to apply on how to bid on either?  I'd probably rather be in the Penthouse if there is any strategy to be had.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, photomikey said:

I'm in a mini-suite.  I am 85 days out today, and the bidding can begin (and already has, for me!).

I am interested in a Club Class Mini Suite - Forward Facing, and a Penthouse Suite Aft Facing.  (And really nothing inbetween.)

Any logic to apply on how to bid on either?  I'd probably rather be in the Penthouse if there is any strategy to be had.

There is no strategy. Bid on both is my suggestion. It's up to the cruiseline to decide. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/27/2023 at 2:25 AM, photomikey said:

Good luck!!!

Some gamblers us lucky charms or amulets to help bring on their good fortune. Some suggest rubbing it helps, too! Bid high!

image.jpeg.fb40c1fb02ebe9ab399e24a0c0d083f9.jpeg

3 hours ago, Sue sue sue said:

Ok, so we’ve bid for upgrades on our November 14 day cruise…..

Do they always leave it to the last minute before they tell you if you’ve been accepted? 
Do they ever tell you beforehand? 

I believe word can come in anytime. I would imagine the fuller the capacity the more "last minute" the notification. I put in my bids in two weeks ago for a B2B in Australia coming up 10/21-10/28 and I haven't heard anything yet.

Surprised today to find out my bid on penthouse suite was accepted. The ship has been sold out for weeks except for inside cabins. I bid the absolute minimum allowed. Unless someone in a suite canceled last minute (we departed in less than 2 weeks) AND no one placed a higher bid I assumed I wouldn’t be successful! We got the suite at about 50% off, so a great deal 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Carla3 said:

Surprised today to find out my bid on penthouse suite was accepted. The ship has been sold out for weeks except for inside cabins. I bid the absolute minimum allowed. Unless someone in a suite canceled last minute (we departed in less than 2 weeks) AND no one placed a higher bid I assumed I wouldn’t be successful! We got the suite at about 50% off, so a great deal 

Congrats!!!  A penthouse suite is a dream experience which I hope to be as lucky as you some day!  Enjoy!!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Yowman said:

Just got notified of successful bid on a Vista Suite for Sep 30 sailing.  Woot! Woot!

Congrats!!!  I'm hoping to be able to give a Woot! Woot! if Princess smiles upon my bids for upcoming B2B October 21-28.  Enjoy the Vista Suite.  Where are you sailing???

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HiCCCs said:

Congrats!!!  I'm hoping to be able to give a Woot! Woot! if Princess smiles upon my bids for upcoming B2B October 21-28.  Enjoy the Vista Suite.  Where are you sailing???

Barcelona to Athens

• Like 2