What is your solution to overpacking?

spleenstomper

5 hours ago, mexico8 said:

We will have the free laundry on our next cruise.   My concern is sending clothing that will shrink in the dryer.   Is there any way to request a 'COOL"  setting for certain clothing I send to the laundry on the ship?  A lot of my stuff is cotton and it will shrink in the dryer if it's a  hot  dryer setting.   I hang laundry outside on a clothes line at home - rarely use the dryer.

A number of our 4* and 5* Mariners have said on CC that writing in WARM or COOL (wash and/or dry) actually does work. I have not heard of requesting "Air Dry", nor is it reasonable to ask for laundry to be returned wet on hangers! But take some of your more disposable cottons and give "cool" a try!

I wouldn't take anything that would be a heart-breaking disaster to lose, on a cruise, anyway. Remember that the dry-cleaning is comparable in price to city cleaners for anything TOO delicate. I would send my husband's guayabera shirt for dry-cleaning, even though I wash it (cool) and hang dry at home, for example.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rslinky said:

I have never once overpacked!   I have, however, come home  with unworn options!

If I come home with more than one garment (per person) unworn, I consider my system to have failed. Not counting raingear if it didn't rain, but I do count the three down-vests to Cape Horn, that simply were not necessary. After all, it was THEIR summer and I should have been able to research that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, crystalspin said:

A number of our 4* and 5* Mariners have said on CC that writing in WARM or COOL (wash and/or dry) actually does work. I have not heard of requesting "Air Dry", nor is it reasonable to ask for laundry to be returned wet on hangers! But take some of your more disposable cottons and give "cool" a try!

I wouldn't take anything that would be a heart-breaking disaster to lose, on a cruise, anyway. Remember that the dry-cleaning is comparable in price to city cleaners for anything TOO delicate. I would send my husband's guayabera shirt for dry-cleaning, even though I wash it (cool) and hang dry at home, for example.

That's great news.  Thank you.   I will definitely write that on the laundry sheet.  I was quite worried and now I will not be afraid to send my stuff.   Good advice about using the dry cleaning as well.

• Like 1

A few days before our inside passage sailing I found an $11 puff vest at Costco. It was by far the most utilized article of clothing I brought.  It seemed to me to be a very popular vest that so many folks had, made me wonder if every one got theirs at Costco too.   Right before heading to dinner one eve I got something on my dressy top and had to put water on it.  Threw on my silver puff vest and it looked pretty cool.   The vest was the most versatile:  One day I wore it over a hoodie and another under my jacket and it perfectly did the job when worn with over acotton turtleneck layered with a long sleeved T-shirt.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Losnab said:

A few days before our inside passage sailing I found an $11 puff vest at Costco. It was by far the most utilized article of clothing I brought.  It seemed to me to be a very popular vest that so many folks had, made me wonder if every one got theirs at Costco too.   Right before heading to dinner one eve I got something on my dressy top and had to put water on it.  Threw on my silver puff vest and it looked pretty cool.   The vest was the most versatile:  One day I wore it over a hoodie and another under my jacket and it perfectly did the job when worn with over acotton turtleneck layered with a long sleeved T-shirt.  

I have them in two different colors. Bought in 2019. By far the most useful piece of clothing I own!! Tempted to buy one more, they are on sale again. 
Cheers, Denise

On 9/7/2022 at 2:29 PM, spleenstomper said:

Ok thank you all. I’m going to start this edit by removing one pair of boots. Which would you keep (obviously late season, rain forecasted)? I have no excursions booked yet because I just booked this cruise!

On the left, lighter but less waterproof (more like weather proof maybe)

on the right, heavier but 100% waterproof with a fuzzy lining inside, 

thanks!

8DBECCE0-F787-4738-8F77-84B269C09BED.jpeg

Lefty is cuter but you won't care if your feet are cold and damp! Definitely bring righty. Stuff with a couple pairs of your thickest socks and you'll be fine. (4 pairs of heavy socks if not using laundry service)

• Like 1

Ok. Im back.

my luggage was 51.5 pounds upon check in, but Alaska let it slide. On the way home, I checked 2 bags and still had my purse, Cpap and carry on. It was ridiculous and I was frustrated with myself. 

We had some rainy days, but many sunny days. I had blisters from walking in Seattle before hand and it wasn’t until Ketchikan when I found moleskin. The blisters popped on day 1 of the cruise, so I only used my tennis shoes the whole trip! 

I also didn’t use my puffy vest, my corduroy pants and my trench coat, the two pair of shoes and my travel umbrella. 

I should have gotten laundry service and next time I will. Everyone raved about it and their clothes came back the same day or next morning. I didn’t hear one complaint about it. 

I’m leaving in 2 weeks to visit my sister in NorCal for a week and a half, so I’m going to do better this time. I also think I’m going to buy the smallest carry on to put my Cpap in because that is always a PITA. 

• Like 2

On 9/10/2022 at 7:17 AM, Losnab said:

I think I could use a smaller soft (like thinsulate) vest.

Thanks for the follow up.  The jacket issue is why I am such a big fan of thermals either in modern wool or others brag about the silk and stockings.  I find I can get by very well with those thin layers only needing an outer rain type jacket or heavy windbreaker.  

Thinking about your moleskin issue - it would have been easier to buy it onshore than lose it in your luggage.  Our motto is have credit card will travel.  I have bought sweaters in thrift shops in Iceland and re-donated them when I left! I left my old tennis shoes behind in the last hotel room last week.

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Thinking about your moleskin issue - it would have been easier to buy it onshore than lose it in your luggage.  Our motto is have credit card will travel.

OTOH, putting one 'sheet' of moleskin permanently in the skinny inside pocket of my (only) 21" bag adds little weight or bulk. Sometimes searching for things you didn't bring can be fun (thrift shops in Iceland? sign me up!), but sometimes combing store after store takes away from the fun (ShoeGoo in Ketchikan for us). Of course you can't plan for everything with carryon only...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, crystalspin said:

OTOH, putting one 'sheet' of moleskin permanently in the skinny inside pocket of my (only) 21" bag adds little weight or bulk. Sometimes searching for things you didn't bring can be fun (thrift shops in Iceland? sign me up!), but sometimes combing store after store takes away from the fun (ShoeGoo in Ketchikan for us). Of course you can't plan for everything with carryon only...

I have a lot of those singles in my everyday wallet - a single bandaid, safety pins, etc….  

• Like 2

On 9/9/2022 at 12:16 AM, crystalspin said:

I have not heard of requesting "Air Dry", nor is it reasonable to ask for laundry to be returned wet on hangers! But take some of your more disposable cottons and give "cool" a try!

When we ask that our good clothing be "air dried", it does not come back wet on hangers, but completely dry a day later than usual as more drying time is needed.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2