Carnival Pride 10-day cruise to (Pompeii), (Mt. Etna), Mykonos, Santorini, Athens, Olympia, Turkey, plus train around Italy

IntrepidFromDC

2 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Beautiful pics of a beautiful city!  Does the 5 inches of water happen in the fall/winter?  TIA!

No idea, but they have a name for it I can't recall,  it's something about when Adriatic Sea high tide mixes with some other condition that causes the flooding of the city. They are predicting it will happen again around midnight. 

3 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

No idea, but they have a name for it I can't recall,  it's something about when Adriatic Sea high tide mixes with some other condition that causes the flooding of the city. They are predicting it will happen again around midnight. 

Interesting!  Is the water all over Venice or are people able to walk around without boots in some places?  Thx!!

I didn't mean to sound like Chicken Little!  (then again,  he WAS right). St. Mark's and areas bordering the Canale Grande were impassable without boots, unless they placed the elevated walkways in place,  like for the line to get inside Basilica San Marco and Palazzo Ducale.  Other areas you could tiptoe your way around the water. Anyway,  there are always parts of Venice that don't flood during high water.  I love this city without cars. Walking or by boat are the only ways to get around.  No annoying mopeds, no bikes. But lots of stairs, every time you cross a canal you have stairs up one side of the small bridge and down the other side. The streets have completely dried out but high tide is coming in 4 hours. 

Edited by IntrepidFromDC
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm starting my walking tour in an hour but the local, cheap but delicious, red wine is taking the edge off so the historical and cultural knowledge transfer from the guide may not make its way here.  I'll do my best but I'm about one glass away to switching to rum and talking like a pirate.  I don't want to walk the Bridge of Sighs. 🥴 🏴‍☠️

Dinner tonight...

Screenshot_20220928-150718_Chrome.jpg

20220928_124513.jpg

20220928_124621.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 9/12/2022 at 2:48 PM, IntrepidFromDC said:

I did capture some pics and videos as we approached the narrow channel between the tip of the toe of the boot and Sicily.  They are closer than you would think from looking at a global map.  Here you can see the yellow ferry leaving the toe of the boot. 

20220912_163627.jpg

That's cool!

• Like 1