Would like help comparing NCL ships....

seasprite

Hi everyone,

After hours reading the boards and looking at pros and cons of various NCL ships, I am getting more confused by the moment. I love to cruise and never have failed to have a great time...but I am in the process of planning my next cruise, and this time I have some definite expectations. I'm hoping you can help me sort things out. Please, don't let this become a negative thread or debate. I know how loyal everyone can be to their individual ships or vehement about their unpleasant experiences. I don't want this to turn into a unpleasant discussion. We all have different expectations and priorities and as far as I'm concerned, none them are right or wrong! I'm just looking for input to help make my individual decision...this is the greatest cruising group on the web and I appreciate all input!

Here's the situation....I have sailed on the Dawn twice over the last two years (both in late Oct.) and both experiences were fabulous (they have been my only NCL cruises so far). The first was with my sister and the last with the women in-laws of the family. The next cruise will finally be with my husband once again! He was unable to make the last two trips because of commitments at home, caring for our ill son. After my last cruise, I surprised him and purchased a gold rewards certificate toward a cruise for the two of us (it really was a surprise, since it wasn't exactly in the budget! lol) I really want this to be special for him, as he has heard me go on and on about my last two cruises for years now! I've raved about freestyle cruising and the Dawn and how it has topped all of our other cruise experiences (at this point I am "addicted" to NCL's cruisestyle!), and I don't want him to be disappointed. He has also heard lots about the cruise critic meet-up on board and how great everyone was. I'm sort of worried that the other Norwegian ships might not "measure up" to the Dawn experience for me.

It would probably be helpful to let you know some of the things I found particularly appealing about the Dawn besides the freestyle cruising....I loved her size, style, and variety...both in entertainment, passenger composition and restaurant choice. There was truly something for everyone. I especially enjoyed the main shows with the Jean Ann Ryan group and the Cirque show and found them to be really top-notch. Second City (including their workshops!), the comedy show and Dr. Trance were great fun, parties with the cruise staff were a riot, lounge singers entertaining, passengers were friendly, and the chocoholic buffet MMMMM! I thoroughly enjoyed every moment, whether it was a planned ship or shore activity or relaxing aboard ship with a library book. I loved the fact that I could always find a quiet, peaceful spot to enjoy the sun on deck...even though there were 2000 plus passengers aboard, I could find solitude. Normally I am somewhat shy, but on the last cruise I found myself onstage twice, enjoying the "Mystery Dinner" with new acquaintances and going on cruise excursions by myself (and meeting lots of friendly people along the way). My last cruise was the 10 day one and I loved it, compared to a 7 day. It felt like I relaxed more completely and was more ready to return home. Both itineraries were enjoyable (I can have fun anywhere with the ocean and the sun!) but my favorite was the 10 day Eastern Caribbean so far. Here are some of my questions...

-- How much of what I experienced onboard is influenced by the ship being from NYC? Are the large variety of choices and personalities aboard part of the "NYC experience" or is this NCL?

-- I have read about the Spirit, which is also out of NY, but I know she is a slightly smaller ship. For those of you who have sailed on her (and perhaps the Dawn as well), how does this affect your experience? Are the main shows still top quality? Don't get me wrong....I have enjoyed past cruises on SMALL ships as well (even the Big Red Boat lol), but want this one to be more classy. Does the whole East-West conversion thing make any difference in the atmosphere? How were the staterooms?

--The Jewel sounds practically identical to the Dawn, except that she leaves from Miami. How do you think she compares?

--At this point, I am probably not considering the Majesty, since she is considerably smaller and others have commented that her shows are much less elaborate. I really have enjoyed the broadway type shows and special effects on the Dawn and am looking for a similar experience. Do you think I am misinformed?

--Should I consider the Sun as well?

--I am probably going to need to limit my choices to East Coast ships, because of the cost of airfare from NY (I'd like to keep costs down if I can). Are there any other NCL ships you think would fit my needs?

By now you are all probably wondering, "Why doesn't she just go on the Dawn again if she likes it so much??" Well, in answer to that question, I may lol. But I always like to look at every option before making any decision. Believe it or not, I do have an open mind about changing ships...I was one who could NEVER imagine sailing on the same ship twice, as I like variety! But it just so happened that the Dawn had the perfect timing, price and itinerary for both of my past trips, so I jumped on it. My sister and my in-laws didn't particularly want to fly, so NYC was convenient. The itineraries were different both times (7 day and 10 day) and I was not at all sorry to repeat the Dawn. This time I am more open to the timing (we are retired) and we don't mind flying or a longer trip. Cost is still a consideration (I always look for bargains lol).

As always, I look forward to reading everyone's suggestions and comments. Maybe I'll even see some of you onboard my next NCL cruise! Thanks!

I especially enjoyed the main shows with the Jean Ann Ryan group and the Cirque show and found them to be really top-notch.

I saw some truly incredible Jean Ann Ryan shows on the maiden voyage of NCL star, and it was a major factor in how we felt about the cruise overall. It made all the other shows I have seen on cruiseships look like the gong show in comparison, sadly including my last NCL cruise... I really wish I knew how to find out which cruises had the great shows. :) Would be a great aid in picking better cruises.

New York seems most competitive with several lines putting their newest ships there, so it doesn't surprise me that their best shows are there too. Maybe the cruises out of New York really are better... You might also just feel better about cruising there because it is such a great port to start from too.

If you're set on doing Norwegian again, the 10-13 day southern caribbean itineraries look nice. I don't know how the spirit is though. This one looks awesome, i like the 11 day Southern Carribean itineraries listed for the Dawn --

Norwegian Dawn February 18

11 Night SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN

Departing from New York, New York

New York, New York| St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands | St. Johns, Antigua | Bridgetown, Barbados | St. Georges, Grenada, West Indies | Roseau, Dominica | Road Town, Tortola, B.V.I.

This is toooo funny, Mike. Just before you posted your reply, I was looking at the exact same cruise you e-mailed me about. It does look wonderful! Does anyone out there have an answer for Mike or me about how the shows compare on the different NCL ships? It sounds like the Jewel has some pretty jazzy ones too....anyone know the difference between the Jean Ann Ryan productions and NCL productions? Thanks!

LOL, Mike! I was just reading some postings about the Jewel's entertainment...they have a Cirque show, but I don't know which group they have performing. Have you heard if they are Jean Ann Ryan, or is that just in NYC? They also have Second City, which I loved!

I have read about the Spirit, which is also out of NY, but I know she is a slightly smaller ship. For those of you who have sailed on her (and perhaps the Dawn as well), how does this affect your experience? Are the main shows still top quality? Don't get me wrong....I have enjoyed past cruises on SMALL ships as well (even the Big Red Boat lol), but want this one to be more classy. Does the whole East-West conversion thing make any difference in the atmosphere? How were the staterooms?

I found the SPIRIT to be very classy in my opinion. It is a beautiful ship, I think there is little argument about that. The SPIRIT is one of few ships with a teak promenade that encircles the whole ship, a wonderful stroll. I think the Eastern touches are nice and often a nice surprise. I thought the shows were pretty good (I did miss one of the 3)... I really loved "Standing Room Only" as I enjoy Broadway. I never felt that the ship was small there always seemed to be places to be alone if you chose to, or at a big party. You can see my pictures linked below in my signature.

11 Night SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN

Departing from New York, New York

New York, New York| St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands | St. Johns, Antigua | Bridgetown, Barbados | St. Georges, Grenada, West Indies | Roseau, Dominica | Road Town, Tortola, B.V.I.

This happens to be the same itinerary we just did on the SPIRIT! I really enjoyed the islands - it was a great trip... I too am considering this trip on the DAWN since I havent been on the DAWN and I liked the itinerary so much...

~Intrepid

Thanks, Intrepid. I enjoyed your pictures, especially the closeup of the painting outside the ship. It was good to hear that you thought highly of the Spirit, and I will take another look at her intineraries. Happy sailing!!

Both the Spirt and Dawn should fit your needs of having a great cruise.

You'll find the Spirit's shows are not as good as the Dawn. There are only eight Jean Ann Ryan troupes at sea on different cruise lines, and only three or four of those are on NCL ships. The Dawn, Sun, Star, and possibly the Jewel are the lucky ones from what I read. The other NCL ships have show dancers too, but more like Las Vegas floor shows than Broadway quality. That doesn't mean they are awful, just not as good.

Likewise, the food is deteriorating, from what I read, on all NCL ships. I don't think you'll find many differences in the quality of the food, but asince the Dawen is slightly larger, to be specific 18.5% larger, there's room for more restaurants and more choices. The Dawn has only one more restaurant than the Spirit. Otherwise, the Spirit is just as good as the Dawn, and better at some other things.

The decor of the Spirit is awsome to see. There are none like it in North America cruise market. It's unique. The public places are large enough to please passengers who have sailed on larger cruise ships. But there is a downside for being built for the Asian market, the private cabins and furniture are slightly smaller, but not uncomfortably so. The furniture does it's job supporting you while relaxing in style.

NCL only profited $20 million from last year, yet spent more than that on higher fuel costs, and started paying off the loans on two brand new ships. Either fares have to go up, or other things must go up to maintain a profit.

It appears NCL has decided to cut some programs, and charge more on others. But that's life after all.

I don't think you'll be happy with the Crown as a choice for a first cruise on NCL for your husband. You've been spoiled by the Dawn, and will expect more than it can deliver. Your disappointment will effect him. As a second cruise, knowing not to expect as much from the ship, and you wish to cruise to Bermuda, it will do.

Have a great cruise, no matter which ship from New York you choose.

I loved the Spirit. My position on the food (excellent), the ship itself (beautiful decor, easy to navigate layout), crew (incredible) and vibe (great) are well known on this site. The shows were not great (last year anyway), but I don't think I am really into cruise ship shows. The bands were very good, however, none of them are still on the ship- so I don't know how helpful my opinion is. The singers in the lounges and Henry's Pub were great.

If you sail the Spirit you will totally love the vibe. Don't underestimate the positive impact of such beautiful surroundings. For a cruise ship the decor and design are elegant and restrained.

My real advice to you specifically is to go on a different ship than the Dawn with your DH. This way it will be a new experience for the both of you. This will cut down on the "You should have seen it last time, there was this great show... the buffet had more of this or that... the cabin was like this, but pretend the bed is on the other side and the chair was more like this..." You know what I mean! I am taking DH on his first cruise this month. Same ship as Mom and I took last year. He is really interested in reading the CC postings and looking at the pictures, but I will make an effort to bite my tongue and not try to spoon feed him the experience when we are on board. I am almost regretting not booking the Dawn for us for just this reason- I don't want to take away from his experience by overwhelming him with my impressions.

However, I really want him to see the Spirit. He is game for anything but I would definitely not throw him on a chaotic Farkus-designed Carnival ship like I took the kids on last summer. I trust the Spirit and I have no qualms about taking her again.

Here is the link to my review (March of '05). Hope it helps. I really appreciate your long, organized, well worded OP. Makes it easy to relate to you and your issues. Hopefully you will write a review when you get back. http://www.cruisereviews.com/NorwegianCruiseLine/NorwegianSpirit14.htm

Hi Carla and Ron,

Thank you both for taking the time to write such thoughtful responses. Ron, I am glad you wrote that I have been "spoiled" by the Dawn and to skip the Crown for this cruise. Since I do want it to be special for hubby and me, I was thinking the same thing.

Carla, I loved your review of the Spirit! And you are from Buffalo!!! My DH's family is from Niagara Falls and we live near Rochester. Small world! I had similar thoughts about comparing cruises on the Dawn and driving hubby nuts lol. On the Dawn trip last time with the "girls" I was comparing it to the year before. It certainly came out favorably...but after reading about the recent changes NCL is having to make, I might not feel that way this time. The Spirit sounds really elegant, and I think we would love her. My main concern about the Spirit is that the shows don't sound up to the Dawn quality. Since the shows are one of my top priorities, I hesitate to go on the Spirit for our first NCL together. I have been wondering about the Jewel...any thoughts on her, anyone!

Thanks again for all of your help! Happy cruising!

Hi Carla and Ron,

Thank you both for taking the time to write such thoughtful responses. Ron, I am glad you wrote that I have been "spoiled" by the Dawn and to skip the Crown for this cruise. Since I do want it to be special for hubby and me, I was thinking the same thing.

Carla, I loved your review of the Spirit! And you are from Buffalo!!! My DH's family is from Niagara Falls and we live near Rochester. Small world! I had similar thoughts about comparing cruises on the Dawn and driving hubby nuts lol. On the Dawn trip last time with the "girls" I was comparing it to the year before. It certainly came out favorably...but after reading about the recent changes NCL is having to make, I might not feel that way this time. The Spirit sounds really elegant, and I think we would love her. My main concern about the Spirit is that the shows don't sound up to the Dawn quality. Since the shows are one of my top priorities, I hesitate to go on the Spirit for our first NCL together. I have been wondering about the Jewel...any thoughts on her, anyone!

Thanks again for all of your help! Happy cruising!

I have not cruised on the Dawn but when on the Jewel many from the NY area were comparing the two ships. Probably most liked the Jewel a little better, but some found a few things about the Dawn more to their liking. I think, if it were me I would give the Jewel a try. She is beautiful and the crew is beyond outstanding. You memtioned the Sun, she is one of our personal favorites, but again, you want to impress hubby, the Sun is 4 plus years old, still new to most of us, but not as new as the Dawn and Jewel. One thing missing from the Jewel: no open high atrium with glass elevators. This doesn't faze me, but some were a little disappointed.

I think you are probably right about the Spirit. DD and I were going to take her next month and are disappointed we had to do the Sun but again, for what you are looking for the Spirit might not have quite worked. When I say we are disappointed, I only mean we would love to sail out of NYC and try a different ship, we are disappointed about the eastern route we will be cruising or disappointed to return to the Sun. NMnita

Thank you Nita....I also like the looks of the Sun and her being a little older wouldn't disappoint hubby or me. But when I checked on her itinerary, she is only doing the Eastern Caribbean for a little longer and it looks like next year she is only doing Western. She is actually my first choice, as I found some staterooms (even in lower categories) with gorgeous stern views! Wish she were sailing Eastern or Southern again....we have done Western twice and I know hubby wants to see something different. The Jewel has a few cabins that overlook the stern in catergory BA (balcony) but they aren't popping up as options for the online agencies. I may try calling around some....it would be neat to have a gorgeous view AND a beautiful ship lol. At a good price....don't want much, do I? lol Thanks again!

The Dawn from NYC to southern caribbean looks best, but I guess you really want to try something other than the Dawn for a change.

Would you consider betraying NCL? :)

There are some fantastic southern caribbean itineraries out of Puerto Rico if you would consider flying there to start, I did that and loved it. The distance from NYC to puerto rico is the same as NYC to Fort Lauderdale. You see more and better things when you start from PR... There are so many sailings -- Crown princess, celebrity galaxy, RCCL serenade/empress/adventure of the seas. Yes there is airfare cost to PR but the cruises out of there are often cheaper too..

Also celebrity constellation out of Fort Lauderdale looks like a nice itinerary, if you'd rather start in Florida.

Just for laughs look at the regal princess itinerary out of PR to the Amazon, that's really exotic. Rather ordinary ship though (done it). It ends or starts in the amazon which would be great for a land extension if you had time/money, but so much flying would be a pain.

I'm really not helping am I. :)

Would you consider betraying NCL? :) :)

seasprite,

I'm not trying to talk you out of a sailing on NCL by any means, I'm booked on the Dawn myself! I see that you have cruised 2 times in October, you seem to like the longer voyages and sailing out of NY.

With that in mind, just for kicks you might want to take a look at the October 27th sailing of the brand new Crown Princess sailing out of NY down to San Juan for 8 nights and then staying on the ship for an additional 7 nights to get even further south into the islands. You'll only need one way air, the prices are dirt cheap, there is a shipboard credit and if you haven't booked a Princess cruise before, but you know someone that has, you can be referred and receive an additional $25.pp off the price of the cruise. (You must be referred BEFORE you book).

The itinerary on the B2B includes Antigua, Dominica, St.Kitts, St.Thomas, San Juan, Barbados, St.Lucia, St. Maarten and concludes back in San Juan.

If you're a seafood lover the ship offers several seafood buffets including, king crab legs, split lobster, lobster claws and knuckles, a variety of shrimp dishes, clams, oysters, scallops and a variety of caribbean fish dishes.

Princess offers Personal Choice Dining or Traditional set times. Personal Choice gives you the opportunity to dine in one of two large dining rooms, when you want, with whom you want and at the size table you want. There are additional restaurants and buffets onboard as well.

There are 7 fresh water pools, many of them are adult only. There is a feature called Movies under the stars...a 300 sq. foot poolside screen playing movies, concerts and sporting events throughout the day and evening.

Well, I could go on and on. Only trying to help and again I think NCL is great, but I thought I'd just throw this out as an option.

Good Luck with your decision. I'm booked on the B2B Crown on October 27th. We have an active thread going. If I or anyone else in my large group of fun people can help, just give us a visit over there anytime. Or just stop by to say hello!!:D

Jonathan

P.S. Balconies for each cruise are starting at $800. inclusive, oceanviews $$635 inc., and insides $590. inc. For 15 nights on a Brand New Ship you can cruise for $1085. or less in an inside after applying credits, bonus's and wine or canapes.

Thank you Nita....I also like the looks of the Sun and her being a little older wouldn't disappoint hubby or me. But when I checked on her itinerary, she is only doing the Eastern Caribbean for a little longer and it looks like next year she is only doing Western. She is actually my first choice, as I found some staterooms (even in lower categories) with gorgeous stern views! Wish she were sailing Eastern or Southern again....we have done Western twice and I know hubby wants to see something different. The Jewel has a few cabins that overlook the stern in catergory BA (balcony) but they aren't popping up as options for the online agencies. I may try calling around some....it would be neat to have a gorgeous view AND a beautiful ship lol. At a good price....don't want much, do I? lol Thanks again!

Do call - the online booking engnes (even that of the cruise line) only show about 6-7 cabins per category. Often one you want actually is available.

I would also recommend booking with NCL directly as you can try for an upsell and deal with them directly on that. But if you go with a TA, make sure they understand and are willing to spend the time on an upsell (assuming you have some interest in one).

The Dawn from NYC to southern caribbean looks best, but I guess you really want to try something other than the Dawn for a change.

Would you consider betraying NCL? :)

There are some fantastic southern caribbean itineraries out of Puerto Rico if you would consider flying there to start, I did that and loved it. The distance from NYC to puerto rico is the same as NYC to Fort Lauderdale. You see more and better things when you start from PR... There are so many sailings -- Crown princess, celebrity galaxy, RCCL serenade/empress/adventure of the seas. Yes there is airfare cost to PR but the cruises out of there are often cheaper too..

:)

Jet Blue flies between Rochester and PR via JFK - can't get much cheaper airfare than that!

Wow, partyboy! That is a fabulous deal....but this next cruise has to be NCL because I have purchased the gold Latitudes Bonus Rewards and already have $550 credit. I will definitely keep this in mind for the future though...I like the sounds of the ship and that they have personal choice dining. How about the dress code....is it traditional with required semi-formal and formal nights or resort casual like NCL? This thread is great....wish I had LOTS of money for travel this year lol!

Good advice, Trina, about cruise reservations. Just finished talking to DH, and HE wants the cheapest inside cabin we can get this trip, but definitely on the Jewel or Dawn, plus he wants to do the Eastern Itinerary. I, on the other hand, am drooling at the balcony cabins this trip lol. Oh well, maybe if I go through NCL I will get offered an upsell and can change his mind hehehe. From your experience, how much do upsells usually run? Do they offer them from the cheaper inside cabins? lol We aren't usually quite so cheap, but retirement is cramping our style till social security kicks in lol! Plus, we have a disabled adult son complicating matters....it means planning ahead is tough and we have to be sure and get great trip insurance covering pre-existing conditions. We have had to learn to take it a day at a time! Recently my son just got out of the hospital after 35 days, so that's another reason I am yearning for a vacation (and not in a hotel near the hospital lol). That was not a vacation I would want to repeat but he made it and we are looking toward the future now! Thanks!

We'll miss you and your spirit!!!:D

Maybe next time.:)

Enjoy the heck out of your NCL cruise!;)

Oooops....almost forgot to answer your question!

It's resort casual with the exception of the two main dining rooms on the 2 formal nights during the cruise where you are expected to follow decorum. However, on most evenings...the exact same items AND MORE are served in the Cafe Caribe (buffet) as are served in the dining room. The Buffet is IMO outstanding. Great service, fantastic food and you place as much importance on the time factor as you need. The dress in the buffet during the entire length of the cruise is neat casual...including shorts if preferred.

I'll admit, I don't take pleasure in dressing up, I"ll do one formal night. The other formal...look for me at the seafood buffet!

I still have hope I'll see you and Hubby (and possibly your son) onboard one day and it will be a great surprise!!! You'll always find me over on Princess and about. I'll do everything I can to help you and your family. My email is in my profile. All you or your husband need to do is ask!

Jonathan & Patty

Hello Patty and Jonathan,

Thanks for the advice and I hope we do get to meet onboard someday! BTW, your email isn't part of your public profile but I can always look for you on the boards. Bet you are counting the days till your cruise. Have a blast!!

It's resort casual with the exception of the two main dining rooms on the 2 formal nights during the cruise where you are expected to follow decorum.

WRONG! On NCL, it is freestyle EVERY evening. The only thing I heard--but did not read--is that on formal nights they would prefer you did not wear jeans. But, that wasn't even enforced. I have been on about a half dozen NCL cruises since it went freestyle, and 70 percent dress resort casual every evening.

It's resort casual with the exception of the two main dining rooms on the 2 formal nights during the cruise where you are expected to follow decorum.

WRONG! On NCL, it is freestyle EVERY evening. The only thing I heard--but did not read--is that on formal nights they would prefer you did not wear jeans. But, that wasn't even enforced. I have been on about a half dozen NCL cruises since it went freestyle, and 70 percent dress resort casual every evening.

have been on 4 since Freestyle and have found a little different situation. We have found over 50% are dressed for the 2 formal nights: i don't mean tuxes etc, but certainly, at least sport coats for the guys and nice dressed for the ladies. We have also seen very few jeans in the dining room. A couple of times maybe and they were dress jeans, but very rarely do you see them. Resort casual is not jeans. NMnita

Archived