For those who are on "Enhanced Guidelines" cruises, if you sail from Rome, where do you get your Covid Test?

nho9504

I am trying to find info on the net but because US no longer requires test to enter the country since June,  the information while already is scanty, is now all outdated.

Now with Princess implemented this new policy, all of a sudden, we those who are on the "Enhanced Guidelines" cruises now need to find out where to take the test within 3 days of embarkation - whether it is in Rome or in London etc. 

Hope some readers of the board have information to share.  Thanks in advance.

17 minutes ago, nho9504 said:

I am trying to find info on the net but because US no longer requires test to enter the country since June,  the information while already is scanty, is now all outdated.

Now with Princess implemented this new policy, all of a sudden, we those who are on the "Enhanced Guidelines" cruises now need to find out where to take the test within 3 days of embarkation - whether it is in Rome or in London etc. 

Hope some readers of the board have information to share.  Thanks in advance.

Also, check your roll call, many discussions on this. Also, if you’re visiting Greece has to be an in person 

test, as opposed to proctored.

There are many test sites in Rome as many have posted, some in Civitavecchia and at the airport FCO. If you are staying in Rome, check with your hotel, they will know.  Many pharmacies do the rapid antigen tests. 

Thanks.

It is a Transatlantic so no Greece in it.

I just checked our 11/16  LHR-FCO flight - it arrives FCO at 4:25pm.  Our plan is taking the train from FCO to our BnB at Trastevere, near the train station.  The next day we can simply take another local train to Civitavecchia. 

In theory we could take the test at FCO on arrival,  or find a pharmacy in Trastevere either that evening or the next morning - but that would be cutting it very close.  We might have to do the test in London.

Edited by nho9504

49 minutes ago, nho9504 said:

Thanks.

I just checked our 11/16  LHR-FCO flight - it arrives FCO at 4:25pm.  Our plan is taking the train from FCO to our BnB at Trastevere, near the train station.  The next day we can simply take another local train to Civitavecchia. 

In theory we could take the test at FCO on arrival,  or find a pharmacy in Trastevere either that evening or the next morning - but that would be cutting it very close.  We might have to do the test in London.

Hmm.. as an aside, I don't understand why you are going all the way to Rome from the airport at the end of the day and then turning around and going all the way back to Civi the next morning.  Why not just go right to Civi from FCO and stay over there?

• Like 1

You may not know Rome local transit system well enough, nor the neighborhoods outside the usual tourist spots.

For Rome you may just have the "central" termini in mind. 

The Trastevere station is on both the local line FL1 from the airport and the local line FL5 to the port.

Rome Transit Map

https://romemap360.com/rome-train-map

If you take the train, you would need to transfer at Trastevere station even if you go straight from FCO to Civi.  FL1 from FCO to Trastevere, then change to FL5 to Civi.  By the way, it is much cheaper to use FL1 than Leonardo Express in case you are not aware.

Unless of course,  you spend big bucks to go from FCO directly to port but we dont want to do that especially we dont care for staying at Civi for the night.

The BnB is 7 min walk from the train station.  We only need to walk at most 10 min from the train station either for the arriving day to the BnB  for the night in Rome,  or on the departing day from the BnB to get on the  train from Rome to Civi.

Trastevere is a very nice neighborhood full of local flavor and very lively at night.  The neighborhood is not well known by Americans or Canadians who only know the usual "Rome" in a tourist's sense.

Weather permitted you can take a 5 min stroll to the Tiber River.  There are lots of eateries in the neighborhood.  Civi is no comparison in that regard. 

Edited by nho9504
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, nho9504 said:

You may not know Rome local transit system well enough, nor the neighborhoods outside the usual tourist spots.

The Trastevere station is on both the local line FL1 from the airport and the local line FL5 to the port.

Rome Transit Map

If you take the train, you would need to transfer at Trastevere station even if you go straight from FCO to Civi.  FL1 from FCO to Trastevere, then change to FL5 to Civi.  By the way, it is much cheaper to use FL1 than Leonardo Express in case you are not aware.

Unless of course,  you spend big bucks to go from FCO directly to port but we dont want to do that especially we dont care for staying at Civi for the night.

The BnB is 7 min walk from the train station.  We only need to walk at most 10 min from the train station either for the arriving day to the BnB  for the night in Rome,  or on the departing day from the BnB to get on the  train from Rome to Civi.

Trastevere is a very nice neighborhood full of local flavor and very lively at night.  The neighborhood is not well known by Americans or Canadians who only know the usual "Rome" in a tourist's sense.

Weather permitted you can take a 5 min stroll to the Tiber River.  There are lots of eateries in the neighborhood.  Civi is no comparison in that regard. 

Thanks for the reply.  I did not consider if taking the train.  Yes, I know the train options as I have read about them, but we prefer to just hire a direct transfer service.  (To each their own). 

We have been in Rome before and in Trastevere neighborhood and enjoyed visiting it.  I was just thinking it seems like such a short time to spend in Rome and didn't consider training it.

10 hours ago, nho9504 said:

Thanks.

We are in Rome now.   This morning, we tested at a pharmacy in Trastevere, in the square with Santa Maria Church.   Just walk up & take the test.    There was no one ahead of us, so we were done with printout in hand in about 30 minutes, total.    Cost was about $20 each.

But, yes, your hotel can tell you closest place to get a test, there are many and it is as easy as everyone says.

Best,

Mary

Edited by Mary loves to travel
  • Thanks 3

@Mary

Thanks a lot for the info.  Glad to know the process was quick and easy, as well as cheap at only 20 euro.  I will look up the location vs the BnB.

The BnB also replied and gave a pharmacy name.  The pharmacy opens till 20:00.   On Google map there are 3 of them within walking distance from the BnB. I need to see the name BnB gave is among one of them.

Upon research, FCO also has test center at T3, for both departing and arriving passengers and airport workers with badges. Cost is also 20 euro. Unfortunately the hours are 0600 to 1700 and our flight from London arrives at 1625, so I guess if we choose to do the test in Rome we need to do it at a pharmacy in town.

In London you need to go to a provider with online appointment (plenty of slots at this stage), with 30 to 35 GBP cost.  That is quite a bit more than doing it in Rome.   Plus it is one or two tube stations from where we stay.  We stay in Vauxhall, the closest facility is in Waterloo.

The disadvantage of taking the tests in Rome is we are cutting the timeline very close, in the evening of Day 1, or the morning of Day 0.  This is a bit out of the comfort zone.

I will need to check again in late October on the latest situation then to decide whether we take the tests in Rome or in London.

@Steelers36

We have been in Rome many times in the past incl one year we “pass” Rome 4 times each time spending a few days …. We visited Vatican museum a few times, and countless churches in the city and just out of the city  primarily to hunt down the paintings and sculptures by the great names in history.  So much so,  this time we purposely choose to spend a few days in London versus fly from Cairo directly to Rome after we finish our Jordan and Egypt trip,  precisely because we prefer to spend the remaining precruise days in London than in Rome.   It would be great to revisit British Museum after we finally visit Egypt and see the treasures in Luxor.  We think this would give us new perspectives.

Staying in Trastevere for the night allows us to have a leisurely evening, and a nice half day the next day before taking the train to Civi after 12:00..  Even in Summer Civi is boring, let alone in the early Winter.  Staying in Civi never occurs in our mind even though we have taken a doz or more cruises that sailed from Civi.  Yeah, to each their own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, nho9504 said:

@Steelers36

We have been in Rome many times in the past incl one year we “pass” Rome 4 times each time spending a few days …. We visited Vatican museum a few times, and countless churches in the city and just out of the city  primarily to hunt down the paintings and sculptures by the great names in history.  So much so,  this time we purposely choose to spend a few days in London versus fly from Cairo directly to Rome after we finish our Jordan and Egypt trip,  precisely because we prefer to spend the remaining precruise days in London than in Rome.   It would be great to revisit British Museum after we finally visit Egypt and see the treasures in Luxor.  We think this would give us new perspectives.

Staying in Trastevere for the night allows us to have a leisurely evening, and a nice half day the next day before taking the train to Civi after 12:00..  Even in Summer Civi is boring, let alone in the early Winter.  Staying in Civi never occurs in our mind even though we have taken a doz or more cruises that sailed from Civi.  Yeah, to each their own.

Never been in Civi before, but also plan to be buying wine there to take on board, so easier than schlepping from Rome.  We'd love to return to Rome again, but didn't have enough time to do it this trip and decided to do something new between Regal and Island.  Some day...

ETA:  We like to be on board early so a noon departure from Rome wouldn't suit.  Like you said - to each their own.  Enjoy your evening in Trastevere.

A tip for you even though I did see the post.  When tagging another CC Member, do begin with the "@" symbol as you did.  Then, start typing their handle (like @Stee).  As you do so, a drop down list of matching handles appears and as you keep typing the list shrinks.  This final step is critical.  Once you see the one you want, click on it and it should appear like this:  @nho9504.  Once you see the light blue highlight, you know the CC Member will be alerted that they have been mentioned in a post. 

Edited by Steelers36

@Steelers36

Thanks for the trick on the name handle.  

@Mary loves to travel

I want you to read my earlier post thanking you for the timely info.  🙂

I hope this thread would help the search function for this in need to do so in the near future.

As for getting onboard time,  if the cruises are Caribbeans or Alaska, we would try to get on board early.   For European cruises, especially for a Transatlantic,  there are truly no rush.  It is so so much easier to board after the mass has gone thru,  and you are boarding merely  a couple hours  later yet much much more leisurely.  

I don’t think it is a loss to miss the embarkation lunch due to boarding late.  The only thing that is truly valuable,  if it still exists, is the meeting with Maitre ‘d in the main ding room, to set up a “fixed” dining time with a fixed table for two at a desirable location.   They don’t advertise such meeting exists, but those who are in the know how this works.  The line is always long so you have to get there early so to have a chance, I.e. a table for two at a desirable table still exists.

Does this Maitre ‘d assisted, dining room table assignment still exists now?   We have only taken Royal Caribbeans cruises since last Dec.  Did not follow Princess board on all the dramas and glitches as our cruise is not until Nov.

Now I need to brush up, especially to read thru the Medallion thread.  For which I wholeheartedly than you for doing a lot of the work keeping readers up to date, as well as helping people on how to set it up and how to use it.  I guess it is time for me to download the app to our phones and to order the device.  I truly DONT look forward to the chores.  LOL.

Edited by nho9504
Correct meaning

No formal meeting time on embarkation afternoon due to DineMyWay (DMW).  That doesn't mean you cannot meet with him or assistant.  Either seek them out at first lunch or first dinner and see if you cannot get same table if desired.  From more recent posts, it appears guests are generally having success with this.

• Like 1

@nho9504

glad I could help 😊

we, too, go in search of artworks!

The British Museum is amazing.  I imagine you will have a different perspective after visiting Jordan and Egypt.   (Haven’t been to that area yet, on the list).  

Also, in case you don’t know, the National Gallery has a special exhibition on right now:   Face off - Picasso Ingres.    It’s just two paintings, but very surprising.   Only a very short wait to get in when we were there 3 weeks ago.  

enjoy,

Mary

• Like 1

19 hours ago, nho9504 said:

Rome Transit Map

As someone who spends at least a month a year in Rome, I respectfully disagree with Americans/Canadians not knowing about Trastevere.  The streets are full of them!  

For a covid test look for a white tent outside of a pharmacy which is designated by a green cross. Go inside the pharmacy, pay for the test (€25) and have it done inside the tent. Most do not require appointments but a few do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1