Onboard Ruby Princess sept7-17, Alaska

LawDog61

When we walked by Deckhand Dave's earlier, the line was really long.  We decided to just skip it this trip.  And we completely forgot about Tracey's, and since we walked so much today, there's no way I feel up to walking back there!

What a glorious day.  No rain, nice sunshine, and just the littlest of breezes.  We opted on going to the Alaska State Museum, and it was really well done.  Great exhibits, and the film in the theater was really nice.  Well worth the admission of $14pp.

• Like 1

Yes, there have been MUTS and I think they showed Ford  vs. Ferrari in the theater.  Some football Sunday and Monday in Club Fusion.  I think it’s unlikely you will see a recent release high earner film on board.  

It’s a beautiful day in Ketchikan. After the rough first few days, the weather has been great.  Discovery is the only other ship in port today.  We were on her a few months ago for a Coastal, and she is a lovely ship.  Going on another coastal on her in October.   
I don’t think of myself as a “big ship” person, but there is much to like about the Royal Class.  I do however, really miss the WheelHouse on that class ship.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 11:31 AM, Blue_Flame said:

I would love to know what Princess's policy is when it comes to a cancelled port. 

It has always been their practice to refund the port taxes, since they are taxes and not revenue, and sometimes they even offer amenities for the inconvenience.

But it remains to be seen with the post-Covid Princess policies.

3 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

It has always been their practice to refund the port taxes, since they are taxes and not revenue, and sometimes they even offer amenities for the inconvenience.

But it remains to be seen with the post-Covid Princess policies.

On a short 4 day coastal (Santa Catalina and Ensenada), we missed both ports due to weather.  We were returned port taxes and "gifted" a glass of beer or fountain soda of our choice.  Loved the cruise to nowhere.  (We did pull into San Diego to be in a sheltered port).  I don't think they charged us for a port fee.  

On 9/10/2022 at 1:31 PM, Blue_Flame said:

Any idea if there are any port taxes to be refunded to us for missing Icy Strait? I asked at Guest Services and she was unsure. She went as far to say if there was, it would come in the form of a Future Cruise Credit. That doesn't seem correct to me. I would think that it should be in the form of refundable OBC or a check mailed after the cruise. 

I would love to know what Princess's policy is when it comes to a cancelled port. 

Normally the port charges for a missed port are put on the onboard portfolio as refundable OBC.

A couple of times in the past we have received a check over a year later instead.

• Like 1

It looks like a nice day with smooth seas as we head south for S.F.  Went to the Billy Joel tribute show last night-it was great.   This was the last Alaska cruise of the season for the Ruby.   3 coastals out of S.F. Are up next for her

• Like 1

So, I guess AriveCAN was just our northern neighbors having some fun with us yanks.   After all the hassle of completing the form and getting the trophy QR code to show when —- nothing.    Just walk off the ship.   
I think all the precautions have paid off though.   It seems like a health group of cruisers.  I have not heard much coughing or sneezing and everyone in my travel group staying healthy.   We mask up in elevators (about 50% do) and when in large groups or lines.  I keep mask on during the 2 shows I attended in main theater, but not in wheelhouse.  I do love the Wheelhouse group 2 Wire.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LawDog61 said:

So, I guess AriveCAN was just our northern neighbors having some fun with us yanks.   After all the hassle of completing the form and getting the trophy QR code to show when —- nothing.    Just walk off the ship.   
I think all the precautions have paid off though.   It seems like a health group of cruisers.  I have not heard much coughing or sneezing and everyone in my travel group staying healthy.   We mask up in elevators (about 50% do) and when in large groups or lines.  I keep mask on during the 2 shows I attended in main theater, but not in wheelhouse.  I do love the Wheelhouse group 2 Wire.

The ArriveCAN records are electronic and matched to the passenger records. On my b2b to Alaska this spring I didn’t fill out the ArriveCAN for my second leg and they tracked me down to get it done on turn around day. Thanks for doing the live from. I board when you get off and am looking forward to the entertainment you’ve suggested. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Thanks 1

Debarking this morning was the easiest ever.  We were scheduled for an 8:15 departure. Left cabin at 8 a.m. to head to the lounge and heard an announcement that they were running ahead and our group had all ready been called.  Walked right off the ship.  Bags and through  customs in 5 minutes, and at our gate a SFO at 9:10. 😂

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/11/2022 at 12:20 PM, LawDog61 said:

After 3 sea days, we arrived in Juneau early today.   The Grand Princess and a Celebrity ship are also in port.   It is truly a beautiful day here, nice after a few days of heavy weather.

Went to an ABBA tribute show last night in the main theater and it was great fun.    We are in port until 8:30 tonight.   I think a lot of people are doing multiple tours.  

I'm on Ruby on 2 December for 16 days to Galveston. How would you rate the theater shows on your cruise.  Professional? Entertaining? A worthwhile devotion of time?  What?  Do you see the show first and then go to dinner? - -  or just the opposite?  Jack  

We were on the Ruby September 24 to October 1. There were 2 production shows Stardust and Color of the Wind. Stardust was just ok. We didn’t go to the other as we had seen it before. There was a comedian in the theater 2 other nights. He was not very funny at all. We didn’t go back. The other entertainer was a singing impressionist who was great. We went to both of his shows. If we are going to the theater we like to have dinner between 5 and 5:30. The shows start at 7:30. 

10 hours ago, judyjudy56 said:

We were on the Ruby September 24 to October 1. There were 2 production shows Stardust and Color of the Wind. Stardust was just ok. We didn’t go to the other as we had seen it before. There was a comedian in the theater 2 other nights. He was not very funny at all. We didn’t go back. The other entertainer was a singing impressionist who was great. We went to both of his shows. If we are going to the theater we like to have dinner between 5 and 5:30. The shows start at 7:30. 

I certainly agree with your dinner first and then theater schedule, Judy. I'm sorry to read of your disappoinment with some of the theater programs.  For me, going to the theater afer a fine dinner, in a great restaurant and with service beyond belief, is the civilized way to go.  Then, to have a low-grade theater performance . . . how deeply disappointing.

I sail Ruby on 2 December 2022 headed for Galveston via the Canal.  The below Internet photo shows Port Huatulco, Mexico, and the vessel is the Emerald, sister to Ruby.  Kinda makes you 'wanting to go again,' right Judy?  Jack  

Huatulco.jpg