British Isles Explorer September 13

Topflitemolitor2

25 minutes ago, Topflitemolitor2 said:

Any thoughts on how the historic and sad passing of Queen Elizabeth will impact our cruise?

Other than possible yet small impact on those excursions actually in London I would think none. Will your ship be making it into Greenwich or mooring in Tilsbury? Tilsbury being a good ways outside London proper. 

I believe that the day of the State Funeral, which we believe is going to be Monday 19th, will be classed as a Bank (or public) Holiday, with museums, public offices/buildings etc + Banks & most shops being closed. I suppose if you have an excursion linked to any of those on that day it may be affected.

49 minutes ago, Topflitemolitor2 said:

Any thoughts on how the historic and sad passing of Queen Elizabeth will impact our cruise?

The passing of our much beloved Queen Elizabeth II may result in a number of impacts to your excursions ashore throughout the UK.

I believe all Royal attractions are closed, including the daily "Changing of the Guard" ceremony at Buckingham Palace. London is a busy and chaotic city at the best of times, but over the next 10 - 14 days it we be even busier, as many descend on the city to pass their respects to Her Majesty, and also see the new King.

Closer to the funeral, you will find road closures and an increasing number of Heads of State and other dignitaries, who will be in London for the funeral.

A number of businesses may also be closed, the day of the funeral will most likely be a National Holiday and a number of events throughout UK are being cancelled.

It also won't be just around London, as for the next few days Edinburgh will be impacted. I also expect you will find various impacts throughout the entire UK.

• Like 1

We are awaiting the schedule of this mourning period. I'll post it here if you would like me to.

If any excursions are cancelled, just wander through the streets. In so many streets you'll be surrounded by thousands of years of history. There are wonderful areas to stroll though and many suggested walks available free online. 

As Andy said, there will be national holidays announced and that will affect much BUT if walking you'll pass outstanding architecture, soak up the atmosphere of this wonderful city and mingle with us Brits at this time of great sorrow and yet celebration of a wonderful woman and a life well lived. 

I feel sure you'll have an outstanding visit and experience much pomp and ceremony as the City prepares for the funeral. I suspect it will be at least a week away but await the formal date.

• Like 2

We also are on the 13th September cruise and were on our Singapore to London flight when the Captain announced the sad passing of Queen Elizabeth. We spent yesterday walking around London (fighting jet lag) and were in awe of the large respectful crowd and the organisational logistics  at both Buckingham Palace and Hyde Park (for the 96 gun salute). We also spoke to many of the police, who were all outstandingly informative and friendly. 

Although sad, we felt extremely lucky to be part of this historic time.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, pmfne said:

We also are on the 13th September cruise and were on our Singapore to London flight when the Captain announced the sad passing of Queen Elizabeth. We spent yesterday walking around London (fighting jet lag) and were in awe of the large respectful crowd and the organisational logistics  at both Buckingham Palace and Hyde Park (for the 96 gun salute). We also spoke to many of the police, who were all outstandingly informative and friendly. 

Although sad, we felt extremely lucky to be part of this historic time.

We too arrived yesterday, and it has been surreal. As our London friends put it, these are unprecedented times for all but the most senior among us. 

We heard the guns yesterday from our hotel room (which is a stone’s throw from Buckingham palace) and, as I mentioned elsewhere, watched outside the gates as King Charles and his wife entered the palace for the first time as king and queen. 

I’ve been struck by the multi-national crowds, people from everywhere are here. Very respectful. 

Next Tuesday, the day we transfer to our ship in Greenwich, the queen’s coffin will be flown to the palace in the morning, and there will be a rehearsal of the procession that will take place on Wednesday. It will behoove us to get away to Greenwich sooner rather than later, I believe. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Next Tuesday, the day we transfer to our ship in Greenwich, the queen’s coffin will be flown to the palace in the morning, and there will be a rehearsal of the procession that will take place on Wednesday. It will behoove us to get away to Greenwich sooner rather than later, I believe. 

Do try and visit Greenwich. You can take a boat down the Thames and disembark where the Cutty Sark is located. The Royal Observatory has a window filled octagonal room designed by Christopher Wren that allowed Newton to move his telescope in all directions to do his observations. You can also stand on the Prime Meridian, view the official world time, and see how it passes through the dome of the telescope which is the basis of the observations that created it.
The most important historical clocks in the world are on display there, the John Harrison clocks that are associated with the Longitudinal Prize.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, Topflitemolitor2 said:

Thank you in advance for any information you can pass on to those of us who will be in London during such a sorrowful time. Know that we, and the world, mourn with you.

I thought this might be useful to you, it's just been published by the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62861617

Perhaps check out the daily planned activity and if you are free or interested, plan to be near the events as the pomp and ceremony might interest you. The Brits do this so well!

Many tourists have been surprised by the Royal family taking to the streets yesterday and today to talk with the crowds amid the public mourning/celebration. There will be many ceremonial rehearsals taking place which, if you haven't been to London before, may delight you.

If your planned V excursions are cancelled just do a DIY. There'll be much to interest you I feel sure. Use  the TFL link to check status of public transport ie the tube lines. I would suggest that the transport system will be working well, certainly the tube. Bus lines may be affected by potential road closures.

https://tfl.gov.uk/tube-dlr-overground/status/

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1