Oceania smoking policy on decks

disnemimi

On 12/20/2022 at 3:24 PM, Guppy99 said:

it stinks...literally. Ridiculous to equate smoking with character traits of being fun, easy going, friendly and non-judgmental.  Those personality factors can describe non-smokers and plenty of smokers are none of those things.

Are you insinuating that smokers cannot have "character traits of being fun, easy going, friendly and non-judgmental. "? Your comment is very "judgmental".

I do not smoke and have friends that do and I do not disrespect or chastise them for their habit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2022 at 8:31 AM, pete_coach said:

Are you insinuating that smokers cannot have "character traits of being fun, easy going, friendly and non-judgmental. "? Your comment is very "judgmental".

I do not smoke and have friends that do and I do not disrespect or chastise them for their habit.

I suggest you re-read my response. You totally got it wrong.

I came into this conversation just now but while I'm not a a smoker I USED to have friends who were. They were always our friends even when they were smoking.  We have had a duplex apartment since the end of 1980 and we always banned smoking upstairs (where the playing of chamber music occurred) but permitted it downstairs where meals occurred.

It's a while since we've had these parties but our system worked, even though some did comment that the smoke downstairs might waft upstairs.  But I'm very sensitive to the smell of cigarette smoke and I didn't notice a problem going from one floor to the other.  And as years passed, there were fewer and fewer smokers.

But I would never "judge" my friends on whether they smoke or not.

At the same time as I say that, I would not sail on a line that allows free smoking everywhere.  Are there lines these days that do???  When we started sailing on Renaissance (Oct '99) we were attracted to their no smoking policy.  Shortly before they went belly up after 9/11 they had intended to amend their policy to permit limited smoking, which is basically (as I recall) the policy that Oceania adopted when they took over.

Mura

• 2 weeks later...

we are just off the Riviera on Jan 14.....

there is a corner on the pool deck for smokers....

we would chose pool chairs as far away from that corner as possible but still on the same side....

the smoke would still waft over to where we were and would have to move...

with limited availability of chairs, that was not easy to do....

the smoking corner occupies some very expensive real-estate...they could put more pool chairs there and put this smoking somewhere where it does not impact other guests, ....

Yes I mentioned it on the survey....hope others did also as it seemed to bother a great many of us....

there were not a lot of smokers...only a few....a waste of a corner on the pool deck for those few.....

• Like 2