YIKES! It's a good thing I booked early, the prices have gone crazy!

FlorenceItaly

I just had to share this with someone. In December, I booked my 30 day South Pacific dream cruise. I booked it at solo rate. I got several quotes, and ended up booking with an on-line agency I have used before. They were $1300 less than HAL, and $800 less than another on-line agent, that is my preferred TA. Well, I went on-line today to just look at the prices of said cruise, and it is now $2800 MORE at the on-line site I booked with. In fact, now I am only paying around $400 more than the double occupancy rates. Before checking the on-line site, I had gone to the HAL site first. When I saw the prices I thought it must be a mistake(thousands more), as HAL's website has been crazy lately. So, off I go to the site I booked at and yes, it has gone UP, by $2800. I am so thankful I booked early. The price of the cruise now is well out of my budget, as I am already pushing the envelope :). Thanks for listening.

Edited to say I actually booked this cruise in January. It was my Oosterdam cruise I booked in Dec. I booked the said cruise mid January.

Marie

Sometimes, dreaming and booking early is the best. In this case, as with you, I have to plan and save in advance....now you can watch the prices rise and not lose sleep but sleep better knowing others will be paying more for what you have already secured.

Sweet Dreams.:D

Linda

I have book my February 2007 cruise (Panama) you got me thinking -- going to Holland America website and check prices. I will be having a single cabin next to my bother and his wife. If this is so -- glad I booked early.

Emily

this particular passage, they only offer this itinerary one time per year, so I am not so sure about this cruise.

Emily, enjoy your Panama Canal cruise. It is a cruise my dh and I plan to do someday :).

Linda - I have decided I AM taking this cruise whether I can afford to or not, lol. I had put deposit down, thinking if I couldn't work it out, I could cancel, but now I have decided it's now or never :).

Marie

I love a woman with spirit and determination....better not get in their way. Hey look even in the Bible many women (not all bad, like Eve who gave us a bad rap) were secure and determined Sarah (yes she laughed but at her age who wouldn't), Esther who saved her whole sect of people, Lydia, Eunice, Mary, the Mother of Christ....lots of us, dig in and dig out.

Linda

this particular passage, they only offer this itinerary one time per year, so I am not so sure about this cruise.

Emily, enjoy your Panama Canal cruise. It is a cruise my dh and I plan to do someday :).

Linda - I have decided I AM taking this cruise whether I can afford to or not, lol. I had put deposit down, thinking if I couldn't work it out, I could cancel, but now I have decided it's now or never :).

Marie

Hi Marie,

I'm so glad that you have decided to take the cruise - and that you got a real deal on the price. I know that you will have a wonderful time. I would join you but I'm already booked on the Amsterdam from Fort Lauderdale to Hong Kong starting January 15th, 2007.

The Panama Canal cruise is a great cruise. It's so great in fact that I've already done it four times and will probably be doing it again soon - well as soon as my bank account has recovered from the Lauderdale to Hong Kong cruise anyway.;)

Valerie:)

I am disappointed that you will not be in SD when I will be. I am looking forward to meeting you one of these times. Of course, I am tickeled you are taking your cruise, and am so happy for you. I can't wait to hear ALL about it. Yep, God willing, I AM taking this cruise.

Marie

Because I have TOO much time on my hands, lol, and I was still stunned over the pricing, I went to look again. Well, on the HAL site, it is back to what it originally was in January. On the site I booked at, it is now $100 LESS. I have emailed my agent for a price adjustment. We'll see what they say.

Cheryl - You are right. My dh is wonderful. Many people don't understand that I do some traveling without him. We have a great marriage, and adore one another. Sure, I miss him while I am gone, but we are both very secure in our marriage that it is not a problem when we are apart. I appreciate your support, as many don't understand :). Oh, btw, we don't really have the money, but I am going anyway, LOL,LOL.

Marie

Hi Marie. I admire your sense of adventure but of course you are really never alone on a cruise. My DH of 40 years and Ihave taken separate vacations before also. He loves the lake, I love Las Vegas. I took one cruise without him and he has been with me on all cruises since.

We have to enjoy ourselves while we still have good health so I am sure you will find the means to afford the cruise of a life time.

We booked the Veendam 11/25/07 already. Big increase from 2005 rates, probably 25%. Now if that's the early booking discount, I hate to see what the late deciders rate will be!!! I just watch and see what happens and hopefully will go down before final payment comes around. We just want to go on this cruise and got the cabin we want so all we have to do now is pay up and show up!:p

Unfortunately HAL have priced us out of the market. We're looking for a one week cruise in an SA. Last December we had one for $1300 each which was fantastic. The 7 night we want this year in early Jan 07 is $3000 each for same cabin. No way HAL. We're not prepared to compromise and go back to an inside cabin. Looking at RCI instead or maybe a land based trip. Short, but "Suite" HAL. Addios.

Well, I went on-line today to just look at the prices of said cruise, and it is now $2800 MORE at the on-line site I booked with. In fact, now I am only paying around $400 more than the double occupancy rates.

Wow! After reading your post, just for the heck of it I went online to a couple of sites, including HAL's and checked pricing. You are right ... the price for this cruise has skyrocketed. I honestly wouldn't have been able to afford it this year either. That is NOWHERE even NEAR what I paid ... and there is no way I would pay that today.

I can understand the cost of this cruise being high, though. They sailed at full capacity this year ... and, in fact, were overbooked and offered special incentives (very generous incentives) to get people to cancel at the last minute. That tells you a cruise is very popular and the market will obviously bear a higher price. So, of course, HAL is gonna charge it.

I still don't understand why HAL doesn't offer this cruise a couple of times each year. Obviously, they wouldn't have a problem filling the boat.

You were smart to book early. Way to go! :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

And you won't be sorry, Marie. It is truly the cruise of a lifetime. The memories you will bring home with you afterwards will be truly special ... and ones you could get nowhere else. The friends you will make while onboard will last you a lifetime. I am emailing with several of the folks I sailed with and hoping we can schedule another cruise together in the foreseeable future.

Believe me, I spent a bundle on this cruise ... more money than I ever should have spent ... but I don't regret it one iota. It was well worth it. I only wish I could join you on this one next year. Sadly, even aside from the price, though, 30 days away from work is not something I can do every year. :( But, hey ... when I finally get to retire in another 16 or so years, who knows? :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Wow! After reading your post, just for the heck of it I went online to a couple of sites, including HAL's and checked pricing. You are right ... the price for this cruise has skyrocketed. I honestly wouldn't have been able to afford it this year either. That is NOWHERE even NEAR what I paid ... and there is no way I would pay that today.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita - Did you see my later post? This afternoon I checked the sites again. Read my earlier post. Just for the heck of it, go back to the sites you looked at this morning and see if anything has changed.

Also, it's thanks to YOU that I did book early. I read in one of your posts that the cruise was 60% full by March of last year. So, I knew I had to act fast. Thank YOU. Btw, I sent the dailies out to Dorothy today :).

Marie

Just my two cents worth but I found a great deal on HAL for Jan 07. This will be our first time on HAL and a Veranda at that. I'm hoping this will be better than NCL, our normal line. If your interested check the Jan. 21st sailing of the Westerdam. Check several of the online agencies, some have the deal, you just have to find it. I'd post who I booked through but that seems to be a no-no. You'll know it when you see it. I called HAL Res. too and their prices seemed alot more.

Just my two cents worth but I found a great deal on HAL for Jan 07. This will be our first time on HAL and a Veranda at that. I'm hoping this will be better than NCL, our normal line. If your interested check the Jan. 21st sailing of the Westerdam. Check several of the online agencies, some have the deal, you just have to find it. I'd post who I booked through but that seems to be a no-no. You'll know it when you see it. I called HAL Res. too and their prices seemed alot more.

You are correct. I am seeing some fabulous prices for this date. Sue, I hope you see this and check it out. Lineway, you will love HAL.

Marie

Archived