Panama Canal Partial Cruise on Ship or

mfnjan

I am researching a Panama Canal cruise and am comparing a partial transit cruise verse a cruise which doesn't enter the canal but rather has a long stay in Colon, Panama.  The cruise line offers an excursion out of Colon, Panama where you board a ferry and it appears you go through the canal to the Pacific ocean.  Any feedback on this excursion?  Thank you.

Edited by mfnjan

Most partial transit cruises offer shore excursions after locking through the Atlantic Locks that include the ferry excursion.  Once your ship reaches the Gatun Lake anchorage after locking up,  you will tender ashore to be transported to the Pacific side to board the ferry.  The ferry will take you through the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut and afterwards you will be bused back to your ship which will be waiting in Colon.  If you opt for a cruise that just stops in Colon rather than the partial transit the ferry excursion would operate in a similar manner, that is bus to the Pacific side, board the ferry for the excursion and then return to ship in Colon by bus.

IMO the partial transit cruise offers a unique opportunity to see the locks from a large vessel and then experience it from the smaller ferry.  You get two completely different perspectives when you combine your transit through the Atlantic Locks on your ship and then through the Pacific Locks on the excursion ferry.  When you combine the partial transit on your ship and the ferry excursion you will have seen a great deal of the Canal.  The best part is there will still be some of the Canal for you to see for the first time when you decide to do a full transit cruise. 

If your primary goal is to see the Canal, a partial transit cruise combined with the ferry excursion is the better choice.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2022 at 7:03 AM, mfnjan said:

I am researching a Panama Canal cruise and am comparing a partial transit cruise verse a cruise which doesn't enter the canal but rather has a long stay in Colon, Panama.  The cruise line offers an excursion out of Colon, Panama where you board a ferry and it appears you go through the canal to the Pacific ocean.  Any feedback on this excursion?  Thank you.

Based on your post, it looks like the cruise you are considering is not even doing a partial transit, it is only docking in Colon.

As a mariner, I have been through the Canal well over a couple dozen times in both cruise ships and a couple of cargo ships. Some have been Panamax dimensions and a couple were smaller 500' ships. Yes, the experience is different depending on the size of the ship, but for me, the primary reason I still book Canal cruises, is for the additional experiences of going through the entire Canal and enjoying a relaxing day aboard the ship.

My preference would be looking for a cruise that does the entire Canal for your first experience, preferable a Panamax size ship using the original locks. Personally, I would never consider taking a ferry through the Canal, with the additional associated travel.

On the cruise ship, I am out on deck before sunrise, as the vessel approaches the breakwater. I remain out on deck throughout most of the entire transit. I can still enjoy the creature comforts of the ship, if I desire, such are heading to the buffet for a quick lunch and enjoying a few drinks during the day.

The tendering off the ship, ferry trip and then bus back just wouldn't be such a relaxing day, as seeing the Canal from your cruise ship.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am booked on Celebrity Edge which will be doing a partial transit. I would love to tender ashore once arrived in the Gatun Lake and then watch the ship arriving and docking later on. However, I am bit confused on the excursions provided by Celebrity - most of them start at 9/10am. I don't want to be unloaded before we pass the Locks 😆

And some of them take 6-8 hours...

Any experience what tour will let me tender ashore and wait for the ship to follow?

None of the tours that are offered at the Canal will begin until the ship reaches Gatun Lake.  The Edge will reach Gatun Lake after it passes through the locks on the Atlantic side, which is Agua Clara Locks.  While you are on your tour the ship will lock back down Agua Clara Locks and dock in Colon where you will rejoin the ship.  The Edge will largely retrace the same route back through the locks and to Colon that you traveled on the way in.

None of the tours will offer the chance to disembark before the ship goes through Agua Clara Locks.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 9:03 AM, mfnjan said:

Not sure which line you cruise on, but we are booked on NCL Jewel that starts in Panama City, does a full transit through the canals, then to Costa Rica and the ABC's and then ends in Colon.  It is a 9 day cruise.  This will be our first canal cruise and looking forward to going through the entire canal using the old locks.  Just another option for you.  Enjoy whatever cruise you decide on.  🙂

20 hours ago, BillB48 said:

None of the tours that are offered at the Canal will begin until the ship reaches Gatun Lake.  The Edge will reach Gatun Lake after it passes through the locks on the Atlantic side, which is Agua Clara Locks.  While you are on your tour the ship will lock back down Agua Clara Locks and dock in Colon where you will rejoin the ship.  The Edge will largely retrace the same route back through the locks and to Colon that you traveled on the way in.

None of the tours will offer the chance to disembark before the ship goes through Agua Clara Locks.

Thank you BillB48. So the schedule will be:

arriving at the locks, waiting to pass the locks

arriving in Gatun Lake Lake

all tours start now

going back through the locks and heading to Colon

picking up the tour people

Is that correct? Or will the Ship stay in the Lake for a while and pick up some of the shorter tours?

Also, do you have any experience how long will it take to arrive at Gatun lake?

In the booking, it says:

6am-3pm Panama canal (cruising)

5pm-9pm Colon

I wonder as there are some tours starting at 9:30am and last 3 hours. That would make it possible to get back on the ship before it leaves Gatun Lake?

Thanks again for your help.

3 hours ago, UniPac said:

So the schedule will be:

arriving at the locks, waiting to pass the locks

arriving in Gatun Lake Lake

all tours start now

going back through the locks and heading to Colon

^^This is exactly the process.  The ship will enter the Canal at the Breakwater and from there it is about 5 miles to the Agua Clara Locks.  This part of the transit can take about an hour or so.  Once the ship arrives at the Locks, the passage through the locks will take about 2 hours.

After clearing the Locks, it is only a very short sail to where the tendering will begin.  It really is a very short distance, perhaps only a half of a mile or so.  The ship will wait in this area until it locks down and proceeds to Colon

While the time the ship waits in the Lake for the down lockage is very flexible and is all dependent on other Canal traffic, I have not seen passengers return to the ship while it is still in the Lake. 

Cruise lines pay an extra fee for the transit to occur during daylight.  A daylight transit for Canal purposes is arriving at the first lock and clearing the last lock in daylight.  The Canal folks are real clock watchers in this respect!  Daylight begins at dawn and ends at sunset.  In Panama that time is real easy to figure out, since daylight is very close to 12 hours long year round and is always close to 6:AM and PM.  I point this out mainly  because it is possible for the ship to enter the Canal at the Breakwater while it is still dark, however the passage through the Locks would be in daylight.  Precise execution of schedules at the Canal are more of a wish list😃.

Edited by BillB48
  • Thanks 1

Thank you again, BillB48. I guess I will book a 3-4 hours excursion and once onboard, I will ask the shore excursion staff about the details. I really wonder how this will go...

I would really love to see the ship dock in Colon from shoreside 😀

And it seems I will have to get up early to not miss the whole process through the locks!

22 hours ago, BillB48 said:

^^This is exactly the process.  The ship will enter the Canal at the Breakwater and from there it is about 5 miles to the Agua Clara Locks.  This part of the transit can take about an hour or so.  Once the ship arrives at the Locks, the passage through the locks will take about 2 hours.

After clearing the Locks, it is only a very short sail to where the tendering will begin.  It really is a very short distance, perhaps only a half of a mile or so.  The ship will wait in this area until it locks down and proceeds to Colon

While the time the ship waits in the Lake for the down lockage is very flexible and is all dependent on other Canal traffic, I have not seen passengers return to the ship while it is still in the Lake. 

Cruise lines pay an extra fee for the transit to occur during daylight.  A daylight transit for Canal purposes is arriving at the first lock and clearing the last lock in daylight.  The Canal folks are real clock watchers in this respect!  Daylight begins at dawn and ends at sunset.  In Panama that time is real easy to figure out, since daylight is very close to 12 hours long year round and is always close to 6:AM and PM.  I point this out mainly  because it is possible for the ship to enter the Canal at the Breakwater while it is still dark, however the passage through the Locks would be in daylight.  Precise execution of schedules at the Canal are more of a wish list😃.

Hi Bill, thank you for your in-depth and very informative explanation of the entire process.  I was wondering, is there a more preferable side of the ship when it is traveling through the locks?  We will be doing the partial transit on the historic locks in December.

2 hours ago, MochiiOwl said:

Hi Bill, thank you for your in-depth and very informative explanation of the entire process.  I was wondering, is there a more preferable side of the ship when it is traveling through the locks?  We will be doing the partial transit on the historic locks in December.

This question is discussed frequently. No, there isn't a preferred side. You need to be out and about, seeing the transit from various viewpoints. The bow while in a lock. The promenade deck while in a lock, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Totally agree that there is not a preferable side except for perhaps outside.  There are interesting things to take in from the various different vantage points.  In addition to being on one of the upper decks for an overall view, being down on the promenade deck as Bruce mentioned, lets you see just how close your ship is maneuvering so near to the lock walls.  Lots to see, take as much in as you can!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We will be doing the partial transit on Caribbean Princess in January. While going to the Pacific side would be interesting, I'm tempted to just stay on the ship for the duration. This ship has the nightclub where the "spoiler" would be on a car, which may be an awesome place to watch the transit from. Plus we have the drink package, so it could be a fine day on the ship. Plus it sounds like the dock in Colon has plenty of duty free shops. Can't think of anything I need but might be nice to wander and look.

Many people opt to stay on the ship for the return passage and it can be a very enjoyable day.  However if seeing the Canal was any significant part of choosing this cruise, it will be a missed opportunity.  If you have happened to see any of my other posts  about my feelings about staying on the ship in this forum, I usually say it's a 50 mile Canal, see more than 8 miles of it... and twice at that!

Your ship will use the new locks, this means if you stay on the ship you will not have an opportunity to experience the flavor of the original locks.  There are many more visual interests in the original locks, two parallel lanes to view, the unique use of the "mules" to help guide your ship... just more things to draw your attention.  Both those are missing in the new locks, yes the locks are large and impressive, but from your vantage point you will barely see the two tugs that assist you through and sometimes it is not easy to see the rolling gates open and close.  I don't mean to understate the process of lifting your ship from sea level to 85' above sea level to Gatun Lake, there just less to see in the process at the new locks.

As far as duty free shops at the dock in Colon, I think at best you will be completely underwhelmed.  Don't get me wrong, a stroll through there might yield a little nugget (I don't mean in the precious metal/stone variety), but there is nothing there that can't be missed.  Just for clarity, I hope you are not referring to the Colon Free Zone as this is really for commercial transactions.

Instead of the location for viewing you described as being a spoiler, I have heard it referred to as the shopping cart handle!😉  In any case enjoy!!

Edited by BillB48
  • Like 2

I had seen somewhere that Colon was mentioned as having the best duty free shopping in the Caribbean, then looked on Google maps and found the cruise dock, and dozens of duty free stores within blocks. So not that great, eh? That's OK, I don't really need anything anyhow. But I will discuss the excursion further with my better half and see what we decide. Thanks!

I think the Colon Free Zone is either the largest or second largest free zone in the western hemisphere, however it is set up as a supply center, assembly area for trans shipment of of cargoes, merchandise and equipment.  There are stores within the CFZ where merchandise is displayed and technically you can purchase it for shipment out of the country.  Rules may have changed since I was last there, but if you had a non Panamanian passport you were free to enter.  The procedure was to have the merchandise you purchased shipped to your departure airport or cruise ship where you will receive your goods at departure.  The process is almost identical to the duty free shops found in international airports.  Unofficially they would turn a blind eye to anything you could wear or carry on your person out of the Free Zone.  At that time you could drive your car into the Free Zone and upon leaving you had to drive through the security area with your trunk open.  The guards would politely turn their head as to not look in the trunk and close it for you.  Much of it was a wink and nod making it look like security was taking place.  Don't think I would try this today, things are different.  In short it its not set up for the non commercial customer.

There are shops at the pier in Colon that advertise duty free... who knows if it really is???  If you are knowledgeable on what you are looking and are a good negotiator then it is possible to get a good deal whether or not duty has been paid.   

If you stay on the ship for a partial transit and hope to get off for some kind of tour once you reach Colon, you could be disappointed.  We did one partial and did not do a tour.  We arrived in Colon about 30 minutes before dark.  Of course, it's not really safe to leave the port area but we could not if we wanted to.  Another ship was late leaving so our ship had to sit out at sea waiting for it to leave.  And, the tour that took passengers through the rest of the locks arrived back at the ship around 10:30 pm due to having to wait to transit.  Canal transits are very unpredictable.  On one full transit, we entered the canal in the dark and left in the dark, entering the Atlantic locks at daybreak and leaving the Pacific locks at sunset--I was reminded when I looked at the pictures recently.

Transiting the canal is one of the most fantastic things you can do, but sometimes patience is required.

Edited by mcmarya

Thank you mcmarya for sharing your experience. We want to do the partial transit until the lake and then leave the ship with a tour as I hope that we will arrive in Colon BEFORE the ship that way. I read that they will shuttle you back to Colon after the tour.

However, if the ship arrives at 10.30pm this will be a LONG WAIT in Colon and I would rather stay on the ship then... what was your planned arrival/departure?

I don't recall the details since it was a few years ago.  I'm sure our experience was unusual.  The tour through the locks was apparently poorly organized with lots of delays everywhere.   Our itinerary shows the ship being in Colon from 5 - 8 pm.  The ship with the non-tour takers arrived in Colon around 6 pm. I don't recall what time the tour was originally supposed to return but it did not arrive until 10:30 pm so the tour lasted 13 hours.  Departure was delayed so we arrived an hour late in our next port.  I don't know if any of the other tours arrived in Colon much earlier in the afternoon so that there might be an opportunity to do something there.

On 9/29/2022 at 4:55 AM, MochiiOwl said:

I was wondering, is there a more preferable side of the ship when it is traveling through the locks?  We will be doing the partial transit on the historic locks in December.

As others have noted, there isn't a preferable side, as you want to experience the transit from all perspectives.  I will add, though, that there are certain points of interest along the way that can only or best be seen from one side of the ship.  For example, if you are going through the original locks, heading south, the remnant of the original French excavation can (best) be seen from the starboard side (or the bow) shortly before the entrance to the Gatun Locks.  It looks like a little creek. 

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQbF9zYU3g7QTB8jYzA9ehut?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1571676789

(photo by turtles06)

• Like 1