Live B2B2B2B Carnival Spirit Alaska/Panama Canal/Caribbean

jam19872016

The next morning we were in our first port of call after four sea days, Cabo San Lucas.

Unfortunately this port was a bust for us. It was HOT and I mean melt your face off hot. 

The vendors were very aggressive and in your face everywhere you tried to walk.

This is very much not a diy kind of port. Plan an excursion or definitely prepare to be disappointed.

I would probably not get off here again unless I had plans. The big draw seemed to be camel riding. I can't say that I have any desire to ride a camel lol.

• Like 2

I started with the loaded nachos.

20220928_202957-X2.jpg

These were a huge letdown. Cold chips woth cold toppings. Not good at all.

Next was taco de carnitas.

20220928_203432-X2.jpg

This didn't look promising but turned out to have a good flavor to it.

Next up was pescado frito.

20220928_204824-X2.jpg

Each dish was better than the last and this was absolutely amazing.

Then just when I thought the food couldn't get any better, they brought my chili rellonos.

20220928_204829-X2.jpg

Yum! This is going to end up as one of those things I drool about later when I think about. If you don't like spicy, don't use that red sauce it packed a good punch. 

Dessert was just ok, but I'm not a big fan of cream Catalina. It was decent enough and worth a try if you like creme Brule.

20220928_210649-X2.jpg

• Like 4

Dinner was very good but I suspect there will be no jijis dinner since they only had two extra menus to come up with.

I think there was a missed opportunity here to call this Mexican night and decorate the MDR Mexican colors. Same for the other night, cucina could have been Italian night.

• Like 1

We are definitely rocking and rolling tonight. The outside deck is covered in ocean spray and I don't mean cranberry juice. Looks like it's been raining but it's not.

I suspect deck 10 and 11 forward will be closed because they were last night so walking track will be inaccessible. Gonna hit the gym before it closes since even the deck 3 Promenade isn't gonna be suitable for walking tonigh.

BTW, I'm disappointed in how many of my fellow passengers don't understand geography. Apparently we are feeling the effects of the hurricane. The one in Florida 🤔

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

FLASHBACK:

Going back in time to Saturday night right as the internet started giving me trouble.

I mentioned that the nights dinner menu was different sort of. 

It was a modified version of the Cucina Del Capitano menu.

Screenshot_20220924-204251_Carnival%20HUScreenshot_20220924-204305_Carnival%20HU

Screenshot_20220924-204322_Carnival%20HU

Oh my! I would looooove this menu! 

All of the upper decks were closed off this evening. I saw on the map channel while working out wind speeds of up to 62mph.

By the time I was done they had dropped to 42mph and only deck 10 and 11 fwd were closed off.

We are still being jiggled around a bit but it should make for a great night's sleep which is where I am headed to now.

Next up, throwback day at sea.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Our favorite day when on a Journeys cruise. Frog racing, horse racing, bingo with actual balls, great dinner menu, and possibly a midnight buffet. Enjoy! 😁

agree!! We had so much fun on the throwback sea day on the Pride.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

but it should make for a great night's sleep 

Nope. Spicy foods for dinner makes for a restless night's sleep these days. Oh well, that dinner was worth it.

Haven't looked outside yet but it feels like we are still sailing through heavy winds.

Going to slowly get ready and make my way to brunch.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Our favorite day when on a Journeys cruise. Frog racing, horse racing, bingo with actual balls, great dinner menu, and possibly a midnight buffet. Enjoy! 😁

2 hours ago, pirate4me2 said:

agree!! We had so much fun on the throwback sea day on the Pride.

Also looks like there will be a captains reception in the theater. I'm hoping that means drinks.

Noticed there was no midnight buffet on the schedule. Would have been cute to see but I couldn't possibly eat anything that late at night.

• Like 1

Went up to the walking track first thing today before it got too hot. All the top decks were reopen this morning. It is still a little windy but much better than last night.

Then I went to brunch and ordered the skillet cake for the first time.

20220929_131152-X2.jpg

This was good but probably not something I can eat too often - way too high in calories.

• Like 1

80s throwback is in full swing this morning.

They had frog racing this morning and a thriller dance class.

The fun squad is dressed in their 80s attire and there are 80s photo backdrops up.

I'm gonna check out the horse racing at 115 and maybe stay for old fashioned bingo.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

80s throwback is in full swing this morning.

They had frog racing this morning and a thriller dance class.

The fun squad is dressed in their 80s attire and there are 80s photo backdrops up.

I'm gonna check out the horse racing at 115 and maybe stay for old fashioned bingo.

Try bidding for a horse. Makes it even more fun! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Try bidding for a horse. Makes it even more fun! 

I admit I failed today. I was getting up to go and a show came on the TV I wanted to watch. So i stayed. The show was no good and then the signal went out halfway through. O well, I have two more journeys cruises booked next year to try again 😀.

• Like 1

Flashback:

Going back to Sunday after coming back in from Cabo I did a trivia marathon. This is my favorite time to do it when most people are on shore.

Unfortunately I did not win any, and the prize was a medal instead of the coveted ship on a stick.

Captain's reception was nice. Very similar to the vifp party without the video. Drinks were flowing freely. I may have had two when all I wanted was a diet Pepsi 🤭.

Never did get that diet Pepsi lol.

Checked in now for dinner. It is a 70-80 minute wait. Yikes must be the whole ship is hungry at the same time. If I'm not at dinner by 7 I may need to attend the next Captain's reception 😁

• Like 1

Dinner was.....long. 

I won't complain about the wait time to get in. Carnival does MTD right and royal could learn a thing or two.

Dinner service, though, took way long Lee than it needed to, almost two hours. This was an anomaly and I'll chalk it up to formal night, service has usually been much better.

Tonight's throwback menu.

Screenshot_20220929-212244_Carnival%20HU

Screenshot_20220929-212251_Carnival%20HU

For my starter I got the ragout of wild mushroom.

20220929_214017-X2.jpg

I also got the oysters Rockefeller. 

20220929_214022-X2.jpg

They are there I promise 🧐

For my mains I ordered the ancho roasted salmon and the beef wellington.

20220929_221800-X2.jpg

20220929_221812-X2.jpg

For dessert I had a tasty bit very sad piece of baked alaska.

20220929_224110-X2.jpg

I suspect the presentation was quite different in 1987.

• Like 1