Unlimited dining package with 12 year olds

mowman

Needing some help clarifying the dining packages for our spring break trip 2023.. We are looking into the dining package for this trip and are confused. 

My twins are 12 and the only option I have when adding them to the unlimited package is the kids price @ $70 each. This is the 10$ / day kid menu price as I understand it. My boys will absolutely not be happy banished to the kids menu and would expect to order from the adult selections. Lets be honest, they will each out eat me and my wife combined. 

So what happens if I book the package at the rate it requires me to select, will I have to pay extra every time they order and adult entrée?

Thanks in advance. 

I can't access our guest folio from our March 2020 cruise anymore, but at the time my son was 12 (turned 13 a few months later) and whatever the option for the UDP for 12 year olds is is what we had for him. He ate off the regular menu every night, they never once brought him the kids menu. I'm not saying this is how it is on every ship, but this was our experience then.

No wonder the adult price is so high for UDP if they allow you to pay $$70.00 for minors and they get the same food as the full price!     What a deal for those with kids.   But in the long run it effects the overall price to run the program and therefore the price for everyone else.

3 minutes ago, 3yorkies said:

No wonder the adult price is so high for UDP if they allow you to pay $$70.00 for minors and they get the same food as the full price!     What a deal for those with kids.   But in the long run it effects the overall price to run the program and therefore the price for everyone else.

Well, once they turn 13 they are paying full price in any case, so this is a pretty limited scenario.  It's just those tweens that want to eat off the adult menu.

In my experience in eating at a speciality restaurant with a tween, he ordered off the adult menu and I prepaid the kid’s price. This was at multiple places on multiple ships. In fact at chops they didn’t want to even bring him the kids menu and they created a custom meal for him because he can be picky. 

It doesn't matter if you buy the pkg or just walk in and sit down with no package or pre planned anything....  your kids will be charged the price that corresponds to their age.... and they are allowed to eat whatever they want. 

Go and Enjoy

7 hours ago, 3yorkies said:

ppfffft

• Haha 1

On our recent 3 day cruise we had the UDP and my daughter who is 12 was charged the kids rate.  She was able to order, no issues, from the regular menu and was never handed the kids menu, except once(below).    In Chopped we originally ordered the kids minute steak (the menus were on the app- thinking it would be a more tender, thinner cut), the server insisted we should order the petite filet as it was a way better steak and he would butterfly it for her.

in fact the only weird thing regarding UDP/kids menu was in Hooked; the  maitre-D handed her the kids menu and reminded us that us if she wanted to order from adult menu he would charge her full price.  When our waiter came by he asked why we were using the kids menu and when I mentioned what the maître-d said he sort of rolled his eyes and said they never do that, please order whatever you like.  In fact in all the specialty restaurants they were practically asking us to order more items to ‘ cover the table’.

Edited by juksing
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

It doesn't matter if you buy the pkg or just walk in and sit down with no package or pre planned anything....  your kids will be charged the price that corresponds to their age.... and they are allowed to eat whatever they want. 

Go and Enjoy

I'm not sure that is always the case.  When my daughter was 12 she was charged the adult price for her meal in Chops on Oasis of the Seas.  I didn't question it, since she ate off the 'adult' menu.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

I'm not sure that is always the case.  When my daughter was 12 she was charged the adult price for her meal in Chops on Oasis of the Seas.  I didn't question it, since she ate off the 'adult' menu.

Same here. At Chops my Daughter with my Son(over 2 Decades ago) and this yr my 12yr old Grand Daughter were all charged Adult price eating off Adult Menus. Wouldn't expect anything different

• Like 1