"Live" from Oasis of the Seas 9/11/22

Malamel

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Malamel was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

I'll try to keep this going through this whole cruise.

I'm Mallory, usually a solo cruiser, this time I'm with my Aunt Judy.

We left home (Northeast PA) at 7:30, checkin time was 10:30, we were hoping to beat traffic.  We did, and by 9:30 had our first glimpse of the ship.  10am we were parked, and 10:45 on board.

I have only cruised out of NY so far, first impression I'm very impressed with Cape Liberty.   Super fast and organized checkin.

Due to another cruise leaving yesterday (per the lot attendant), and the previous cruise not fully disembarked yet, we were parked in one of the overflow lots. Still not a bad walk into the pier.

20220911_093600.jpg

• Like 5

We are in Central Park balcony room

12-253.  I originally wanted an ocean view balcony, but really couldn't beat the price with this.  Including insurance we're paying $750pp.  As soon as rooms are open, I'll get some pictures of ours.

While we were eating, we booked a few shows we didn't want to miss.  Dinner we're playing by ear, made a couple reservations.

We did stop by the spa and book massages.  First day special was a 75 minute for the price of a 50.  Still pricier than at home, but it's a "treat yourself" kind of trip.  I have reservations for the Aroma Stone massage at 2pm.  Still leaves me enough time to make it to sail away (even with this darn rain".  Then our 6pm reservation at Giovannis.

20220911_130000.jpg

18 minutes ago, Malamel said:

I'll try to keep this going through this whole cruise.

I'm Mallory, usually a solo cruiser, this time I'm with my Aunt Judy.

We left home (Northeast PA) at 7:30, checkin time was 10:30, we were hoping to beat traffic.  We did, and by 9:30 had our first glimpse of the ship.  10am we were parked, and 10:45 on board.

I have only cruised out of NY so far, first impression I'm very impressed with Cape Liberty.   Super fast and organized checkin.

Due to another cruise leaving yesterday (per the lot attendant), and the previous cruise not fully disembarked yet, we were parked in one of the overflow lots. Still not a bad walk into the pier.

20220911_093600.jpg

Looking forward to your updates!

Note to anyone who books a spa service on Day 1 - be aware of when the ship starts getting ready to sail.  They will test the safety alerts, which are blasted into the treatment rooms. And the spa is right at the front of the ship so there's extra noise as everything is being started up.

Still a wonderful massage, put me right in the relaxed vacation mode.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Malamel said:

Note to anyone who books a spa service on Day 1 - be aware of when the ship starts getting ready to sail.  They will test the safety alerts, which are blasted into the treatment rooms. And the spa is right at the front of the ship so there's extra noise as everything is being started up.

They are required to broadcast the alert everywhere on the ship with no exceptions.

Edited by BND

2 hours ago, Malamel said:

Did you say $50 for a 75 min massage?  That's an amazing price.

Day 2:

Had a very early wakeup, around 3am, for a medical emergency page.  Not sure what happened, I hope everyone is okay.

I'm an early riser for work, so I was up at the buffet around 6:45, then right to the Solarium and found a chair to park myself on.  A bit windy this morning, but hoping it warms up a little later.

Even while I was walking the pool deck at 6:30, the chair hogs were out in full force.  Still plenty of room in the Solarium, though.  

Spent a little time in the hot tub, then it got too windy, so plopped myself back in a chair and wrote a bit more of this.

20220912_073536.jpg

20220912_073544.jpg

• Like 3

I just got off yesterday. The ship is absolutely beautiful. There were a few disappointments I do have to say though…

1) The food in the dining room was very good however the Buffett food was nothing more than reheated TV dinners and it was the same food all 7 days (mostly burgers, hotdogs and rice)

2) The lines entering the Buffett were crazy at times where we would have to wait upwards of 15-20 minutes to be let in.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, DrewCC2225 said:

I just got off yesterday. The ship is absolutely beautiful. There were a few disappointments I do have to say though…

1) The food in the dining room was very good however the Buffett food was nothing more than reheated TV dinners and it was the same food all 7 days (mostly burgers, hotdogs and rice)

2) The lines entering the Buffett were crazy at times where we would have to wait upwards of 15-20 minutes to be let in.

Yeah I haven't really been impressed with the buffet.  Breakfast wasn't an issue bc I'm up fairly early, before the crowds.  But lunch time, there didn't seem to be any "slower" times.  Spent 20 minutes in line, then kept having people push in front of me at the actual buffets, for food that really wasn't worth it.

• Like 1

Day 2 continued..

We had a few hours of crappy weather, so I went back to the room and napped for a bit.  Woke up to some sun, but by then it was time to start getting ready for dinner.

Note for dinner reservations:  Do not wait to make them.  We made 4 days ahead of time then decided to wait until we were on board to make more in case we wanted to repeat.  While I know there are occasionally "walk in" opportunities, most were filled up by the end of Day 1.

We had our first "formal night" dinner at Solarium Bistro.  I unfortunately forgot to take pictures but the dinner buffet is amazing.  For my main I decided to try something new and had the Lamb Tagine duo.  While it wasn't bad, I just wasn't a fan and probably wouldn't order it again.  Dessert was the Crema Catalana, which I absolutely would have over and over again.  We were lucky enough to get a 6:30 reservation on the last night of the cruise as well.

We went to the 8:30 comedy show.  It was pretty good.   After not sleeping well the night before, we went to bed around 10.  The beds definitely arent the most comfortable ever, the pillows are amazing, but the mattress was pretty hard and uncomfortable. 

23 minutes ago, Malamel said:

Yeah I haven't really been impressed with the buffet.  Breakfast wasn't an issue bc I'm up fairly early, before the crowds.  But lunch time, there didn't seem to be any "slower" times.  Spent 20 minutes in line, then kept having people push in front of me at the actual buffets, for food that really wasn't worth it.

When your in port the buffet lines will be much shorter, it’s the sea days which are a disaster. Towards the end we just wound up grabbing some pizza on deck 5 and going to the MDR for dinner.

PS: Loving the updates, keep ‘em coming 

Following along and thank you for doing this! We sailed Oasis last October when we started cruising again. Was only 40% capacity then and masked. We sail again Oct 2nd so great to hear how ship is now without masking and higher capacities.

George in NY

Wife and I and adult children were on the Oasis the first week of last December. The ship  was about half full, no waiting for anything. Very nice. Things have changed.  We have another cruise early this December on the Explorer. That's usually a down time to go but we'll see.

Edited by mac66