CPP - only FCC if using TA?

SetAnOpenCourse

Does HAL refund money when booked directly with them, and only give FCC when canceling and booked through (some?) TAs?  A big online “Vacations*” TA (specializes in cruises) is telling me that HAL Platinum CPP would be FCC if I cancel.  At the same time they’re saying the CCP works exactly the same as if  I got it directly from HAL.  Plus, they’re saying the FCC in such a case would simply expire (no refund ever).

Any insight?

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse

I’m confused. Are you talking about canceling a cruise before final payment and penalties kick in, or essentially using the CPP to cover the cancellation inside the penalty period? Or canceling under the Covid policy?

I canceled a few hours before the Pause was announced and got 90% back eventually ( several months later). Quite a long time later a FCC showed up on my account that was roughly the cost of the CPP.  This of course was prior to the Covid policy.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

35 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I’m confused. Are you talking about

I’m talking only about CPP and if there’s a difference (booking direct with HAL vs. TA) in the form of reimbursement (FCC vs. credit card refund) for a cancellation where the CPP (platinum 90%) is applicable.

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SetAnOpenCourse said:

I’m talking only about CPP and if there’s a difference (booking direct with HAL vs. TA) in the form of reimbursement (FCC vs. credit card refund) for a cancellation where the CPP (platinum 90%) is applicable.

Okay, I think I understand.

In 2018 I canceled 4 days prior to leaving and used my CPP to receive 90% back. It came back as credit in my credit card account. I had booked with the Big Box store that is known for bargain rotisserie chickens and $1.50 hotdogs and soda combos and hails from the PNW.

Likewise, I eventually got credit back (90%) in my credit card account after using my CPP when Covid hit. The FCC that mysteriously appeared in my account I believe may have been the cost of the CPP. Or it might have been the remaining 10%. (Either way, I did not expect to receive it.) That trip was also booked with the same BigBox.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SetAnOpenCourse said:

It would seem the big box shared your credit card number with HAL, which surprises me, although it is in your best interest.

You want your agent to give HAL your credit card number because you want the cruise payment to go directly to HAL, not to your agent.

• Like 2