Chill Island Beach Beds on Coco Cay

On previous sailings we've gotten either a cabana or a beach bed in South Beach. However, when my husband was booking excursions, he accidentally got a beach bed on Chill Island instead of South Beach (much to my dismay.) For those that have been over there, what is the area like? Is there even a beach or is it all rocks? Also, do you get food and drinks delivered to you like the cabanas and beach beds on South Beach? 

This is more of a question about the South Beach beds, but how did you like them?  Nice area of beach/water?  Last time we were at Coco Cay we noticed a lot of sea grass by Chill Island, but have never been to the South Beach area.  Just booked one for a January sailing.  Didn't know you could get things delivered to the beach beds.

14 hours ago, Carpy the Cat said:

On previous sailings we've gotten either a cabana or a beach bed in South Beach. However, when my husband was booking excursions, he accidentally got a beach bed on Chill Island instead of South Beach (much to my dismay.) For those that have been over there, what is the area like? Is there even a beach or is it all rocks? Also, do you get food and drinks delivered to you like the cabanas and beach beds on South Beach? 

The chill island beds are 3 rows deep. We did not have food delivered (didn't know that was a thing at South Beach beds). Bar service was available although they didn't come by often. 

It didn't feel too crowded, but we had bed #1 last week and that's right on the end, front row. We were out of the way. They do have the breakwater rocks, but there's a beach and bay to swim/float. Great views of the ship and of Great Stirrup Cay.

As soon as you board go to Shore Ex desk and see if you can pick your bed and choose from the map.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cgags47 said:

This is more of a question about the South Beach beds, but how did you like them?  Nice area of beach/water?  Last time we were at Coco Cay we noticed a lot of sea grass by Chill Island, but have never been to the South Beach area.  Just booked one for a January sailing.  Didn't know you could get things delivered to the beach beds.

I preferred South Beach because I felt it was quieter. it's all sand and kind of shallow in parts but you can get spots in the water where you can truly swim and float. Plus, the last time we sailed back in 2018 staff delivered food and drinks to both the cabanas and the beach beds. 

We were hoping for a "chill" experience with a Chill Island beach bed, but there were waiters being attentive to drink orders from the neighboring beach chairs and scampered away from us 3x. I decided to just grab my own drinks and sat back to enjoy the view. The bed was lovely and comfy. 

The chill was interrupted by 2 twenty-something guys-one directly behind us and one across the way, both blasting competing boom boxes. Royal staff ignored it. 

1 hour ago, Florida Glamazon said:

We were hoping for a "chill" experience with a Chill Island beach bed, but there were waiters being attentive to drink orders from the neighboring beach chairs and scampered away from us 3x. I decided to just grab my own drinks and sat back to enjoy the view. The bed was lovely and comfy. 

The chill was interrupted by 2 twenty-something guys-one directly behind us and one across the way, both blasting competing boom boxes. Royal staff ignored it. 

Did you ask them to turn it down or raise concern to the beach bed concierge? I had to complain multiple times on a recent stay, and eventually a supervisor showed up and offered to move us to a cabana. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, nolegirl01 said:

We haven't experienced the Chill Island day beds but we absolutely loved South Beach. It is 1 row of beds and I don't think it gets too crowded. 

What's the water like over in South Beach?  Smooth sand bottom, any sea grass?

5 minutes ago, cgags47 said:

What's the water like over in South Beach?  Smooth sand bottom, any sea grass?

Smooth sand bottom for the most part... there were some dark patches as you get deeper and I think those were sea grass but it was small tiny patches... the majority of the beach area was smooth sandy bottom. I had water shoes on but as the day progressed I took them off and it was fine.

16 minutes ago, nolegirl01 said:

Smooth sand bottom for the most part... there were some dark patches as you get deeper and I think those were sea grass but it was small tiny patches... the majority of the beach area was smooth sandy bottom. I had water shoes on but as the day progressed I took them off and it was fine.

Great, thanks for the info!

On 9/15/2022 at 10:41 PM, robmtx said:

Did you ask them to turn it down or raise concern to the beach bed concierge? I had to complain multiple times on a recent stay, and eventually a supervisor showed up and offered to move us to a cabana. 

They ignored me when I said something to the 20 somethings and the young guy behind the concierge desk didn't seem to give a darn about much of anything. He didn't bother asking a waiter to help with drinks after I asked (and waited a long time). I asked about it and he said he'd say something. He didn't. It started raining about 2 hours into the beach bed experience, so we went back to the ship.

22 hours ago, cgags47 said:

That water looks great

Only if you are the first one there.

The sand is like glacial silt. Once you stir it up the water quickly becomes very murky. Once the crowd arrives you cannot see your feet in knee deep water.

South beach seems a little better then Chill beach though.

1 hour ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Only if you are the first one there.

The sand is like glacial silt. Once you stir it up the water quickly becomes very murky. Once the crowd arrives you cannot see your feet in knee deep water.

South beach seems a little better then Chill beach though.

Thanks for the info!