Cel summit Gluten Free Maine East Canada review

suefrankw

So I was on the summit 4 months ago and again right now.  Love the refurbished done.. lots of nice spaces to relax. This time... Definitely a full ship. And many many new crew that are very green in our opinion. Someone said they just brought in a mostly new crew.  I knew the last cruise told us many were leaving over the summer so new crew would be in but so many at one time.  They had trouble finding the dining room table numbers.... were not sure of things when asked questions and a noticeable absence of supervisory staff.

So the gluten free stuff... 4 months ago I was very pleased with the gluten free response... pre and on the cruise. However today is a different story..... one good thing is that dining room items are clearly marked with allergy options... however our waiter told me they could not make any gf desserts... I thought that odd but okay......food in the dining room to us was very basic....and some lacked flavor. We opted for the buffet and I stuck to the fresh veggies and salad bar. I was looking forward to the gf pizza as I had had it twice several minutes baths ago. This time the staff member said gluten free ok . I advised it was an allergy and it would be cooked in the back with separate veggies right?  He looked at me.. opened the door halfway pulled out a. Gf pizza ball unrwrapped it and placed it on a tray that he just unloaded a regular pizza. so much for celebrity ‘ allergy aware’ program...also in the coffee shop, they used to gs from the cookie jar for the gf muffins and macaroon... very disappointed.. I so wanted to love celebrity. They seem lacking in customer service...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/14/2022 at 6:03 PM, suefrankw said:

However today is a different story..... one good thing is that dining room items are clearly marked with allergy options... however our waiter told me they could not make any gf desserts... I thought that odd but okay......food in the dining room to us was very basic....and some lacked flavor. We opted for the buffet and I stuck to the fresh veggies and salad bar. I was looking forward to the gf pizza as I had had it twice several minutes baths ago. This time the staff member said gluten free ok . I advised it was an allergy and it would be cooked in the back with separate veggies right?  He looked at me.. opened the door halfway pulled out a. Gf pizza ball unrwrapped it and placed it on a tray that he just unloaded a regular pizza. so much for celebrity ‘ allergy aware’ program

That is not good at all. People don’t seem to understand that that gluten free food placed on a tray with regular wheat flour on it is no longer gluten free at all. Yes, celiacs do need chefs and food  preparers and handlers who take  the disease/ allergy seriously. We don’t ask for special food- just special care with it. . I am getting very nervous about cruising when i read things like this. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, stellarose said:

if we are vegetarians do we need to ask for a separate menu? 

I am sorry they cross contaminated your pizza.  as a parent with two kids with severe nut allergies- I hear your concern. 

Yes and they are available the night before so you can let your wait staff know what you desire and any changes to that item necessary.

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Like 2

On 9/14/2022 at 4:03 PM, suefrankw said:

So I was on the summit 4 months ago and again right now.  Love the refurbished done.. lots of nice spaces to relax. This time... Definitely a full ship. And many many new crew that are very green in our opinion. Someone said they just brought in a mostly new crew.  I knew the last cruise told us many were leaving over the summer so new crew would be in but so many at one time.  They had trouble finding the dining room table numbers.... were not sure of things when asked questions and a noticeable absence of supervisory staff.

So the gluten free stuff... 4 months ago I was very pleased with the gluten free response... pre and on the cruise. However today is a different story..... one good thing is that dining room items are clearly marked with allergy options... however our waiter told me they could not make any gf desserts... I thought that odd but okay......food in the dining room to us was very basic....and some lacked flavor. We opted for the buffet and I stuck to the fresh veggies and salad bar. I was looking forward to the gf pizza as I had had it twice several minutes baths ago. This time the staff member said gluten free ok . I advised it was an allergy and it would be cooked in the back with separate veggies right?  He looked at me.. opened the door halfway pulled out a. Gf pizza ball unrwrapped it and placed it on a tray that he just unloaded a regular pizza. so much for celebrity ‘ allergy aware’ program...also in the coffee shop, they used to gs from the cookie jar for the gf muffins and macaroon... very disappointed.. I so wanted to love celebrity. They seem lacking in customer service...

We were on the Summit in September on the NE/Canada cruise. Agree with the  revolution. No issues with staff no matter their job title. We didn't have any special requests so our customer service experiences wasn't what you experienced. 

• Thanks 1

Vegetarian is clearly marked on the menus as is gluten free. I think sometimes people assume vegetarian is gluten free....but does not hurt to double check. Also the menus for the cruise are posted on the Celebrity phone AP.

As far as customer service,,, the staff was very friendly and always smiling... the fact that SO many were new to the ship & Celebrity I think was the issue.

It is just discouraging. I am hoping that all those 'new' staff will receive more training and be more seasoned for our next voyage.

Being honest..... Royal Carribean was much better for gluten free eating & going out of their way to be sure I had different foods.