Question for Maui car renters

rg123

So for those renting a car in Maui, just curious what you might do. We were planning to go to the Maui Ocean Center, check out Lahaina, and go to Fleetwood’s on Front St for 3 pm happy hour and then maybe dinner somewhere. Haleakala seems pretty far. After all our deliberation for renting and where to rent, I really don’t know if we truly need a car or not. Thoughts?

4 hours ago, rg123 said:

After all our deliberation for renting and where to rent, I really don’t know if we truly need a car or not. Thoughts?

If you are tendering into Lahaina you don't need to rent a car for any of that-- an Uber will do fine. If you are docking at Kahalui the rental are would be more helpful. You may choose to not go to the Maui Ocean Center due to distance if you are tendering but it will be on the way if you are driving from Kahului. 

Haleakala is far-- it is it's own afternoon. Wouldn't be high on my list if I had limited time on the island. 

Fleetwoods is great for drinks-- would highly recommend Lahaina Grill for dinner if you can get a  reservation. 

• Thanks 1

If the Maui Ocean Center is an absolute must do on your day, a car maybe helpful. You can use uber also, but I would want to have a pre-set uber for the return trip to Lahaina. Getting an uber from the Ocean Center itself might be challenging. Uber is getting better on Maui, but it has a long way to go.

If you skip the Ocean Center then you can easily spend a day just hanging around Lahaina or take an uber up to Whalers Village if you want a beach. Getting an uber to/from Whalers should be no problem at all :).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1