Question re Viking River cruise

2cruisecats

We have taken 3Viking  Ocean cruises  and booked a River while on our last Ocean. We have never done a river cruise (any line).  For excursions, there are included and optional -- are the optional still booked by cabin category or other?  I'm told one restaurant, but can you book table and time?  Yes, basic questions.  Any advice, or  notes on  anything we should be aware of,  would be welcome.

17 minutes ago, 2cruisecats said:

We have taken 3Viking  Ocean cruises  and booked a River while on our last Ocean. We have never done a river cruise (any line).  For excursions, there are included and optional -- are the optional still booked by cabin category or other?  I'm told one restaurant, but can you book table and time?  Yes, basic questions.  Any advice, or  notes on  anything we should be aware of,  would be welcome.

One dinning room with one seating. There is also the Aquavit area with limited 2-top and 4-top tables. Tables Cannot be reserved.

As to signing up for any of the excursions... the suites do get a shot at them earlier than the lesser cabins. Can't recall the specifics but they are detailed in the Viking River information on their various cabins and suites. 

• Like 1

One of the things I really enjoy about Viking river cruises is the no reservation open seating dining experience. I’ve met a wide variety of people and made new friends on every trip. It’s not for everyone but I really enjoy the experience of sitting at a large table of strangers and getting to known them over the course of the cruise. Since the number of passengers is so much smaller, it’s a more intimate experience. 

Once you are onboard the reason for a single seating will be obvious. In most cases you are off the boat sightseeing all day, return just before dinner to change, attend the port talk (things can change daily so this is highly recommended), and off to the dining room for dinner, drinks, and conversation. Then maybe a nightcap and/or light entertainment and off to bed.

River cruises are about the port experiences and scenery, and less about the ship itself.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 4

Like quite a few other Viking repeat passengers, our first cruise of any kind was a Viking River cruise. (Thank you, Downton Abbey!). We enjoyed that so much that we booked our first ocean cruise after that, and more after that one. We really like both, with a slight nod to Viking Ocean. 

Most people we have spoken to have taken our same path: river, then ocean. I hope that you will do your research so that you will know that while much is the same (same outstanding Viking crew, same style decor, same good food), but not as many choices of things on the river cruises. OneSixtytoOne in the previous post did a good description of how that changes things. 

Both River and Ocean are great vacations, but just different experiences. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Haqdeluxe said:

One dinning room with one seating. There is also the Aquavit area with limited 2-top and 4-top tables. Tables Cannot be reserved.

As to signing up for any of the excursions... the suites do get a shot at them earlier than the lesser cabins. Can't recall the specifics but they are detailed in the Viking River information on their various cabins and suites. 

Actually, there is no priority for suites in booking excursions ... just early stateroom access (12:00 noon for suites, 3:00 PM for other cabins.  All cabin categories can embark at 12:00.

There is one dining room and one seating for dinner, however breakfast and lunch are scheduled and you may go to eat when it suits you.  The last river cruise we were on breakfast was 7:00 - 9:30 and lunch 11:30 - 1:30 most days.

• Like 1

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Question re Viking River cruise

Unlike Viking ocean cruises there is not a mad rush to sign up for excursions on the river cruises. Excursions for most cruises are posted months in advance and you can sign up as soon as you are booked and they are posted. I would say close to 75% of optional excursions are available up until MVJ closes and we have often signed up for optional excursions after we were on board. Obviously some have limited numbers and will be full but nothing like occurs on the VO cruises. 

• Like 1

@2cruisecats it's a shame you didn't post which river cruise you have booked, as there are different boats on the Mississippi and Douro. But most boats are the Longships.

There is one formal restaurant with waiter service at lunch & dinner. Although lunch & dinner times are shown you don't have to be there at that time, you can come in later. Early birds get first choice of tables, but come in 15 minutes later and you can choose who to sit with.

There's also an informal eating area at the front of the lounge - the Aquavit lounge - with a self-serve buffet - or ask the waiter and they'll bring you a dish from the main restaurant.

On nice days you can eat in the open at the front of the boat where there's often a barbecue chef griddling meat, burger etc.

Breakfast at anytime it's open is self-serve buffet with an egg chef cooking omelettes and fried eggs to order  hot and cold dishes, pastries and breads. The Aquavit lounge has a limited 'continental'  buffet breakfast for early risers from 06:00.

From 07:00 when the restaurant opens you can ask a waiter in Aquavit lounge to bring you up a hot breakfast.

I've been so far on 11 river cruises, 10 with Viking, but zero ocean cruises. From what I have read here, apart from being on a boat, there's little in common.

34 minutes ago, pontac said:

@2cruisecats it's a shame you didn't post which river cruise you have booked, as there are different boats on the Mississippi and Douro. But most boats are the Longships.

There is one formal restaurant with waiter service at lunch & dinner. Although lunch & dinner times are shown you don't have to be there at that time, you can come in later. Early birds get first choice of tables, but come in 15 minutes later and you can choose who to sit with.

There's also an informal eating area at the front of the lounge - the Aquavit lounge - with a self-serve buffet - or ask the waiter and they'll bring you a dish from the main restaurant.

On nice days you can eat in the open at the front of the boat where there's often a barbecue chef griddling meat, burger etc.

Breakfast at anytime it's open is self-serve buffet with an egg chef cooking omelettes and fried eggs to order  hot and cold dishes, pastries and breads. The Aquavit lounge has a limited 'continental'  buffet breakfast for early risers from 06:00.

From 07:00 when the restaurant opens you can ask a waiter in Aquavit lounge to bring you up a hot breakfast.

I've been so far on 11 river cruises, 10 with Viking, but zero ocean cruises. From what I have read here, apart from being on a boat, there's little in common.

Well... both the Viking ocean and river ships are painted white and have a beautiful Scandinavian design interior. 😊 Kidding you... beyond both being ships,  there's little else in common.  Cheers

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 1:26 PM, 2cruisecats said:

We had been on numerous ocean cruises, but did our first Viking River cruise this past August (GET Amsterdam to Budapest).  I agree with the other posts that besides being on a ship, they are very different experiences.  Some things not yet mentioned:  carefully consider the time of year that you want to cruise.  Our cruise was disrupted in a major way by the drought/low water levels in August.  We adhered to our original itinerary on only 4 of the 14 days.  We swapped ships in Nuremberg, because the ship could not continue, due to low water.  The ship was on the move while we were touring, so we were not able to go back on the ship for lunch or to freshen up.  We pre-booked a number of optional tours, and took all of the included tours.  Unfortunately, all but 3 of our optional tours were cancelled (still waiting for our refund from Viking).  Also be aware that the sundeck is closed for a good portion of the cruise, because bridges are low, and the ship has to fit under them.  Another big difference is the lack of after dinner entertainment/programs available.  What was offered was good, but could have had more offerings.  The dining situation is okay, in that you get to meet your fellow passengers, and will know many of them by the cruises end.  I know that I focused on some negatives, but on a positive note, the service was good, it was nice seeing places I had never been to, and we were able to spend all 14 nights on the ship, as opposed to subsequent cruises, which essentially turned into a bus tour, with overnight stays in hotels.  I hope this information is useful to you.

On 9/18/2022 at 11:54 AM, pontac said:

Thanks! I actually posted on the VO page looking for opinions on differences between Ocean & River,  but the admin moved it to the River Cruising page. I enjoy ocean cruising, esp Europe and N Atlantic region, for the wonderful coastlines, more than Carribean, and like the openness of Viking ships compared to other lines we've travelled.  Wondering how crowded the River vessels are.

We're doing Amsterdam to Budapest on Viking.  Nice to know about the Aquavit & that you can get a dish from the main restaurant if wanted.

Edited by 2cruisecats

20 hours ago, meg1021 said:

We had been on numerous ocean cruises, but did our first Viking River cruise this past August (GET Amsterdam to Budapest).  I agree with the other posts that besides being on a ship, they are very different experiences.  Some things not yet mentioned:  carefully consider the time of year that you want to cruise.  Our cruise was disrupted in a major way by the drought/low water levels in August.  We adhered to our original itinerary on only 4 of the 14 days.  We swapped ships in Nuremberg, because the ship could not continue, due to low water. ....... I know that I focused on some negatives, but on a positive note, the service was good, it was nice seeing places I had never been to, and we were able to spend all 14 nights on the ship, as opposed to subsequent cruises, which essentially turned into a bus tour, with overnight stays in hotels.  I hope this information is useful to you.

I read a lot about ship swapping this August.  We are doing Amsterdam to Budapest in the fall -- cooler and hopefully more water and swapping will be limited. It is important to know the negatives -- helps set expectations. My DH will enjoy meeting fellow cruisers but will miss the gym. I'm looking forward to wandering thru history.   

Edited by 2cruisecats

On 9/18/2022 at 11:54 AM, pontac said:

Question for a well travelled river cruiser  -- silver spirts, yes or no?  Or does it depend on the itinerary?  

3 hours ago, 2cruisecats said:

Question for a well travelled river cruiser  -- silver spirts, yes or no?  Or does it depend on the itinerary?  

For the most part... it depends very much on how much you imbibe in a single day, day in - day out. My experience has been that the upscale wine isn't consistent enough to warrant the expense. This save for the Bordeaux cruise but even then... meeeh. So again, how many cocktails do you typically drink every day? 

The great thing about Viking is your ability to bring your own alcohol onboard without issue. Find a nice  bottle or 2 while out on the town and you have what you like on hand. Otherwise you enjoy what is being served and I've always found that to be more than adequate. 

On 9/18/2022 at 6:33 PM, Haqdeluxe said:

Well... both the Viking ocean and river ships are painted white and have a beautiful Scandinavian design interior. 😊 Kidding you... beyond both being ships,  there's little else in common.  Cheers

I think it is an important point. If the OP is very happy with the ocean cruise experience of Viking one can assume that they will also enjoy the river cruise experience with Viking. But it is not a given. Personally, I do not agree with the payment policy of Viking for river cruises and would not book with them. I also have my doubts about the Grand European itinerary, mainly due to the frequent disruptions by low and high water - depending on the season.

Edit: I see the OP have booked.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

15 hours ago, 2cruisecats said:

We are doing Amsterdam to Budapest in the fall -- cooler and hopefully more water and swapping will be limited. It is important to know the negatives -- helps set expectations. My DH will enjoy meeting fellow cruisers but will miss the gym. I'm looking forward to wandering thru history.  

Now that you know what the negatives may be, you are well prepared. Joining a roll call will further help and add fun before your cruise. As regards the history - you are in for a treat, a 16 day long treat. :classic_smile:

Have a great time traversing the European continent.

notamermaid

17 hours ago, 2cruisecats said:

Wondering how crowded the River vessels are.

Many fewer people than ocean cruisers! 

Max 190 on the Longships - which is what you'll be on. There's enough room in the restaurant for everyone at the same time. There's plenty of public area sitting space.

I have never felt crowded - maybe the most crowded time is the pre-dinner tour manager's briefing when everyone is in the lounge. Since I have never heard anything useful that isn't in the Viking Daily schedule (which is placed on your bed while you are at dinner) I don't bother to go to the briefing, but listen to it on the Lounge Camera option on the in-room TV just incase while getting ready for dinner..

Don't forget, you'll have tours off-boat every day, and you don't have tenders, you can just walk off the boat and explore yourself as you wish.

I took the Grand European Tour in 2016 from Budapest to Amsterdam. It's a good trip!

RE low water - I have - touch wood - not suffered this in 10 cruises. This year was exceptional for low water, but high water is also a problem as boats can't pass under bridges. At least with Viking, because they have so many boats, is they can't pass under a bridge or there is a section of really low water then there's another identical boat coming in the opposite direction and both sets of passenger's swap boats. Same identical room.

Edited by pontac

17 hours ago, 2cruisecats said:

If you drink cocktails or spirits, yes. If you only drink wine or beer, no. But  - I don't know how it is in Canada - booking in the UK we have been given the SS package for free in our April booking and our 2023 booking.

Both people in the cabin must pay for SSP., so this might influence you if one doesn't drink much.

But there are passengers who plonk themselves on a bar stall and have cocktails all evening. If that's you, SSP is worth it.

You don't have to decide before hand, you can check the drinks list when you board and decide then. Not all drinks on the list - i.e. the more expensive ones - are included. And, as @Haqdeluxe says, you can bring drinks onboard no problem. You're going though wine country so you might want to get bottles ashore on the way; they'll happily open the bottle and serve it at meal times, no corkage.

Also, Viking are generous with drinks along the way, from the reception party, the Explorers Club party, on board wine tasting, aquavit tastings - TBH I didn't attend many on recent trips because wine at lunch and dinner was enough.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pontac said:

If you drink cocktails or spirits, yes. If you only drink wine or beer, no. But  - I don't know how it is in Canada - booking in the UK we have been given the SS package for free in our April booking and our 2023 booking.

You don't have to decide before hand, you can check the drinks list when you board and decide then. Not all drinks on the list - i.e. the more expensive ones - are included. And, as @Haqdeluxe says, you can bring drinks onboard no problem. You're going though wine country so you might want to get bottles ashore on the way; they'll happily open the bottle and serve it at meal times, no corkage.

Also, Viking are generous with drinks along the way, from the reception party, the Explorers Club party, on board wine tasting, aquavit tastings - TBH I didn't attend many on recent trips because wine at lunch and dinner was enough.

Included SS package -- nice!  We Canadians don't seem to get a lot of the special Viking offers.  On Ocean, we always purchase the SS package as we enjoy the wines on that list. But you make a good point about wine country and purchasing on shore.  Excellent suggestion.

On 9/20/2022 at 5:31 AM, notamermaid said:

Personally, I do not agree with the payment policy of Viking for river cruises and would not book with them.

I totally agree with you about Viking's payment policy.  In general, it's ridiculous. 

• Like 1