Amex platinum ncl confusion

cusematt4

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding booking a cruise with my Amex platinum card and benefits.

-does anyone know what the credit would be for a 7 or 8 night cruise per cabin?  Does it vary based on cabin type such as inside vs balcony?

-in addition to the credit, does each cabin get a dinner at le bistro?

-im debating whether to use a sapphire reserve which gets 3x points plus a 50 percent bonus making it 4x points vs what I believe is 1x on Amex platinum for cruises.  Is it worth the fewer points per dollar?  Booking direct with Amex would give us 2x points but I’d lose out on an agency onboard credit, and that’s still a difference on a large purchase from 4x points, pretty much evening out the $100 credit if that’s all it is.

-is it true that I can get the platinum benefits with a participating Amex travel agent and not just through amex?

-is the credit offer combinable with agency or ncl credit offers or promotions?

-if I’m booking two rooms, would each room get the platinum bonus and credit if booked on one family card?  Or would we have to use a separate Amex platinum card for each room?  For example if booking a room each for parents and kids, can a parent book both rooms on one platinum card to get the perks, or would I have to get an additional platinum card for my kids as an authorized user on my platinum account and book the other room under their card

thank you very much.

Edited by cusematt4

6 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding booking a cruise with my Amex platinum card and benefits.

-does anyone know what the credit would be for a 7 or 8 night cruise per cabin?  Does it vary based on cabin type such as inside vs balcony?

-in addition to the credit, does each cabin get a dinner at le bistro?

-im debating whether to use a sapphire reserve which gets 3x points plus a 50 percent bonus making it 4x points vs what I believe is 1x on Amex platinum for cruises.  Is it worth the fewer points per dollar?  Booking direct with Amex would give us 2x points but I’d lose out on an agency onboard credit, and that’s still a difference on a large purchase from 4x points, pretty much evening out the $100 credit if that’s all it is.

-is it true that I can get the platinum benefits with a participating Amex travel agent and not just through amex?

-is the credit offer combinable with agency or ncl credit offers or promotions?

-if I’m booking two rooms, would each room get the platinum bonus and credit if booked on one family card?  Or would we have to use a separate Amex platinum card for each room?  For example if booking a room each for parents and kids, can a parent book both rooms on one platinum card to get the perks, or would I have to get an additional platinum card for my kids as an authorized user on my platinum account and book the other room under their card

thank you very much.

1.  Not sure about lower categories, but…

-Balconies get $100 OBC

-Club Balconies get $200 OBC

-Haven gets $300 OBC

Plus, you get dinner for 2 at LeBistro and a bottle of wine with dinner

2.  Don’t know about Visa points.  

3.  yes

4.  yes, if the TA allows it

5.  all cabins booked with the AMEX PLAT are eligible.

Above has been my experience with my TA.  Check with your TA to get a more definitive response. They should be able to answer all your questions.

Like you, I have both.  I usually book NCL using my Sapphire Reserve card but that's because  I can't get the Amex benefits because I'm CAS.

Assuming you're not, running random numbers here:  2 pax X $1500 = $3000.  3% is $90 X 1.5 so $135 in value.  If one assumes $100 OBC plus dinner for 2 at Le Bistro with wine (value ~$100 approx.) you come out ahead with Amex.  That further assumes you would have otherwise paid for Le Bistro and bought a bottle of wine.  If that isn't something you'd otherwise be into, go with Sapphire Reserve.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 1