laundry

mrjrewing

17 hours ago, brillohead said:

Be advised that the "wash and fold" is a hot water wash and a hot dryer.  It's perfectly fine for exercise clothes, underwear, socks, etc., but not advised for anything that would shrink or anything with screen-printing.

My mother told me, as I was growing up, that hot water in the wash sets stains.  Well, for some reason an old cotton shirt got into my luggage that had several stains on it.  I had a little room left in a laundry bag and threw the old shirt in.  It came back spotless.  Something my wife and I could not do.  We use "Shout", peroxide, and a bunch of Internet hacks and the stains never came out.  I liked the shirt because if fit well and was very comfy.  I had that shirt on on the next day of sailing, a day at sea.  

LOL, when it came back, I had a funny image in my head of a little guy/gal sitting at a table for hours with a toothbrush and many chemicals scrubbing and scrubbing.  In reality, they are good at what they do.

Like you said though, don't use the wash and fold on delicate items/expensive items/things that haven't already been shrunk to it's max.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, brillohead said:

Be advised that the "wash and fold" is a hot water wash and a hot dryer.  It's perfectly fine for exercise clothes, underwear, socks, etc., but not advised for anything that would shrink or anything with screen-printing.

Also be aware that your clothes are washed with other people's clothes, if that matters. In their own mesh bags. 

• Like 2

On 9/19/2022 at 6:29 PM, mrjrewing said:

What does Royal Caribbean charge for a bag of laundry.

We are not high enough tier to get free bag of laundry

The cruise line does not use hot water washes for passenger laundry. 

And, for the "fill-a-bag", there are very limited types of clothing that can be sent in (i.e., anything that does not require special handling or pressing). 

image.thumb.png.57d80a89fed9dca78c9bdcbc4b791f7c.png

Anything not on the fill-a-bag list is charged at the regular prices

image.thumb.png.afcf22cfe714ec227a3e4274db911ca9.png

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The cruise line does not use hot water washes for passenger laundry. 

Unless this is a recent change, when I was on a behind the scenes tour, a few years ago, which included the ship's laundry, they were using very very very hot water in the huge washers that they were throwing in the mash bags full of passenger's clothing.  

5 minutes ago, moposh said:

I would think using hot water would cost more than using cold.  

I would think so too.  But, they do heat the water for many many reasons, obviously, and I would think that just adding in hot water for the laundry isn't that much of an increase in cost, all things being considered.  

The ship is powered by a liquid/carbon based fuel (diesel) to power the electric generators.  Other than powering the generators, everything else on the ship is powered by electricity, including the ship's propulsion/motors/Azipods (at least on the more modern ships).  On my last behind the scenes tour, on the Symphony, it was confirmed to me that there are no flame producing systems, including the galleys and Hibachi grills, used on the RCCL's more modern ships, maybe all.  Fire is a very very big concern on ships. 

Sorry for the extended remarks, I just find ship's operations very interesting.  I'd really like to have access, but it will never happen, to the ship's security systems as that is my background and great interest to me.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I would think so too.  But, they do heat the water for many many reasons, obviously, and I would think that just adding in hot water for the laundry isn't that much of an increase in cost, all things being considered.  

The ship is powered by a liquid/carbon based fuel (diesel) to power the electric generators.  Other than powering the generators, everything else on the ship is powered by electricity, including the ship's propulsion/motors/Azipods (at least on the more modern ships).  On my last behind the scenes tour, on the Symphony, it was confirmed to me that there are no flame producing systems, including the galleys and Hibachi grills, used on the RCCL's more modern ships, maybe all.  Fire is a very very big concern on ships. 

Sorry for the extended remarks, I just find ship's operations very interesting.  I'd really like to have access, but it will never happen, to the ship's security systems as that is my background and great interest to me.   

I've been watching Mighty Cruise Ships and I enjoy seeing the behind the scenes stuff.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 1:15 AM, brillohead said:

Be advised that the "wash and fold" is a hot water wash and a hot dryer.

It's not called the "Boil and Bake" for nuthin'.

I'm disappointed in the very restrictive list that can now be put in the bag. In the past, we've done bluejeans and other items that one wouldn't require special handling, pressing, or even folding.

The sport of packing so many items into a paper bag without it splitting was always challenging. I think our record was 36 items. Now there are limits, and probably a good thing since they would be equally stuffed into a mesh bag in the laundry.

15 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

It's not called the "Boil and Bake" for nuthin'.  LOL

The sport of packing so many items into a paper bag without it splitting was always challenging. I think our record was 36 items. Now there are limits, and probably a good thing since they would be equally stuffed into a mesh bag in the laundry.

Sport packing is 100% right-on LOL.  I use the old school method of rolling everything as tightly as possible and gently filling in every air pocket as possible, one layer at a time starting with the biggest at the bottom.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

I would not be surprised if they treated their engines as a co-generation plant with any excess exhaust heat and engine manifold heat being used to preheat water almost to the point of steam. The energy going to the laundry would have been wasted up the stack or exchanged to the sea anyway.

8 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I would not be surprised if they treated their engines as a co-generation plant with any excess exhaust heat and engine manifold heat being used to preheat water almost to the point of steam. The energy going to the laundry would have been wasted up the stack or exchanged to the sea anyway.

LOL, that's above my pay-grade

11 hours ago, publicpersona said:

I'm disappointed in the very restrictive list that can now be put in the bag. In the past, we've done bluejeans and other items that one wouldn't require special handling, pressing, or even folding.

Actually, as long as you're okay with the "no special handling" thing, you can go ahead and put whatever you want in the bag.  I've crossed off an item and written 'pants' or something in its place, and it was just fine.  

21 hours ago, publicpersona said:

If you know you will be using bring a roll of tape and tape the bag closed instead of tie and you can stuff even more in the bag.