Puerto Rico

55 minutes ago, pfdaxe358 said:

We have a stop in San Juan 4 weeks from today on Symphony. I would imagine, unless there's severe damage, we'll still make port. Time will tell I guess.

Have you seen pictures on the news? The whole island has no  electric power? Some parts of the island has had 30 inches of rain.

Edited by Jimbo

Most of the damage is on the side of the island away from San Juan.  Spoke with a friend who's daughter lives there.  Power outage is the main problem on that side.   This doesn't mean the disaster won't affect San Juan. We were there 4 1/2 yrs ago in January and San Juan was ok but employees had problems at home.

57 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Have you seen pictures on the news? The whole island has no  electric power? Some parts of the island has had 30 inches of rain.

I believe this to be untrue.    My favorite restaurant in old San Juan  is open to make Togo orders as of 10 hours ago.  And posting on social media. 
so not everyone is without power. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

I believe this to be untrue.    My favorite restaurant in old San Juan  is open to make Togo orders as of 10 hours ago.  And posting on social media. 

Most of the damage was in Ponce, not near Old San Juan. The restaurant in old San Juan might have it's own generator. 

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Yes. I do watch the news funny man. Like I said. 4 WEEKS from now. A lot can happen in less time than that.

4 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Most of the damage was in Ponce, not near Old San Juan. The restaurant in old San Juan might have it's own generator. 

That’s a possibility I’d guess. But they have cell service too.  As does a few other places I follow as there posting too.    

1 hour ago, pfdaxe358 said:

We have a stop in San Juan 4 weeks from today on Symphony. I would imagine, unless there's severe damage, we'll still make port. Time will tell I guess.

Agree. When St Martin was hit 20+ yrs ago the then Single Cruise Ship Pier was knocked out. Our Cruise Ship went just wks after the Hurricane but had to Tender ashore

1 minute ago, pfdaxe358 said:

Yes. I do watch the news funny man. Like I said. 4 WEEKS from now. A lot can happen in less time than that.

Yup, where it hit and 4wks from now most likely no issue

20 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

15 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

I would hope the cruise lines would hold up on porting their for a while to give them time to get things accessed properly after the recent storm. I'm sure there will have to be a lot of rebuilding in certain areas. All different  areas  will need to help each other.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I would hope the cruise lines would hold up on porting their for a while to give them time to get things accessed properly after the recent storm. I'm sure there will have to be a lot of rebuilding in certain areas. All different  areas  will need to help each other.

While I agree.  But PR needs these ships to survive.  Covid was hard enough. Last thing they needed was another storm.    
Hope things can recover very soon.    
I’ll be there in Feb.   love PR.   

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

While I agree.  But PR needs these ships to survive.  Covid was hard enough. Last thing they needed was another storm.    
Hope things can recover very soon.    
I’ll be there in Feb.   love PR.   

Right now only 2-3% in San Juan have power. Guess all would depend how the long it takes the rest of San Juan to have power restored.

From what I heard on news and read online it is SE PR that got hit the hardest.   SJ airport reopened yesterday afternoon with limited flights.   T-mobile and maybe others have set up generators on towers as well as cell on wheels.  

Major hotels in SJ experienced minor damage and some operating on generators. 

Some areas do not have drinkable water.

The less bad news is that rain instead of wind is causing the damage.  So as long as the power systems are not near low points or rivers, the power should be restored quickly. 

The other big problem with Ponce is water- the systems have overwhelmed the fresh water system- so the water is off. But the family I have there is at least prepared for that. And I made a battery back up that ran the fridge for a few days. 

San Juan will get back fast, and cruises should restart immediately. 

• Like 2

In 2017, Hurricane Irma skirted the island, causing some damage (Sep 7). San Juan was a functioning sanctuary for those who were able to evacuate from St Thomas. Hurricane Maria fully hit PR on Sep 20.  

Cruise ships returned Oct 7.  

Once again, San Juan is seeming to have been spared the worst of the storm.  Photos posted at National Park Service’s El Castillo today show a lovely day.  The beautiful old buildings in Old San Juan attest to its beneficial location after 500 years.

Hoping the return this year brings needed tourism dollars as we disembark.  And that our arrival is not a hindrance to the recovery for the people of Puerto Ricans.  

• Like 1