Booking via TA vs. Cruise Line

warbler

A TA is your representative with the cruise line, and is someone who can act in your best interest. It doesn't cost extra to use a TA.

Roz

There is speculation that if you book through HAL you stand a better chance of getting an upgrade. But there's no real concensus on that, plus nothing substantive to back it up. Most of us feel upgrades are totally in the hands of the elusive Upgrade Fairy!

We have never booked directly with any cruise line. We have a great agency that has treated us well over the years, so I'd just as soon continue to reward them with my business ... as long as they continue to provide the service level I expect.

Being an agent i can tell you that we are able to get our clients some extras that you will not get by booking directly through the cruise lines. Most of us spend many hours researching the best deals for our clients but there is much competition out there.

At least with personal service there is somebody to reach via phone if you need them for your many questions! Try doing that online or directly with the cruise lines.

Agree with all previous posters. Even with Mariner's fares & promotions HAL cannot compete with their high volume Travel Agents. Many of these agents hold Blocked space at a cut rate & some also cut their commissions. You can book with HAL to lock in your cabin. Then shop around & get prices. You can then have HAL release the booking to your Agent...

My DH, I & our friends booked our Prinsendam Amazon Explorer cruise next month directly with HAL last April..In August had HAL release the booking to an on-line (only) agent. The price was approx. 10% (over $1000 per couple) lower for an up-graded outside cabin on a higher deck:) ...Normally would book with an agent who can be reached via telephone, but because of the excellent rate, decided to deal with this INTERNET only agent...Found this agent on the Cruise Critic WEB site & they were well recommended by Heather & Randy who have booked with them & were extremely satisfied...

However, you have to be willing to do most of the leg-work & price comparisons. When we have Round Trip Cruises out of Florida & other East Coast cities, we usually book our own cruises, our own Insurance (on-line), our Car rentals, Hotels & Air to & from the Cruising point...We spend many hours of research & watch for fare reductions on a daily basis…We always leave our-selves enough time to handle an emergency…

IE: For a late evening departure from Miami, will leave home on the West Coast of FL (2 1/2 hr drive) by 10 a.m. to be sure we have enough time in case of emergency..

If arriving by air, suggest you get in a day earlier & overnight in a hotel..

At this time in our lives, we prefer not to handle our own air & transfers in Foreign Ports. In those cases, we've booked several cruises with an International Tour Operator who includes Air, Transfers & Hotels etc..

Have fun planning everyone..Betty

P.S. My friend & I have that savings earmarked for something extra special (don't know what yet) on this cruise!;)

On my current booking, I found HAL actually had extremely competitive prices. I looked at 6 agents (2 on-line types) and even the Navy's TA on base. I could save about $20.00 (US) over HAL. The on-line guys, while quoting a better price at first, actually ran about $20.00 more at the bottom line (even looked at a couple ads on this site, same difference). I have been paying strict attention as I can cancel my HAL reservations at a full refund right up to 4 months before sailing. I have not seen anything yet to make it worth my effort to do that. Now mind you, my two previous cruises I used a TA and because it was a first time sail on each line, saved a substantial amount. This time (using my Mariner's status) just didn't pan out that way. Like one of the other posters said, you have to shop around. I'm not advocating either way, just use the best way you can find.

The trick is to get a GOOD travel agent...mine has been a nightmare..and above her desk is a plaque that reads "Cruise Consultant"...we did get a better deal than booking with HAL - saved about $500 due to the block purchase - BUT the aggravation has probably cost more than that ! don't be embarassed to shop around...get a real expert...I've learned the hard way...

:mad:

On my current booking, I found HAL actually had extremely competitive prices. I looked at 6 agents (2 on-line types) and even the Navy's TA on base. I could save about $20.00 (US) over HAL. The on-line guys, while quoting a better price at first, actually ran about $20.00 more at the bottom line (even looked at a couple ads on this site, same difference). I have been paying strict attention as I can cancel my HAL reservations at a full refund right up to 4 months before sailing. I have not seen anything yet to make it worth my effort to do that. Now mind you, my two previous cruises I used a TA and because it was a first time sail on each line, saved a substantial amount. This time (using my Mariner's status) just didn't pan out that way. Like one of the other posters said, you have to shop around. I'm not advocating either way, just use the best way you can find.

with my travel agent I can cancel and get a full refund up until 70 days before the cruise.

Bill

when we first started cruising we used a locally owned TA.. no deals there.. then moved on over to a National TA.. the AAA variety at our local office.. haven't found a good brick and mortar TA yet that got any decent or special deals for us that we couldn't get ourselves either by going online or thru HAL direct.. they just seem overwhelmed and too busy...

most of our last 20 or so cruises we booked with an online TA after doing our own research for prices and itineraries.....the few cruises we booked direct thru HAL were within the last few weeks before sailing as spur of the moment last minute cruises on non-refundable fares....

if you have the time.. do your own research as good..dependable and knowledgable TA's seem hard to find and at this point for us are not worth the effort

I've done both. If someone has a real good TA who they trust then stick with them. These people are worth every penny. Sure there are lazy, bad agents out there but good agents know their products inside and out and will bend over backwards. Just treat the good ones with respect and you'll have a wonderful business relationship for life. And no I am not a representative of the travel agent society. I don't even have one that I regularly use.

Quite frankly I just do whatever I do but I first research on my own. For this year's cruise I went the TA route simply because I was getting a better price (on a cruise I never thought in a million years I would be doing) than what the cruise line was offering.

I wouldn't care so much about minor differences. If I had a real good agent and the cruise line was offering $20 or so less I would probably just stick with the agent. To me nickel and diming is just not worth the extra effort to run all over town but most times the differences are worth the decision.

Its like everything else in life I guess.

I agree, nickel and dimming is not that important but if you can get a genuine savings, take it. I did speak incorrectly when I said 4 months for cancellation with a full refund. I was in a bit of a rush when I posted and I don't want to mislead here. Our cruise departs on December 6th and I can cancel right up to September 21st without paying any penalty so that is more like 70 or 75 days before sailing. Sorry for the confusion.

Archived