Which Train Ride in Norway

sabrefan

Booked on Viking Homelands cruise  in May from Bergen to Oslo. Which train trip is more picturesque, Oslo to Bergen or Scenic Flam Railway? Right now we are doing a pre cruise in Oslo for two nights before the cruise, the train ride from Oslo to Bergen is included. The Flam railway can be taken as a excursion out of Eidfjord. Thank you in advance for your advice.

50 minutes ago, The Other Tom said:

I haven't done it but I have read good things about Norway in a Nutshell, which is a boat/train trip from Bergen to Oslo or vice-versa.

We did do the Norway is a Nutshell which was the Flam Railroad and a boat trip through the fjords from Oslo to Bergen before our cruise. It was a wonderful day!

Edited by katlew
typo

We have done both trains and they are both wonderful, if possible I would do both.

As millybess stated, the ferry ride to Gudvangen is just wonderful. When we did the Flam railway, we had an early morning departure. When we returned from the train ride  we bought a ticket for the ferry. Even though it rained, the ferry trip was outstanding. Very easy to do on your own.

Edited by biggerbearmom

4 hours ago, ColonyGirl2 said:

I ask that you read my post on the British Isles thread.  I just wrote about our DIY "Norway in a Nutshell" with an overnight in Flam. I included some photos from the bus, ferry and Flamsbama train.

Thank you for this information. We are going to do this in reverse in late February. I have thought of doing it ourselves but it really costs a lot less.

As far as the ferry and bus, did you just walk up to the ferry and buy tickets or did you do that in advance? We would be taking the bus after the ferry so I would imagine it would be the same thing? Do you happen to remember the name of the bus line? 

When we did the Norway in a Nutshell on our own, it was one ticket that we purchased. When one part of it finished, you were easily directed to where you needed to go next. We did not do the Flamsbama train with Viking as that train is usually very full. We decided to extend our trip in Bergen and do it all starting and ending there before flying back home. I think we got to see the most scenic parts of both possibilities (part of Bergen to Oslo and then the train to Flam, ferry and bus). It was a very full day but absolutely beautiful.

The bus is #950 and it is with Skyss,   We were very concerned that we did not have bus tickets but it turned out to be a nonissue .  Some people had bought tickets in advance at the Tourist Info Center in Bergen, but when they check tickets on the train, they apparently count how many are getting off in Voss and have the correct number of buses. We just paid the driver (with a card) as we entered.  We did book the ferry in advance with Norway's Best ( https://www.norwaysbest.com/things-to-do/fjords/fjord-cruise-naeroyfjord/), but only by about a month.  As I said we were able to get senior discounts on the train, ferry, and bus.

If you are doing it in reverse, they probably have enough buses at Gudvangen for everyone on the ferry.  I used TripAdvisor travel forum to ask all my questions and they quickly answered.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ColonyGirl2 said:

I ask that you read my post on the British Isles thread.  I just wrote about our DIY "Norway in a Nutshell" with an overnight in Flam. I included some photos from the bus, ferry and Flamsbama train.

Any chance you can drop a link?  Thanks

17 hours ago, ColonyGirl2 said:

I used TripAdvisor travel forum to ask all my questions and they quickly answered.

Dear ColonyGirl2,

We are planning the BIE cruise next spring and are planning a DIY trip from Bergen to Oslo (either NiN or just the train - haven't decided yet).  I regularly use TripAdvisor for planning and tried to find your posts on the TA Norway forum.  Can you please provide the dates of your posts?

Thanks!

We are cruising on Jupiter on May 22-29 Viking Fjords with a post 2 day extension in Bergen.  We would appreciate advice on either booking the Norway in a Nutshell during our Viking cruise, or book it during our extension?  I've been looking at Viator and it will be about $800 p/p.  I don't have a clue what Viking charges.  We book our excursions in October.  

Thank you in advance!

13 minutes ago, fount said:

We are cruising on Jupiter on May 22-29 Viking Fjords with a post 2 day extension in Bergen.  We would appreciate advice on either booking the Norway in a Nutshell during our Viking cruise, or book it during our extension?  I've been looking at Viator and it will be about $800 p/p.  I don't have a clue what Viking charges.  We book our excursions in October.  

Thank you in advance!

The Viking tour offered from Flam is not quite the real "Norway in a Nutshell" one - that is actually offered by a separate company:  https://www.norwaynutshell.com/   You would have to do that one on your extension (which appears to be hotel only?).

You may wish to research them - doing the tour from Bergen is a full day for about 1330 NOK pp (about $130 USD). The Nutshell tour includes a couple of train trips (including the Flamsbana - not to be missed) and a cruise in two of the Aurlandsfjord arms.

I don't have any experience regarding the Viking price, but the Viator one you quote seems quite high. The Viking tour is similar to NiN, but leaves out the fjord cruise - not the end of the world if you prefer it, as you will have seen some of the best of the Norwegian fjords in your route to/from Flam. Here's a teaser ... 🍺🥌

image.thumb.png.18472d01fb3dc9f3e3c50b96bd337467.png

• Like 1

Thank you Curler Rob and janetcbl!  I have checked those websites.  I believe that they are self-guided.  I think we are leaning towards a guided tour.  We're thinking it would be less stressful than trying to find the right public transportation.  Thank you for the advice that the Viking tour does not include the cruise.  We really want to see and experience the most possible.

Your picture is gorgeous!  We're so excited!

Thank you again!

6 hours ago, stcroixguy said:

Viking Shores and Fjords (Gotta love autofill ...😁)

You have a few options.

You can choose the NiaN tour that starts and ends in Bergen (see their website). The only redundancy with that tour and your Bergen to Oslo train trip is the portion from Bergen to Myrdal - not a showstopper in my opinion.

You also have the option of selecting Viking ship tours when in Flam. The full-day tour is similar to the NiaN stops but does not appear to include the NiaN boat cruise in Naerøyfjord and Aurlandsfjord. (See my post #15 above). Depending on the length of your port stop in Flam, you might also be able to use the NiaN service Flam to Flam, although I'd guess this to be unlikely.

If you have not been to the area before, I would be tempted to take the Viking tour from Flam, as it includes the Flamsbana railway and the Stahlheim Hotel (although I noted a post earlier that it was skipped recently). I would explore Bergen while there - the Fløibanen furnicular to the top of Fløyen makes for a great day. Another option is a half-day fjord cruise from Bergen.

Then finish with the Bergen to Oslo rail trip. It's hard to go wrong - enjoy whatever you select! 🍺🥌