Question about VC membership

styles27

I’m having a “Senior moment” and knew my friends on CC would know the answer to this. 

I am booking a cruise for my brother and his family. They are new to MSC so they don’t have a VC # yet 

Do they have to complete a cruise before they can join VC and be assigned a membership #?

My SIL phoned MSC because we can’t get them signed up…we keep getting an error message.  Two different reps told her they need to complete one cruise before they can join. 

It has been a few years since our first MSC cruise but I went back and on our invoice we received the VC 5% discount on that cruise and we each had a membership number.  

Have they changed that rule since 2019?

The only thing I can think of is that we had applied for status match when we booked our first cruise so maybe that is why we were able to join before we completed the cruise? 

23 minutes ago, styles27 said:

I’m having a “Senior moment” and knew my friends on CC would know the answer to this. 

I am booking a cruise for my brother and his family. They are new to MSC so they don’t have a VC # yet 

Do they have to complete a cruise before they can join VC and be assigned a membership #?

My SIL phoned MSC because we can’t get them signed up…we keep getting an error message.  Two different reps told her they need to complete one cruise before they can join. 

It has been a few years since our first MSC cruise but I went back and on our invoice we received the VC 5% discount on that cruise and we each had a membership number.  

Have they changed that rule since 2019?

The only thing I can think of is that we had applied for status match when we booked our first cruise so maybe that is why we were able to join before we completed the cruise? 

If my memory serves me correct, as soon as you have a booking number you are a YC member and can sign up.  If you do a status match after booking, you can get the benefits associated with the status you are matched to. Otherwise, you don't get any benefits until after the cruise.

I know that I did a status match after booking my 1st cruise and had the benefits of the status I was matched to, including the voyager discount on the 1st sailing.

Edited by dolphin1313
correction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, dolphin1313 said:

If my memory serves me correct, as soon as you have a booking number you are a YC member and can sign up.  If you do a status match after booking, you can get the benefits associated with the status you are matched to. Otherwise, you don't get any benefits until after the cruise.

I know that I did a status match after booking my 1st cruise and had the benefits of the status I was matched to, including the voyager discount on the 1st sailing.

That makes sense. That’s how we did it too. Thank you @dolphin1313

7 hours ago, blordos said:

I've signed up a passenger that wasn't a Voyager Club. It went fine. At the signing page there are two choices. One for having cruised with MSC before and one for the first time with MSC.image.thumb.png.4cdd9db03b2dcf008919677abf10271c.png

That confirms that we need to book their cruise and then sign them up. Thanks!