Distilled water for CPAP

Beaver1975

7 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

The water from the bathroom will suffice for a week.  It is better than your tap water at home.

No. The ship will provide distilled water. Just ask your room steward. And you should not put tap water from home into your CPAP machine. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

No. The ship will provide distilled water. Just ask your room steward. And you should not put tap water from home into your CPAP machine. 

You do you and I'll do me.  Been using home tap water for my CPAP unit for about 20 years and also on about 35 cruises on six different cruise lines.  You get a little build up in the water chamber and you just clean it. Every 6 months my insurance sends me a brand new chamber as well as brand new heated tubing.  Had a discussion with my sleep apnea doctor regarding possible build up within the machine and was told it's not a problem and using distilled water is only a recommendation and not mandatory.

7 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

The water from the bathroom will suffice for a week.  It is better than your tap water at home.

I think the cruiselines have little secret recruiters running around trying to convince everyone that the tap water is uniquely delicious.  

And they are relentless

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The $1.08/gallon cost of distilled water apparently adds up.

Have I used tap water in a CPAP?  Yes, when I was overseas and couldn't find distilled.  I scrubbed out the buildup so no permanent damage, just a bit of a hassle.

But if distilled is the recommendation, like putting premium gas in your car, I'm inclined to follow it.  Especially if NCL is offering a gallon of distilled water free of charge so it's not inconvenient to procure.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, phillygwm said:

But if distilled is the recommendation, like putting premium gas in your car, I'm inclined to follow it.  Especially if NCL is offering a gallon of distilled water free of charge so it's not inconvenient to procure.

Most of us are not auto mechanics.  We wouldn't know distributor cap from a hub cap.  So when we made the last second decision, "Premium or Regular", we had absolutely no empirical evidence on which to base that choice.  We flipped a psychological coin, and it usually came up Regular.  (We tend to default to what's cheaper unless we just got paid).

But in the case of a CPAP machine, it's not auto science.  Tap water leaves lime deposits.  So does bottled water because it's not filtered of minerals.  And the deposits can, at the least build up in your water tray over the heater, heat up and smell like burning hair.  Now you're breathing that drek.  And at worst the lime can invade the entire water path and shorten the life of your machine and become a host medium for bacteria.

Easy peezy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EvanBedar said:

Most of us are not auto mechanics.  We wouldn't know distributor cap from a hub cap.  So when we made the last second decision, "Premium or Regular", we had absolutely no empirical evidence on which to base that choice.  We flipped a psychological coin, and it usually came up Regular.  (We tend to default to what's cheaper unless we just got paid).

I think we're in agreement.  I only put Premium in my car, not because I can do anything more mechanical than pumping gas, but because the owner's manual recommends it.  I'm inclined to go with that.

Same with distilled water.  I'm told to do it, it's not horribly onerous, so I trust the judgement of those more knowledgeable on the subject than I.  Interestingly, distilled was difficult to find in some parts of Europe (Prague comes to mind.)  I used tap water then because I had to, but try not to make a habit of it.

• Like 1

I was on an NCL cruise 2 weeks ago.  I filled out the special needs form for an extension plug and distilled water.  I received an answer telling me to take my own extension cord, so I printed that email and packed the cord in my carryon in case I had to prove it’s legitimate.  I did not have distilled water waiting in the cabin, however the cabin steward cheerfully brought it within minutes of me requesting it!  Happy cruising!  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

I think this is why they have to put warnings on dish soap with lemon in it so you don't put it in you tea...  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mygreyhound66 said:

I was on an NCL cruise 2 weeks ago.  I filled out the special needs form for an extension plug and distilled water.  I received an answer telling me to take my own extension cord, so I printed that email and packed the cord in my carryon in case I had to prove it’s legitimate.  I did not have distilled water waiting in the cabin, however the cabin steward cheerfully brought it within minutes of me requesting it!  Happy cruising!  

Oooo!    Extension cord!    THANK you.  

9 hours ago, EvanBedar said:

I think the cruiselines have little secret recruiters running around trying to convince everyone that the tap water is uniquely delicious.  

And they are relentless

Never stated nor implied that I drank glasses of the tap water that is on board.  But I do fill my water chamber with it and have on over 30 cruises on multiple cruise lines.

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

15 ft.  4 bucks at Lowe's, kept in CPAP bag. 

Don't forget the duct tape so you can tape the extension cord down and not trip over it.  Standard duct tape is almost exactly the width of a credit card so wrap duct tape around an old card of some kind and throw that in your bag as well.

duct tape.jpg

drinking quality water is fine if the humidifier tub is cleanable-this is from the manual from my CPAP (ResMed Airsense11)

4. Open the humidifier tub and fill it with water.
Note: The humidifier tub must be removed from the device before adding water.

If using the HumidAir 11 Standard water tub, use distilled water only
If using the HumidAir 11 Cleanable water tub, use drinking quality water (potable).

This is my 3rd machine (using CPAPs for over15 years), at home I use distilled water, but on vacation I use bottled water (or tap). Have not had a problem.

It also helps to clean and change the tub frequently-I have one that I just use for travel,

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ngrund said:

drinking quality water is fine if the humidifier tub is cleanable-this is from the manual from my CPAP (ResMed Airsense11)

4. Open the humidifier tub and fill it with water.
Note: The humidifier tub must be removed from the device before adding water.

If using the HumidAir 11 Standard water tub, use distilled water only
If using the HumidAir 11 Cleanable water tub, use drinking quality water (potable).

This is my 3rd machine (using CPAPs for over15 years), at home I use distilled water, but on vacation I use bottled water (or tap). Have not had a problem.

It also helps to clean and change the tub frequently-I have one that I just use for travel,

All of these personal facts about your machine are interesting, but the cruise line provide distilled water, free of charge, so it is all a mute point. 

4 hours ago, EvanBedar said:

Oooo!    Extension cord!    THANK you.  

I carry a 12' and 6' light weight cord for my CPAP. That works for most NCL ships (since most staterooms do not have AC power near the bed). 

Edited by BirdTravels

3 hours ago, fava said:

Don't forget the duct tape so you can tape the extension cord down and not trip over it.  Standard duct tape is almost exactly the width of a credit card so wrap duct tape around an old card of some kind and throw that in your bag as well.

duct tape.jpg

I unplug it each morning and replug it in at bedtime (or if we take an afternoon nap)

7 hours ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

Do not use the water from the bathroom. That is a good way to ruin your machine. They will provide it. If you are worried, just bring a bottle with you. 

We'll have to agree to disagree.  Have used CPAP for over 20 years and on over 30 cruises and on my third machine with no problems.  But what do I know?